DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So what about Ipad type devices?

IPad Mini 4, 128 GB. Bought through secondhand shop with warranty. Works with no issues although would like to upgrade at some stage. Use the holder on the controller and just glued some thick rubber to back halfway up that the top of holder clamps on, can still use the original short cable.
Also made my own sun screen from some black card.

Reactions: MA2 317
I bought a I pad mini 2 refurbished 16 GB for $150 + tax on ebay
it works very well with my DJI Mavic mini #1 & Air 2
the only problem 16 GB is not enough once your start I suggest more GB 32 or 64 if you do it this way you will have to buy a adapter to mount on the transmitter.
I was wondering if I needed to go with a ipad mini 4 at least. Are you saying an ipad mini 2 works fine with DJI Fly and the Mavic Air 2. Does it work with latest version of DJI fly? (1.2.?)
Thanks.

i use the apple i pad mini 5 and it works great.
iPad Mini 2 from 2017-2019, since then iPad Mini 4. iPad Mini 2 can be had for cheap, but you don't get great performance. iPad Mini 4 has been rock solid. Tried a couple android tablets. Quad core tabs that just didn't compare to the iPads. PS: I'm not an Apple fanboy at all, just want to enjoy flying (like all of us!)... and the iPad works well.

here you go it attaches to the part that holds your phone. make me an offer i can't refuse.

Attachments

• 20201213_200424.jpg
    20201213_200424.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20201213_200431.jpg
    20201213_200431.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20201213_200440.jpg
    20201213_200440.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Just started flying a MA2 and wanted more screen than my iPhone 11 Pro Max (albeit the screen brightness was pretty good). So opted to try a iPad adaption With my existing iPad Pro (2018, 11’). Added a Lifthor Baldur iPad adapter to the MA2 RC Controller. The unit is built like a rock and when adjusted properly the iPad is not moving!! I flew with the iPad, really liked the large screen but, as others have posted, screen brightness was less than the iPhone and reflections. So I added a Surf to Summit iPad shade. The shade fits the iPad Pro perfectly, as to how well it works... waiting for a sunny day. Also turned to our GA Brethren and add a Armor Glass Antiglare screen to the iPad (waiting its arrival) to the system. Will post back after I have the chance to fly with it on a sunny day.

Attachments

• A6F97ABE-6CA4-4353-AC30-DD3C6E32ABBA.jpeg
    A6F97ABE-6CA4-4353-AC30-DD3C6E32ABBA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • BBD8F9CE-6F36-4CA9-8BEA-5387A59EF9CE.jpeg
    BBD8F9CE-6F36-4CA9-8BEA-5387A59EF9CE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 94AA3D4F-B1B0-4273-8FAB-43BBEC9D72A1.jpeg
    94AA3D4F-B1B0-4273-8FAB-43BBEC9D72A1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 9D272709-EC45-4BEC-B7DA-15268F4B9B8B.jpeg
    9D272709-EC45-4BEC-B7DA-15268F4B9B8B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
ALSO.... If I get an ipad mini what cable do I need and where do I get one?

ALSO.... If I get an ipad mini what cable do I need and where do I get one?

The stock cable should work. Mine does.

You'll need an adapter, as mentioned in post # 35 for the mini to fit in the controller but the stock cable will work.

Reactions: A.O.
what cable do I need and where do I get one?
The cable that comes with the MA2 is long enough to connect to an iPad Mini.

1608028574965.png

Thanks on the cable guys, I figured it would just be to short..

The cable that comes with the MA2 is long enough to connect to an iPad Mini.

View attachment 119382
Yes. I have no problem with the stock cable. My IPad has thick rubber glued halfway up back and fits in stock holder as well so no need for an extra holder.

I was running my iPad mini (last year's model) with my MA2's, but I really haven't been happy with the balance no matter which tablet holder I use. That, and I don't feel the antenna/device holder combo is well-enough designed to really support the weight long term. Went back to a big iPhone for that, and 'donated' the Mini to my P4P2 full-time.

I have an MA2, and an old iphone 7, thinking about another device to fly it with, wish I had the cash for a smart controller but I don't☹️ . So what do you like and why.. and how do you have it mounted to your controller, come on all you droniacs, now is your chance to show off. Oh and reasonably priced please... under $3-400??
Thanks.
First, be sure you get one with adequate video speed. Not sure what specification to look for, but I used a cheap "BLU" phone for a short time, and it just could not keep up with the video from the drone. This essentially made it unflyable, except by using the little display on the Mavic Pro controller. Modern iPads are a safe bet here, but probably not the only one.

Second, be aware that the only ipads that have GPS are the ones that have cellular data capability. You can still fly, but the non-cellular, non-gps ipads then will not be able to use the "Find my Drone" feature that plots your location on a map together with the last known location of the drone.

I have an MA2, and an old iphone 7, thinking about another device to fly it with, wish I had the cash for a smart controller but I don't☹️ . So what do you like and why.. and how do you have it mounted to your controller, come on all you droniacs, now is your chance to show off. Oh and reasonably priced please... under $3-400??
Thanks.
I use and swear by an iPad Mini 5. Small enough size, big enough screen, bright enough (except of course direct sunlight). Be sure and get it with cellular service so you get the GPS map screen anywhere. They have nice mounts from the controller to the iPad and a strap if you're going to use it for a long time

I was running my iPad mini (last year's model) with my MA2's, but I really haven't been happy with the balance no matter which tablet holder I use. That, and I don't feel the antenna/device holder combo is well-enough designed to really support the weight long term. Went back to a big iPhone for that, and 'donated' the Mini to my P4P2 full-time.
I never have an issue with the balance but the weight seems negligible. The iPhone 11 Max Pro that I have is 262g and the iPad Mini 5 with cellular is 308g. That is only about a 1/10 of a pound difference.

I love using the Mini because I am older and like the bigger screen :)

Reactions: BruceBotti
tried a few cheap tablets from Amazon but had to keep sending them back for refund. So went with the Ipad Mini 5 and no problems at all with it :)

You can pick up a adaptor off Amazon to fit the Ipad Mini to your controller :)
I also use the iPad mini 5 with a tablet mount. I love it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem