DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some pixel dances in 4K footage - why!?

BarrabasOnAir

Reactions
Hi guys,

I had my very first flight today and got some disappointing artefacts in my first 4K footage.

Most of the time, the image quality is fine. But sometimes, there were lots of pixels 'dancing around', or it looked like they stopped moving for a very short moment and blurred around the next couple of frames. It looks as if some parts of the image were temporarily recorded in a lower resolution, for a couple of moments. Sometimes this affects only parts of the image in the video, but one or two times even the whole screen.

What might cause this?

Last edited:
I'm interested in this too as due to the nasty noise reduction artifacts in foliage it seems it's necessary to use some in camera sharpening, which tends to lead to crawling/jiggling in areas of fine detail. If anyone has any tips on post production filters in premiere that can deal with it I'd love to know

The dancing pixels come from 'key frames'. There are noise reduction programs that require a bit of work to use. Essentially, you have to identify the frequency (how often) of the key frames and set the noise reduction to act on those pixels, along with cleaning up the surrounding frames. I have found that shooting in 4K and rendering in 1080p reduces this issue to a point where the footage is usable. Hope that helps.

Reactions: D700
I would like to show you the video. Which tools under Windows 10 can I use to cut-out a sequence from my 4K footage?

I tried Windows Movie Maker, but it scaled down the resolution of the video. I want to be able to upload the 4K video to YouTube.

I would like to show you the video. Which tools under Windows 10 can I use to cut-out a sequence from my 4K footage?

I tried Windows Movie Maker, but it scaled down the resolution of the video. I want to be able to upload the 4K video to YouTube.
Don't try to cut a clip from the original footage. It won't work for this. Any program that cuts a section of video out, has to re-render that footage, and in the rendering process, the footage may change. In essence, we'd no longer looking at the original footage. Go out and shoot a 10 second clip, and upload it directly.

Reactions: BarrabasOnAir
I cannot manage to export snapshots from my 4k video in 4k, only 1080p with Davinci Resolve. Well, I hope one can see the effect nevertheless in the following two outcut scenes:

In the first video it is visible for the sandy grounds:

In the second video it is visible at time point 0.14 onwards:

In both cases the resolution seems to degrade temporarily (and in some parts of the image only). Once again, the orginal movie is in 4k.

Don't try to cut a clip from the original footage. It won't work for this. Any program that cuts a section of video out, has to re-render that footage, and in the rendering process, the footage may change. In essence, we'd no longer looking at the original footage. Go out and shoot a 10 second clip, and upload it directly.
Not true with Mpeg Streamclip. You can clip out any portion of video, and it does it very fast. No rendering done whatsoever and original data fully retained.. That's why it's my favorite

DJI tells me to send the drone is. They didnt appear to have much experience with such issues. I am afraid that they wont be able to repair it.

Dear friends,

before sending in my Mavic, what I'd rather won't do, I would beg you to have a look into the original movie and give me your assessment of the problem nature:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!...3-txQbdKruFoESq

The problem is that the resolution of the picture sometimes drops. You can see this, for example, at the following time points in the video:

- 00:00:16 to 00:00:24
- 00:03:10 to 00:03:15

I'd be happy to get your feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

Dear colleagues,

before sending in my Mavic, what I'd rather won't do, I would beg you to have a look into the original movie and give me your assessment of the problem nature:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!...3-txQbdKruFoESq

The problem is that the resolution of the picture sometimes drops. You can see this, for example, at the following time points in the video:

- 00:00:16 to 00:00:24
- 00:03:10 to 00:03:15

I'd be happy to get your feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa