DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why you shouldn't buy a Mavic 2 or any drone that relies on your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank you. and I am not being facetious at all. I am truly thankful you helped me decide to return this drone.
Good decision.
Perhaps woodwork or knitting would be more your style.
Reading instructions and flying a drone definitely isn't.
Everyone was saying I did not know what I was talking about when it came to why drones should not rely on a phone.
And you've continued to prove them correct.
Your post just shows why people that have zero understanding of a topic shouldn't assume they can speak with authority on the topic.
The videos in Best Buy make it look like these things are easy and fun. There is nothing easy or fun about flying a mavic 2, or at least getting it ready to fly. People think that you just connect it to your phone and you go.
You have proven with your own words this is not true. As I have gotten older, I have found that hobbies that frustrate you are not fun.
The videos convey the correct impression.
These things are easy and fun to fly and plenty of people that aren't particularly smart manage quite easily.

I agree. The only reason I joined was initially due to the problem I experienced. I have had 100's of flights which have all been exceptional (the DJI hardware and software is really very very good) and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has not used DJI products.

Reactions: Flynz and Beejoo
1. The very point of USB C is that it is bidirectional and not subject to stress like micro USB. Have you stopped using your phone's charger?

2. I have used the DJI Go 4 (and the earlier DJI GO for the OSMO+) on Android 5.5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. DJI has updated the app constantly.

Although I disagree with the original writer of this thread, I do agree with him that the USB connector is not ideal. I use a USB C, and had to return my phone for repair (thankfully under warranty!) when my Mavic Pro controller damaged the socket. I'm now super- careful, and very nervous each time I connect!

The ad videos are right. At a simple level they are easy and fun to fly. But then I have an iPhone and it was seamless. The lightening connector is good. (Wouldn’t know how to turn a Sammy on!)

However these are complex aircraft with so much more to offer for those prepared to invest time and learn.

I joined this forum to be stay ahead of the game and learn from others. It’s good!

I think some common sense is lacking with the OP.

If, as was claimed, serious research had been done before purchase, then it would have been crystal clear that a smart-phone or a notepad was essential to be able to fly the drone.

Yes, some have had problems with DJI drones. Hardly surprising when one considers the thousands of DJI drones made, supplied and are flying. Any piece of equipment of such complexity as the Mavic will, once in a while, have some faults inherent or develop some after some use. Nevertheless, most people who follow the recommended procedures eventually get the situation resolved. Again, there will, inevitably, be exceptions: this is the real world!

IMHO, DJI's marketing is pretty accurate and truthful. I've been flying a Mavic Pro for about two years and, in that time, experienced a number of problems. Always turned out to be "Pilot Error" :)

When all else fails, RTFM.

Reactions: SXViper03
I think some common sense is lacking with the OP.

If, as was claimed, serious research had been done before purchase, then it would have been crystal clear that a smart-phone or a notepad was essential to be able to fly the drone.

Yes, some have had problems with DJI drones. Hardly surprising when one considers the thousands of DJI drones made, supplied and are flying. Any piece of equipment of such complexity as the Mavic will, once in a while, have some faults inherent or develop some after some use. Nevertheless, most people who follow the recommended procedures eventually get the situation resolved. Again, there will, inevitably, be exceptions: this is the real world!

IMHO, DJI's marketing is pretty accurate and truthful. I've been flying a Mavic Pro for about two years and, in that time, experienced a number of problems. Always turned out to be "Pilot Error" :)

When all else fails, RTFM.

Serious research? I looked at all the videos and read which one was better, Pro or Zoom. I seen how easy they were to fly, I seen people run them into trees, I seen them throw balloons and water at them to prove durability. I seen how they self tracked and how they reliable they were. My searches were not based on keywords that were bad. It was not until after I got one and had problems you start reading all the issues. I did not know you had to worry about birds, we have lots of hawks, bald eagles, falcons, and big crows here. I did not do search bird attacks drones. It was not until I used words like problems errors did I start finding out the issues. People said I didn't read the manual. I did, but the problem I was having was in set up. I did not have pilot error because it never got off the ground. It was a defect I believe. If support cannot figure it out, and they are supposed to be experts how does someone new to the sport? People kept telling me I was in the wrong location or I was wearing some huge magnet. I reinitialized my phone, I did everything I was told. Read the articles suggested. No one figured it out. A couple people said it was a defective bird. People like you continue to suggest I did not read the manual.

Everyone said, you gave up to soon, you did not come to the site sooner. I did come, I kept the drone longer and what did it get me? A bunch of people like you ridiculing me cause I did not read the manual. Or that I am not able to figure out a drone. That is stupid. I use to build computers as a hobby, back in the 386 days when you had to deal with IRQ, and memory addressing. I have written my own code for the computer. And because the drone does not act like it is suppose to I call support and you say I lack common sense?

My experience with support lead me to believe that it was a problem with the phone. Which made me think, stupid idea to have to depend on another device. I should be able to fly it in some downgraded mode without the phone or device attached. Even that is still not clear. Some say you have to have the phone or device, some say not.

Why can I not hook it to a computer USB and make sure everything is up to date as far as firmware. That's with it seems to require the phone to do.

Anyway, just as you guy are glad to see me not flying. I am glad I don't have to read this garbage from a bunch of you idiots. You may know the product, but no social skills, no ability to teach, no ability to help, just tell people who come to this forum RTFM, your are not suited for a drone. If it is as easy as the videos suggest why do the suggested 5 page posts exist. I think most of the people here say they are helpful, but they are not, they are just like you.

Maybe you're just too smart to operate a drone, better now? Good, buh bye.

Well that wraps up this thread, I think. The OP has read all the advice and comments and concluded that everyone else is wrong, DJI is wrong, and that any criticism of him is completely unjustified. Can't argue with that. Another satisfied customer.

That's not how troubleshooting works.

Use a device other than your phone to isolate that as your problem. taking it to a field will not isolate if you're device is the issue.

Really, are you an expert at troubleshooting? Mike M3 below told me to start the drone up without the phone. He said if I get the same error, it is not the phone. Several people said it is not the phone. You are telling me to follow the same line of reasoning as support. None of you were helpful. Except to prove the people here are immature and unhelpful. There were a few who actually tried and I am greatful for their assistance. The guys like you, all deserve each other, disrespectful, superior attitude. I might have stuck with it longer if it wasn't for the people here. No matter. I know I will be happier if I don't have to deal with people like this on a forum.

Well that wraps up this thread, I think. The OP has read all the advice and comments and concluded that everyone else is wrong, DJI is wrong, and that any criticism of him is completely unjustified. Can't argue with that. Another satisfied customer.

Again, idiots. The people here decided it was a defective unit. Who are you and I to argue.

We are not going to come to any agreement if you intend to argue with non sequiturs such as "The problem is tiny if it has not happened to you" and total speculation such as "I wonder how many users gave up in frustration and returned the drone. I am sure there are many who never found their way to this forum to complain."

The mobile device is not a simple display in these systems - it is doing computationally intensive tasks. If you prefer the simpler solutions from other manufacturers then that's your choice. Your posts increasingly imply a level of technological illiteracy on par with the OP's.

You guys not only eat your young, you eat each other. Like I would want to be a part of a forum like this. I may repurchase a new drone. But I will not be coming back here for anything.

I have taken the drone to several huge fields about 15 different locations. I still get the same "mag interfer check app"

Frankly, you have spent waaaaay too much time on what is clearly a faulty drone. This issue has nothing to do with your phone/device. Why have you not exchanged it as defective? WHICH IT IS. Disregard what any DJI tech has told you regarding your device. Mag Interference is detected by the drone, not the device. There's a good chance that you could simply degause your compass to correct the problem, but having these problems right out of the box - I'd be swapping it out for a replacement. Stop torturing yourself :)

Reactions: Slim.slamma
You guys not only eat your young, you eat each other. Like I would want to be a part of a forum like this. I may repurchase a new drone. But I will not be coming back here for anything.
Sheesh man you are all over the place. Personally I don't want someone as angry and unhappy as you flying. As was already recommended, take up knitting.

Frankly, you have spent waaaaay too much time on what is clearly a faulty drone. This issue has nothing to do with your phone/device. Why have you not exchanged it as defective? WHICH IT IS. Disregard what any DJI tech has told you regarding your device. Mag Interference is detected by the drone, not the device. There's a good chance that you could simply degause your compass to correct the problem, but having these problems right out of the box - I'd be swapping it out for a replacement. Stop torturing yourself :)

I don't know which is more torture, trying to figure out what was wrong or the battle damage receive from posting on this forum. There are some nice people here I guess. Just like everything, you take the good with the bad. Or you eject.. Where is that ejector seat button.

Sheesh man you are all over the place. Personally I don't want someone as angry and unhappy as you flying. As was already recommended, take up knitting.

You are one of the reasons I won't be back. You guys don't need me anyways, and I do not need you.

Don't be a snowflake :)... This forum is filled with unhelpful Richards who would rather bash, than help. It's why I'm rarely here any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan