DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Someone make a new Mavic Air Battery

thongbong

Reactions
I just noticed theres enough clearance room underneath the MA's belly to add another cell, making it a 4s battery. I'm almost certain the engineers at DJI know this but they probably didnt want to give same flight times to both the MA and MP, it would have been an easy adjustment.

I think there is more to it than that. Bigger battery equates to more weight. If you want more performance like they were after, then it means bigger motors. Bigger motors and battery means bigger cost. Next thing you know, you’re 100 buck difference between the Pro and the Air... Doesn’t fit DJI’s marketing strategy...

Plus they need to save something for the Mavic Pro 2. ;)

I just noticed theres enough clearance room underneath the MA's belly to add another cell, making it a 4s battery. I'm almost certain the engineers at DJI know this but they probably didnt want to give same flight times to both the MA and MP, it would have been an easy adjustment.

Reactions: thongbong

Do you not understand the difference between series and parallel? Adding another cell in series is not going to add flight time.

The motors are controlled by what is effectively a switching power supply. So I think adding a cell in series would add flight time. It's not like a normal RC model where a higher battery voltage just makes it go faster. However I agree with MavicMo about why they haven't done it.

n+
Do you not understand the difference between series and parallel? Adding another cell in series is not going to add flight time.
But it will, because for the same motor output power you'll be drawing less current, so the cells will run down slower.

Of course it raises flight times, it raises the efficiency between motor and esc, anyone who's ever built a custom quad knows an extra cell adds efficiency. Between a 3S 5200mah lipo and 4s 5200mah lipo, you bet 4s will fly longer.

I think there is more to it than that. Bigger battery equates to more weight. If you want more performance like they were after, then it means bigger motors. Bigger motors and battery means bigger cost. Next thing you know, you’re 100 buck difference between the Pro and the Air... Doesn’t fit DJI’s marketing strategy...

Plus they need to save something for the Mavic Pro 2. ;)
I still would like to see someone hack the firmware to allow 4s... not me I"m too dumb lol

It's unlikely the electronics are designed to handle 4s.

Keep 3s but with larger capacity cells yes maybe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wiz4rd