DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some rigorous rules coming to Canada.

what rules other than age restriction. Did I miss something? What are the actual rules?
You will be punished for treason, if found; [emoji47]

higher than 90 m above the ground

closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds, etc.

closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)

within controlled or restricted airspace

within nine km of a forest fire

where it could interfere with police or first responders

at night or in clouds

if you can’t keep it in sight at all times

if you are not within 500 m of your drone

if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.

Reactions: Maxonio
Well I'm definitely ok with a course/license being required. Regulate but don't eliminate. Hopefully things don't get so difficult it eliminates the hobby. Time will tell.

Reactions: Maxonio
You will definitely want to pre-check with Canada Customs and Immigration. It is likely that they will interrogate you and possibly confiscate your machine given the new rules. These are so heavy-handed that few Customs officials are going to let someone bring in something that can potentially cause such harm. That's the way it's being painted. the whole "report using 911" is just an indicator. This means the police will be on you before you can land. Just saying.
Canada Custons has nothing to do with it.
You can bring it in no problem. What you do with it once here is another problem.

Just curious but does Canada require boat insurance?
I ask because the first thing that was stated for the reason on liability is the need to get money for drones hitting cars and property.

The first thought that came to my mind is boats and here in the states it isn't required.

Add to that seems a kid on a bicycle would do more damage to a parked car.

Anyway just playin devils advocate

Just curious but does Canada require boat insurance?
I ask because the first thing that was stated for the reason on liability is the need to get money for drones hitting cars and property.

The first thought that came to my mind is boats and here in the states it isn't required.

Add to that seems a kid on a bicycle would do more damage to a parked car.

Anyway just playin devils advocate
Agreed, bicycle damage can be extensive. I've had more damage done to my vehicle by a shopping cart than I've seen done by a regular sized drone. Get a bigger drone, and that changes. I am a MAAC member, but insurance is conditional on a number of things. It's doubtful that any coverage would be granted if not on a MAAC sanctioned flying field or a MAAC sanctioned event.

Manufacturers won't stand for this kind of stuff though. Manufacturers still want to sell drones and these type of laws will severely curb consumer sales.

I think what you're going to see long-term has already been started by Yuneec. You're going to have severely limited range/altitude on consumer and pro-sumer drones, which can be unlocked by commercial or otherwise licensed operators with proven credentials. This will mostly stay the need for these type of overreaching laws and restrictions.

This offers the best of all worlds - manufacturers continue to sell drones to casual users, casual users are now mostly forced to fly them responsibly (but CAN actually fly them without crazy barriers), and those of us that are properly licensed and responsible get to continue operations without unnecessary restriction and hassle.

OR

Manufacturers don't think it's worth the fight and already see that consumer drones are dead - which explains why 3DR already exited that market, Yuneec is in the process of exiting, and DJI certainly seems to have one foot out the door already.
Interesting discussion, and trust me, I hope the free use of these continue, I'm just wary. If anything, DJI set up the Mavic for whatever restrictions get impossed. One day you'll go to launch in your driveway and guess what, that'll be a no fly zone due to some new law.

I don't think the governments care about the profits of Chinese manufacturers.

And, I don't think mainstream manufacturers (DJI) will go the full route of only unlocking the range for commercial users. They are in it to make money. If 99% of the users are hobbyists, they are going to keep costs low and only manufacturer a drone that goes as high/far as it is allowed to go. They'll likely sell a commercial version fof 5X to 10X the price if needed (more features, lower volume).

Those Canada rules are scary...

The big thing missing from the first page on Racenviper's link is that the 75m distance restriction is LATERALLY from people, vehicles, buildings, etc. No flying at 90m directly OVER buildings, etc even when you're 9km from an aerodrome (not just an airport). It's readable in a link off that first page though. The way the interim order is worded, it's possible to interpret it in such a way that any lake or river that has ever had a seaplane land on it could be considered an aerodrome.

Interim order

Here's the official Transport Canada definition of the center of the 9km no-fly zones for drones over 250g-

"Aerodrome: Any area of land, water (including the frozen surface thereof) or other supporting surface used or designed, prepared, equipped or set apart for use either in whole or in part for the arrival, departure, movement or servicing of aircraft and includes any buildings, installations and equipment situated thereon or associated therewith.

Note: This definition of "Aerodrome" includes water aerodrome and heliports."

Previously, I used something like Airmap for no fly zones. This only included airports and aerodromes like heliports registered with Transport Canada but not all heliports. DJI doesn't recognize the hospital heliport in their software that I've seen but it's in Airmap To further cloud things, there's a Coast Guard heliport in a harbour near me. It's not listed in Airmap _or_ DJI's software as a no-fly zone because it's not an "official" one registered (or licensed or recognized or whatever the proper term is) with Transport Canada like the local hospital's heliport is. You can bet that it's considered an aerodrome under the new legislation though, and the existing software is useless to tell you where to fly.

What isn't clear (to me at least) is whether this includes anybody's house on a river that has a float plane, or possibly any water surface that's ever been "used...in whole or in part for the arrival, departure, movement or servicing of aircraft". It doesn't say anything about having to be a registered heliport or aerodrome or how often it is used. I bet it means no until there's a possible complaint, leaving recreational flyers open to essentially random fines of up to $3000 based on unknowable unlisted "aerodromes".

Got a business nearby that has visits from helicopters occasionally and an X painted on the ground? 9km. Got a neighbour way out in the country that has an ultralight hidden in his barn that he launches from his mowed pasture twice a year? 9km. Got a float plane that occasionally visits the remote lake you own a cottage on? 9km.

Picture this scenario. You're flying by yourself in a legal flying zone with no buildings, vehicles, or people around. Some hothead thinks you MIGHT be doing something illegal because, you know, it's a drone, and comes up to you and chews you out for no reason. You have to bring your drone in because you can't fly it properly and keep your eyes on it it at all times because some jerk is chewing you out. You hit RTH to be able to talk calmly without distractions with this guy as quickly and easily as possible. Your drone lands within 75m of him, naturally, because RTH is right beside you and since he's already called 911 to report you like the Minister of Transportation told him to, you get a fine from the nice friendly policeman because an upstanding citizen reported illegal drone use, which wasn't happening until he came up and complained about it.

This is poorly worded draconian legislation that could possibly turn even the best informed recreational flyer with the best of intentions into a law breaker unless they're flying at an event sanctioned by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada.

Got a business nearby that has visits from helicopters occasionally and an X painted on the ground? 9km. Got a neighbour way out in the country that has an ultralight hidden in his barn that he launches from his mowed pasture twice a year? 9km. Got a float plane that occasionally visits the remote lake you own a cottage on? 9km.

Picture this scenario. You're flying by yourself in a legal flying zone with no buildings, vehicles, or people around. Some hothead thinks you MIGHT be doing something illegal because, you know, it's a drone, and comes up to you and chews you out for no reason. You have to bring your drone in because you can't fly it properly and keep your eyes on it it at all times because some jerk is chewing you out. You hit RTH to be able to talk calmly without distractions with this guy as quickly and easily as possible. Your drone lands within 75m of him, naturally, because RTH is right beside you and since he's already called 911 to report you like the Minister of Transportation told him to, you get a fine from the nice friendly policeman because an upstanding citizen reported illegal drone use, which wasn't happening until he came up and complained about it.

This is poorly worded draconian legislation that could possibly turn even the best informed recreational flyer with the best of intentions into a law breaker unless they're flying at an event sanctioned by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada.

This hits the real issues on the head.

Just received an e-mail from DJI this morning. It means that DJI is taking some actions. Please sign up to support!

Join the Network of Drone Enthusiasts today!

View in browser

Dear Creator,

The last few years have been especially exciting for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly known as drones. Today, drones are generating new opportunities around the world for business, government, nonprofit, educational and recreational use. Drones also assist first responders, make hazardous jobs safer, let people take stunning photos and inspire our children to get involved with science and technology.

However, regulators in Canada have recently imposed recreational flight restrictions that threaten the future of this growing industry. Some of the rules include prohibiting drone flights:

• Closer than 75 meters from buildings, structures, vehicles, animals and people
  • Within 9 kilometers of any type of airport, without any provision for airport permission
  • At night

These rules could prohibit drones from being used for education, art, and film making, even in your own backyard, and even when you are flying safely.

This is why it’s important that your elected officials hear how drones are safe, fun and educational. And responsible drone pilots like you are the best people to deliver that message.

To that end, we helped start the Network of Drone Enthusiasts (NODE), a new grassroots group dedicated to advocating for the interests of responsible drone pilots across the United States and Canada. NODE gives affiliated drone organizations a united voice to collaborate with legislators and regulators on developing reasonable and effective drone regulations that encourage drone use while protecting public safety.

A modest investment of your time will be invaluable in protecting your rights and the rights of fellow drone owners and pilots.

Join the Network of Drone Enthusiasts today by:

• Signing up here on the website. It only takes 30 seconds!
  • Following NODE’s Facebook and Twitter accounts for the latest news.
  • Spreading the word about NODE, with friends and fellow enthusiasts across the country.

All drone pilots and fans, from do-it-yourself drone kit owners to commercial operators, are welcome to join this grassroots movement. NODE’s website will make it easy for concerned pilots to get involved and ensure they can work with their elected officials and talk about the benefits of drones and their admirable safety record.

Together, we can ensure that public safety is a priority and protect the rights of drone owners and pilots. Thanks again for your willingness to stand up and be counted.

Sincerely,

DJI

Reactions: KiterTodd and AyeYo
Manufacturer push back, as predicted. Glad they're going to attempt to fight this.

The big thing missing from the first page on Racenviper's link is that the 75m distance restriction is LATERALLY from people, vehicles, buildings, etc.

Maybe YOU should go back and reread the link I offered. It is there.

For your edification @Racenviper here is the exact text of what your provided link states "
  • closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds, etc."
Please read carefully and notice that it omits the LATERALLY part and mistakenly leaves the possible interpretation that flying high and directly overhead is permissible.

Please give others some credit to possibly find mistakes in the work of others that you didn't note (twice) before you are rude. It was Transport Canada's error, not yours. I merely used your name so others knew which link I was talking about. It wasn't a personal insult like you seem to think it was.

For clarification, laterally means horizontal distance without the vertical component. This detail is mentioned in the actual interim order but not the TC link that many will read. Stupid omission on their part. I merely pointed it out as an example of how rushed and flawed their response is.

Reactions: KiterTodd and AyeYo
Have fun flying those drones guys... I'm selling mine. Screw this ****

upload_2017-3-23_14-13-11.png

I figure there'll be a bunch for sale... I've got enough places to fly mine that I won't. I might even get certified so I can fly where and how recreational flyers can't.

I think we will have to wait till June and see what laws are put in place, the ones that were put in place a week ago are temporary and hopefully get change as they will kill the hobby in Canada

Reactions: Dragonwar
They might refine them but I doubt they'll make them weaker. I hope they at least moderate the blanket 9km "aerodrome" restriction though. And $3000 for flying with 75m laterally of any animal, vehicle, person, etc? That's nuts.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato