DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So Strange! 48mp zoom - weird

briwiphoto

Reactions
Is this normally how the 48mp Renders come out? So strange, I've never seen a pixel pattern quite like it. Almost like it stitching a few photos together, which I bet it is. Has anyone explained this yet?

In the edit things come out a bit soft and 'halo'-ey if that makes any sense. Weird.

Here is some bonus footage from today as well. Going to shoot in D-Cinelike and mess around with some color correction in that flat profile.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 7.51.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 7.51.10 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 171
Is this normally how the 48mp Renders come out? So strange, I've never seen a pixel pattern quite like it. Almost like it stitching a few photos together, which I bet it is. Has anyone explained this yet?

In the edit things come out a bit soft and 'halo'-ey if that makes any sense. Weird.

Here is some bonus footage from today as well. Going to shoot in D-Cinelike and mess around with some color correction in that flat profile.

There’s some videos on YT explaining it - as you suspected it’s basically x4 12MP pictures stitched together.

Weird, if it didn't artifact like that, I'd keep shooting in that mode. Good to know! Avoiding the 48mp for now it seems.

FYI just in case I’ve misinterpreted it but he touches on it within the first few mins of the vid and says he’ll have a full vid on it in the next few days.

Also remember hearing about it on some other vids but don’t have them to hand.

The Air 2 only has 48MP resolution when shooting stills.
The highest video resolution is 4K Ultra HD: 3840×2160 24/25/30/48/50/60 fps
The 48MP resolution stills aren't made by stitching 4 images together (which is what the M2 Zoom does).
They are achieved by using a quad-bayer sensor: Quad Bayer sensors: what they are and what they are not
They are more of an enhanced 12MP image.

The Air 2 only has 48MP resolution when shooting stills.
The highest video resolution is 4K Ultra HD: 3840×2160 24/25/30/48/50/60 fps
The 48MP resolution stills aren't made by stitching 4 images together (which is what the M2 Zoom does).
They are achieved by using a quad-bayer sensor: Quad Bayer sensors: what they are and what they are not
They are more of an enhanced 12MP image.

Had a feeling I had misinterpreted it [emoji28] thanks for clearing that up.

Video looks jittery/choppy/stuttering sometimes not sure how to explain that. Did you shoot at 24fps?

Video looks jittery/choppy/stuttering sometimes not sure how to explain that. Did you shoot at 24fps?
I did I did. I'm wondering if recording in 30fps and dropping frames might look better. I have always pretty much been a 23.98 for a lot of projects. Shooting video from a platform that moves this quickly is new!

I did I did. I'm wondering if recording in 30fps and dropping frames might look better. I have always pretty much been a 23.98 for a lot of projects. Shooting video from a platform that moves this quickly is new!
i noticed with my air that recording at 24 fps makes it choppier.
30fps would help but try 4k60fps as well that should be more smoother.

i noticed with my air that recording at 24 fps makes it choppier.
30fps would help but try 4k60fps as well that should be more smoother.
I've been messing around with the HDR mode so hence why limited to 30fps. Gonna give the 4k 60fps with the Cinelike color profile a try. Time to design some LUTS!

Use your ND filters if you want smooth video. The bright light ramps the auto shutter up causing the stutter. The video looks great though. In the fpv community we either dont fly at noon or use ND filters. Freestyle looks like garbage without them.

I've noticed similar oddities when applying to much noise reduction to a still photo. Maybe the same is going on here.

Use your ND filters if you want smooth video. The bright light ramps the auto shutter up causing the stutter. The video looks great though. In the fpv community we either dont fly at noon or use ND filters. Freestyle looks like garbage without them.
Hows the color cast with the NDs?

Thanks for the vid. Haven't thought about NDs and the 180 shutter rule in a while, stacking filters in matte boxes was always fun. I wonder how hard it is to make a custom frame for the filter holder... seeing some black pro mist for streaky light shots sounds awesome.

Shooting at 24 fps requires sloooowwww pans otherwise you get that jittery look. Faster frame rates will reduce that effect but at the cost of tha "cinematic" look.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna