DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some People May be Exempt from Paying the $175 Fee for the Part 107 License Test…

Without going into the specifics of your disability from the post office, I see it this way… Every dollar you made while working during your lifetime and especially while working for the USPO, you paid taxes on and your taxes paid for others like those before you. Now it's your turn and I see no reason why you cannot qualify for a Grant (a non-repayable loan, outright gift, etc…) for you to establish a business for yourself (Drone Photography, surveying, etc…) and use the money to pay for the License Fee.

Here are some sources for you to check, perhaps even your own USPO organizations, as the American Postal Workers Union (APWU) might have programs to help the disabled to start a business.

When a close friend of mine was looking for ways to pay for their college (decades ago…), they found out that because her father was a Toll Booth Attendant, there was a scholarship fund just for the children of Toll Booth Attendant … and it paid better than the Pell Grant she qualified for…

Also, I am sure that there are various local organizations in the Pascagoula area that try to take care of their own: local church groups, the Lions Club, the Masons, Foresters, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Knights of Columbus, the Elks, the Moose, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Kiwanis Club, just to name a few…

Give it a try, the worse that will happen is they say, NO…

Hmm Might have to look into that. I was a shop Steward with APWU while I was working.
I am a former member of Moose lodge. But have not been member for a about 10 years or More.
But I am a Member of my local Elks lodge, Never even thought about that. LOL I even Voluteer at the Lodge.
Thanks for the Info and putting thoughts into my head...LOL

Who says they don't…

I am not a legislator nor a lawyer, I do not make the law nor do I interpret the law, but I can Google all day long and surf the internet and since phones no longer charge "long distance phone charges" anymore, I can search for information and call to verify its authenticity for free…

So, not only can you google all day long (Free at your local library…) you can call to verify what you find on the internet. How do you think I found out about FREE Testing for the Part 107 License Exam and there are literally hundreds of other FREE exams for the taking…

Now, I am not a representative of the Veterans Administration, so I do not know your level of service connected disability. These examples are not intended to insult or denigrate your disability, but I am a member of the DAV and I've seen a many examples of disabilities, both severe and not severe.

Here are two extremes: While in the service, you contracted athlete's foot and it is recurring and the VA determines your condition is Service Connected and they will provide you with foot powder for the rest of your life, but you are rated with a zero percent (0%) disability.

A more extreme example is the loss of a leg due to combat and you are eligible for care for the rest of your life and in addition, your disability is rated at 50% and you receive a disability pension.

Now, with those two extremes on the table, there have been numerous changes to who is eligible for base/post benefits, specifically,

The DoD recently announced the rules for how newly eligible veterans and caregivers (spouses, significant others, etc…) will be able to gain base access to take advantage of the Commissary, Exchange, and MWR facilities.

Veterans with a service-connected disability will need a Veterans Health Identification Card, or VHIC, to able to gain access to the bases and use these facilities.

The VHIC must state the veteran’s eligibility. For example, the card must have a designation for Purple Heart, Former POW, or Service Connected rating. This is indicated on the card itself.

VA Health Benefits…

Next, if you are eligible for these privileges, read the following link…

Disabled Veterans and Caregivers to Gain Access to Exchanges, Commissaries, and Recreation Facilities…

So, this ID would give you access to the base and you should be eligible to take the test on a military base or post.

The requirements to take the test does not stipulate a Military ID Card… See this link…

FAA Airman Knowledge Testing Matrix -- May 18, 2021…

BTW, the Part 107 License Exam (Test Code -UAG -- Unmanned Aircraft General - Small) is listed on Page 15, after hundreds of other tests you can take…

Too Bad, you listed your location as the "US", if I knew where you lived, even a state, I would have included phone numbers to ease your search, but since you did not, it's now all on you to see if you are eligible to get the VA ID card, and if the closest military installation to your location is a test facility and whether they offer the test.

Good Luck, It all on you now…
I’d like to know more. im Located about 35 miles from Hill AFB in Utah.

I’d like to know more. im Located about 35 miles from Hill AFB in Utah.

If you want to know more, read or re-read ALL the entries in the following link. And don't just read mine, read all the entries made by the other members as I often responded to a questions and my answer may not make sense out of context…

First off, you must be an eligible individual to take advantage of this and the qualifications are all spelled out in the above link if you are eligible through military service.

Many others also qualify for Free Testing, but my experience is all through the military and I stated this in the link. If you think you qualify through the other agencies mentioned, then it is up to you to do the footwork through your HR Department. However, if qualify through the military, then I've done all the footwork and all you have to do is following my lead…

I took a lot of time to carefully insert every reference on how this is accomplished and I wrote out the instructions so all you have to do is follow the instructions. Nothing is out of order, there is nothing else you need to do but follow the instructions.

But in the spirit of "doing all the footwork" for you, I tried to schedule a Part 107 License Test at Hill AFB. I asked for anytime in the next 3-months and no test dates came up… You need to call the Hill AFB Education Office and find out why there are no FAA testing being given… And do not be adverse to asking to speak to the Base Education Officer, the Senior Enlisted Advisor -- Chief Master Sergeant Raymond Riley (777-1110 --ask to be forwarded), the Retiree Activities Office (801-777-5735)

The 75th Force Support Squadron Force Development’s Education and Training Center Web Page is

Hours of Operation are Monday thru Friday, 0700-1600 Hrs…

In case you go on base, they are located at 7285 4th Street, Bldg 180, Room 213

Or you can call them at: (801) 586-0486 -- (Primary Pone Number)

Other alternate numbers…
(801) 777-9154
(801) 777-9156
(801) 777-9155
(801) 586-6080
(801) 586-3229

As I so often write, "Inquiring Minds Want to Know…" Now you know it all, it's up to you to act on it…

If you want to know more, read or re-read ALL the entries in the following link. And don't just read mine, read all the entries made by the other members as I often responded to a questions and my answer may not make sense out of context…

First off, you must be an eligible individual to take advantage of this and the qualifications are all spelled out in the above link if you are eligible through military service.

Many others also qualify for Free Testing, but my experience is all through the military and I stated this in the link. If you think you qualify through the other agencies mentioned, then it is up to you to do the footwork through your HR Department. However, if qualify through the military, then I've done all the footwork and all you have to do is following my lead…

I took a lot of time to carefully insert every reference on how this is accomplished and I wrote out the instructions so all you have to do is follow the instructions. Nothing is out of order, there is nothing else you need to do but follow the instructions.

But in the spirit of "doing all the footwork" for you, I tried to schedule a Part 107 License Test at Hill AFB. I asked for anytime in the next 3-months and no test dates came up… You need to call the Hill AFB Education Office and find out why there are no FAA testing being given… And do not be adverse to asking to speak to the Base Education Officer, the Senior Enlisted Advisor -- Chief Master Sergeant Raymond Riley (777-1110 --ask to be forwarded), the Retiree Activities Office (801-777-5735)

The 75th Force Support Squadron Force Development’s Education and Training Center Web Page is

Other alternate numbers…
(801) 777-9154
(801) 777-9156
(801) 777-9155
(801) 586-6080
(801) 586-3229

As I so often write, "Inquiring Minds Want to Know…" Now you know it all, it's up to you to act on it…
I just remembered that I did do another posting of this topic that was more organized after all was said and done... Here it is.

Other alternate numbers…
(801) 777-9154
(801) 777-9156
(801) 777-9155
(801) 586-6080
(801) 586-3229

Thank you for all your effort! I have read through the thread completely, and reviewed the memorandum establishing the testing program. I do not qualify as I am not deemed a retiree. I was honorably discharged by reason of medical disability, and have a service-connected disability rating from the VA. From my research, the best alternative I’ve found is to request reimbursement from the VA. The AKT-UAG is not on the VA’s published matrix, but they say that this does not preclude getting a reimbursement.

I really do appreciate your trying to help find a way for me to test for free.

On a side note, my son is a military drone operator for the Army and wants to get a Part 107 cert. He’s stationed at JBLM in Washington. I will be sending him all this information so he can see about testing at the education center on his base.

As yet another aside, I think I will reach out to my senator and representative and put it to them that this program should perhaps extend to veterans who have a service-connected disability.

*edited to add “not” in last sentence of first para.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudThunder
I would like to make an observational comment regarding @LoudThunder
You are wealth of knowledge through a concerted effort and extensive research. The beauty of this is your willingness to share your gained knowledge with your comrades. We all appreciate you and your helpful contributions on this forum.
Sincerely B52 -D
Blue Skys & Happy Contrails ➰

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+