DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some GPS Observations

That's true and sad at the same time. It seems there are some people, probably with multiple accounts, determined to wreak havoc. As a result, finding useful information there has become very difficult.
Yes. Lots of behavior there that is off topic and seemingly personal. The level of discourse on drones makes it so I do not even want to log in there. I still check it just to make sure I not missing some product news.

Once the M3 GPS issue is resolved (or if we move on to the next model) I do not think I will be checking there as frequently.

I don't see that, but then again, maybe I don't see that because it was censored? : )
Precisely! It's their forum. They get to control the content that is acceptable to them. Too much criticism won't be tolerated.

Precisely! It's their forum. They get to control the content that is acceptable to them. Too much criticism won't be tolerated.
Although this is an off-topic discussion here, to be fair, they did let that thread with the "explanation" of the gps issues run for quite a few pages. It was filled with trolling before they deleted it, which they rightfully did, in my opinion. Judging from what I have read there, the moderation is not strict, quite the opposite.

Although this is an off-topic discussion here, to be fair, they did let that thread with the "explanation" of the gps issues run for quite a few pages. It was filled with trolling before they deleted it, which they rightfully did, in my opinion. Judging from what I have read there, the moderation is not strict, quite the opposite.
It varies over time, depending upon their tolerance for the discussion. Not judging them for the way they handle it, but it is still their forum. Ours is also properly moderated, but allows more freedom to objectively criticize and praise, while sharing solutions and workarounds.

I’ve just purchased the M3, updated everything last night, then tried in my back garden on the outskirts of town.

Powered the M3 up and I waited around 4-5min (second attempt took 11min+ I eventually switched it off as it was taking too long) to acquire enough satellites for the icon to turn white, and the GPS Weak text disappear on my RC Pro. I now understand that this could be a big problem when your setting up to catch a train passing by or any shot you need to be in the air quickly for, or more important RTH being recorded.

What a difference compared to my Mavic 2 Pro, that acquired satellites in seconds!

I then called DJI and the guy said 5min was normal, I also asked if DJI are aware of this issue and he said I was the first to mention this, and he would send my complaint to the correct department…. I smell something lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbviper
If no one has watched, please do as it’s extremely informative.

He also categorically stated there is nothing wrong with the Chip set, jump to 39min for his thoughts on what is actually going on with the slow GPS lock

The GPS lock scenario is totally unacceptable at a cost of over £2k, I‘ll be returning mine back to Amazon until it’s fixed.

Last edited:
If no one has watched, please do as it’s extremely informative.

He also categorically stated there is nothing wrong with the Chip set, jump to 39min for his thoughts on what is actually going on with the slow GPS lock

The GPS lock scenario is totally unacceptable at a cost of over £2k, I‘ll be returning mine back to Amazon until it’s fixed.

Yeah, for more info, that video is also discussed in this thread: Mad Tech's video

What’s the manufacturing date of the M3? Mine is November 16, 2021 and I don’t have GNSS acquisition problems.

Reactions: leebroath
Yeah, for more info, that video is also discussed in this thread: Mad Tech's video

What’s the manufacturing date of the M3? Mine is November 16, 2021 and I don’t have GNSS acquisition problems.
Just checked AirData, and mine is October 15, 2021, and I now also have no GNSS acquisition problems, after the last FW update. Using the RC-Pro, hot-spotted to my iPhone for internet connection in the field, which, according to DJI, is ostensibly is the best setup for fastest HP setting. Maybe the early "birds" got the good "worm!" 🤣

Last edited:
I just recieved a replacement from Amazon, sending the 11min+ GPS lock unit back

I now have an even earlier one than November 2021, it’s been manufactured October 2021.

Does October sound better

I also asked if DJI are aware of this issue and he said I was the first to mention this, and he would send my complaint to the correct department
He lied to you, something dji has a habit of doing. There have been 1000s of complaints about this. It appears the correct department he sent your complaint to is the trash can.

Please let us know if it is has a normal HP acquisition time. It's a good data point for date of manufacture being related to whether the GNSS issues were solved by the most recent update. Earlier date of manufacture appears to be better!

Reactions: leebroath
He lied to you, something dji has a habit of doing. There have been 1000s of complaints about this. It appears the correct department he sent your complaint to is the trash can.
Lying requires intent. Sadly, the vast majority of the DJI reps are just ignorant and poorly informed at best. They don't seem to have a way to properly log reported problems so that others can access the list, to know what is new and what is known. Calling DJI is usually a waste of time. Could also have just been a new hire who started that day. Who knows! Everything they say is suspect, even without lying.

Please let us know if it is has a normal HP acquisition time. It's a good data point for date of manufacture being related to whether the GNSS issues were solved by the most recent update. Earlier date of manufacture appears to be better!
Ok have just updated the firmware to .600 on my new 2021 October version (previous was Nov 2021), during that time in my bedroom there was no GPS for it to lock on.

Once all updated, I went out to the back garden and powered it on. It took roughly 1min 10sec to acquire enough Satellites to stamp the Home Point. It then hung at 13 Sats for about 3 min longer then jumped to 14. It took the whole 5min to reach 15 Sats. Not sure how many Sats I should be seeing locked on normally after 5min?

I powered it off, then back on again after 1 min and it immediately fixed at 14 and the home point was recorded.

I will again try this tomorrow morning or later on a cold start while out.

Last edited:
Reactions: oztx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming