DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So much for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it may be a Felony in the US if you actually bring down a drone, but I'm not sure. I'm not a Lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

Unless, of course, the neighbor was a championship duck hunter.....

Unless, of course, the neighbor was a championship duck hunter.....
Here in Australia where I live we don’t have this ingrained gun culture. It just would be unheard-of here for someone to threaten somebody else with a gun that was flying a drone, just unheard-of, and I find it really weird to read about it happening in the United States.

Reactions: scoble08
Here in Australia where I live we don’t have this ingrained gun culture. It just would be unheard-of here for someone to threaten somebody else with a gun that was flying a drone, just unheard-of, and I find it really weird to read about it happening in the United States.
He probably just has a big mouth but, we do have our fair share of Nut Jobs. In any case, he didn't threaten the Drone Pilot, just threaten to shoot down the Drone. He still qualifies as an ( Mod Removed ) (Use your imagination).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would continue to fly. Like someone said it would be really hard to hit a small moving drone. If he actually tried and discharged his weapon the law will take care of him and if by some miracle he did hit the drone. He goes to jail and you sue his estate for the drone, and a whole bunch of other stuff. The only loser here is him. Keep flying don't let deranged neighbors control you. Have fun fly safe.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I think it may be a Felony in the US if you actually bring down a drone, but I'm not sure. I'm not a Lawyer and I don't play one on TV.

You are not only correct, but it's a FEDERAL crime to even shoot AT a drone, let alone shoot it down. Shooter can got to federal prison AND have to reimburse for the damage.

Property owners do NOT own the air above their homes. If they feel a drone is spying on them, they should take legal action. You are NOT allowed to look inside private homes/building with the drone, but as OP said, you'd have to be 5 feet from a window (during the day) to be able to see anything inside the home. If property owner is outside, then they have foregone their 'reasonable expectation of privacy' being outside.

I guess I can fly at home anymore. I live out in the country in a gated community and figured I'd be of flying locally. Guess not! Neighbor across the street came over and basically said "stop spying on us" because I fly over their house at high altitudes. Claimed he's shot it down if it came over the house again! No use explaining that at altitude I can't see anything but terrain and if people are out, they're just a dot! So I guess with no one understanding drones aren't spying on them, I have to go farther out in the country :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to show him a capture from Google Earth of his house. Probably has as much detail as your drone at 250'.

It would be interesting to show him a capture from Google Earth of his house. Probably has as much detail as your drone at 250'.

If I tried to show that guy a Google Earth photo he would still think I took it! There was no discussion possible in his present state of mind ;) The funny thing was his wife was screaming "I have kids here"! Ignorance is bliss!

Well when the neighbor says he's going to get out his gun and blow it out of the sky, he's beyond reasoning with. Luckily literally around the corner is miles of nothing but rolling hills! I shot this sitting in my courtyard, but I have to fly over some houses and not looking for any more confrontations. View attachment 98764
You wrote this......but I have to fly over some houses and not looking for any more confrontations. ........
Why do you HAVE to fly over houses to get to open land? Couldn't you stay over the center of the roads to get there? I would think that might solve the problem.
Also it is a FEDERAL offense to shoot at or shoot down ANY aircraft, RC models included.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Agree with not overflying this person’s home. Hopefully you informed him that while you’d comply, shooting down a drone is considered shooting down an aircraft.
I think you could continue to fly from home at altitudes discussed above... of course, your call.
That's a great point Tom . . . I never thought of that.

Bob is probably right. This type there is no reasoning with. Google Earth drives by and captures his house and plasters it on the internet. Does he shoot the Google Imaging Vehicle? How about satellites? They fly over and capture more than Bob's drone can. I guess if he had a SAM (I guess it would be a SSM) he'd take out the satellite?

This is all about his disdain for Bob flying a drone. Just 2 minutes from Bob (a safe informed pilot) would clear things up but he won't hear of it. It's sad . . .

I guess I can fly at home anymore. I live out in the country in a gated community and figured I'd be of flying locally. Guess not! Neighbor across the street came over and basically said "stop spying on us" because I fly over their house at high altitudes. Claimed he's shot it down if it came over the house again! No use explaining that at altitude I can't see anything but terrain and if people are out, they're just a dot! So I guess with no one understanding drones aren't spying on them, I have to go farther out in the country :rolleyes:

Well my friend you like many others have made one of the cardinal mistakes of flying drones. Don't fly over peoples houses!;)

Seriously i know you were probably being as innocent as can be but we see this thing all the time. People constantly think that any drone, no matter at what altitude, but if you can see/and or hear it, they're spying on you!!!!!

it sucks.... i know.(Mod Removed Remark)
You're best bet is maybe just tryna talk to him as a person and apologize, bring him a 6 pack or whatever and tell him you're just into landscape photography and that you won't bother him with the drone again.

If you're lucky he'll have a beer or two and chill out and maybe be interested to see how the drone works, but very likely not.
Don't push it. With someone that paranoid and armed in your neighborhood it may be in you're best interest to try to get on his good side. Idk shovel his driveway of snow or something. lol

Better to have a paranoid friend than a paranoid enemy

It's illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits. Everybody knows it.

Shooting into the sky will surely land ANYBODY in jail or with a stiff fine. Conversely, he doesn't control the airspace over your house, his house or ANY house. The FAA does that. So maybe he needs to be reminded of the law.

I usually use the "pebble, rock, boulder" approach. Start off nice and show him that you aren't spying on him. If he continues, move on to a rock and tell him you're going to fly anyway. Offer to call the cops for him. That's what I always do. The cop will LOVE to hear that your neighbor is willing to discharge his firearm into the air within city limits. Yeah....cops LOVE that.

The boulder is to tell him to [insert expletive here] himself and then offer to kick his ( Mod Removed Langage)if he doesn't mellow out.

D

Brand new member here and wanted to give you some words of support like the others have.
I have had countless experiences woth neighbor issues as well and I hope you can stand up for yourself and not be in fear. To be that uncomfortable at your own home while doing something legal is bad. Just keep flying and fly wherever. Don't let someone ruin your time. He has just as many right as an American as you and I as you as long as no one is not breaking any laws. Do not let someone this nuts control your life and your hobby and ultimately your fun. Perhaps we should organize a mavic pilots forum BBQ at yoir place and it's BYOD (Bring your own Drone). If he doesn't like one flying around he would go insane woth 400 of them hahahaha.

There's no way he'd be keeping my drone gounded. No way. I would take that as an opportunity to educate him. Irate or not, I'd cite the law to him. If he kept going, I'd call the cops.
That being said, my neighborhood has a facebook group. I posted in my facebook group that I am a UAS pilot and that I rarely would fly over our neighborhood, but if I ever did I mean no harm or disrespect. I made sure they know where I live and said "if you ever hear it flying around, feel free to come on down. I'll show you the aircraft, how it operates, and what it sees". That went a LONG way to diffusing situations like that.
Two time I have flown above my neighborhood and posted the pics on the FB group. People loved them. I was even asked "hey, can you fly over my house and shoot some pictures for me?"

Check out the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. We have guns!

Check out the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. We have guns!
Wait..?

This is a drone forum. No more on firearm’s

Reactions: Fishman Dan
can you see this guys house or yard from were you fly? If so have 911 on speed dial and if he comes out to do what he said. hit dial and yell atr the dispatcher therea man out here trying to shoot up the place help help you won't have a problem anymore.

Ok guys I have already deleted a post after mine and yet
its not going to stop till I close this. .
Here.
EFC0BF6D-1019-43F5-B248-39485483348E.gif

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member