DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So tempted to replace the Mavic Pro w/ Mavic Air... help?

kaitlyn

Reactions
The first drone I got was the Phantom 4, which I did like and it opened the world of aerial photography to me.

I sold it and got the Mavic Pro purely for size/transportation considerations knowing the image quality was a bit of a step down (unfortunately).

I am a photographer by trade, and it was often difficult to travel/head out somewhere with my gear - do I bring both sets of tools (how?) or WHICH would I bring. The mavic helped change that.

The Air seems to take it even further where it takes up even less space and is (noticeably?) lighter, while also improving on both image and video quality (I think?).

I'd basically be guaranteed to lose money in this upgrade... but is it "worth it"? I do wonder about the Mavic Pro 2, but I haven't really heard a thing about that and it seems like the Phantom 5 is out next anyway...

As a photographer I'd absolutely love the best IQ possible and the Phantom 5 with the rumored interchangeable lenses/bigger sensor is what I'd love - but NOT at the compromise of that weight+size

The Mavic Pro 2 is rumoured to have a 1" sensor and will, following advances in processing power e.g. Mavic Air, undoubtedly be able to process 4K at 100Mb/s so if you're wanting Phantom image quality with Mavic portability, the Mavic Pro 2 might be the way to go. If you didn't already have a drone, I'd be saying buy a Mavic Pro and upgrade later but as you already have one, I'd wait until MP2 comes out.

Reactions: ksmusa
Not worth the money if you already have the Pro. The size is really not that different. Image quality is not that different.

You can speculate until the cow come home as to what is next and when. Will there be something new? Yes. Does anyone know when? No. Does anyone know what? No.

Again, no one knows what will be next.

Not worth the money if you already have the Pro. The size is really not that different. Image quality is not that different.

You can speculate until the cow come home as to what is next and when. Will there be something new? Yes. Does anyone know when? No. Does anyone know what? No.

Again, no one knows what will be next.

Agreed.

Enjoy what you have, still the most sophisticated engineered foldable drone on the market, with no painful firmware update path ahead (anymore). This is the best time for the Mavic Pro. It shines like never before. I love it and will continue to enjoy it for a long time.

Enjoy what you have, still the most sophisticated engineered foldable drone on the market, with no painful firmware update path ahead (anymore). This is the best time for the Mavic Pro. It shines like never before. I love it and will continue to enjoy it for a long time.
I haven't really been following, what's this "painful firmware update path" and why isn't it a problem anymore? I haven't updated my mavic in a while, but pretty sure it's not on the latest firmware...

I have a friend with an Air and we did a shoot out with my MPP. We both agreed there were no meaningful differences in quality, either video or stills. Daylight or low light. I thought there was a s l i g h t improvement with the MPP on stills, but it was negligible. My friends with Airs have MP envy, and some of my MP friends have Air envy. At the end of the day, neither one is a quantum leap above the other. My best advice is settle down and enjoy what you have, and wait for some big advancements before making your move. And for stills, shoot in RAW. The difference between RAW and jpg (if you post process) is far more than than differences between the two Mavics.

Reactions: David73 and ksmusa
The first drone I got was the Phantom 4, which I did like and it opened the world of aerial photography to me.

I sold it and got the Mavic Pro purely for size/transportation considerations knowing the image quality was a bit of a step down (unfortunately).

I am a photographer by trade, and it was often difficult to travel/head out somewhere with my gear - do I bring both sets of tools (how?) or WHICH would I bring. The mavic helped change that.

The Air seems to take it even further where it takes up even less space and is (noticeably?) lighter, while also improving on both image and video quality (I think?).

I'd basically be guaranteed to lose money in this upgrade... but is it "worth it"? I do wonder about the Mavic Pro 2, but I haven't really heard a thing about that and it seems like the Phantom 5 is out next anyway...

As a photographer I'd absolutely love the best IQ possible and the Phantom 5 with the rumored interchangeable lenses/bigger sensor is what I'd love - but NOT at the compromise of that weight+size

Gday, being a photographer I recon you will be best to wait (not too long now) to see what sort of size & camera specs the MP2 has??? And if it is not what you want then yes buy the Air for the better photography experience you are wanting. As far as loosing $ when you sell it, think of the value of all the great atrial photos you have taken with the Mavic so far and how you have made another person very happy when they buy it from you, so they to can sour the sky’s and learn the great JOY this fantastic drone with all of its capabilities can bring. However if you are a “want it now” kind of person the buy the Air and be happy. Personally I would stick with the Mavic Pro but each to their own. Good luck with what ever you choose and I wish you well with your photography. I, along with others here would love to see some of your photos, maybe (if you haven’t already) post a few of your masterpieces on the photos section of MavicPilots. Cheers mate from Spike AU

I have a Pro. If you look at the downsides of the Air, it has a shorter range and the flight times are shorter. But in over a year of flying, I’ve never flown anything like as far away as the Air is capable, and I’ve never flown with my battery below 40%. So the Air would be more than capable of dealing with any flying I’m ever likely to do. For that reason, if I hadn’t already bought a Pro, then I’d certainly have bought the Air.

But I’d never think of trading my Pro in for an Air. I can certainly afford to take the financial hit, but I’m more than happy with the drone I already have. I’d tuck your money under the mattress and save up for an Air 2 or a Pro 3, because when that time comes, it’s going to be a much larger step-change and one you’ll notice.

I’m on vacation now I’m Philippines using both Mavic Pro & Air. The Pro is taking considerably better photos than the Air. Thinking on selling the Air when I get back to the states.

I'd stick with the Mavic Pro. I've had mine for 13 months and (knock on wood) never had a problem with it. Have my 107 certification and do real estate and other fun things.

Who said there was gonna be an MP2

Hear! Hear! BRAVO !!!!!

Spoken as only a Wiseman could...heed the word and enjoy your MP...be safe-fly safe

My first is Standard 3. I sold it away after flying her for around 10 time for half what I paid.
I used the money to buy a mavic pro. [by adding in more money].

Now I regretted, standard 3 is 1.5 kilo while mavic is half the weight. Yes it is smaller and more portable. More portable, in what way, only thing it is smaller and easier to carry.
I want the S3 back or the 4 phantom. WHY??? because it is heavier and high up it will be better than blown away.

I am looking for somebody to sell me one.

For one, you'd definitely get less flight time and lesser distance with the Air.

The range and the battery life make a "upgrade" to the air a non starter for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura