DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Southern California - 909/626/714

Thanks for sharing that.

My in-laws live less than a mile from that spot. I usually just take off from their backyard and explore the area. Great views to the north towards Yorba Linda, and if you go high enough, then you can view the 241 and the mountains on the other side.

I also have a friend who lives Anaheim Hills. He has a Mavic Pro and shot some really cool footage in that area. There was a coyote walking in one aerial shot.
Occasionally you'll see something interesting in Anaheim Hill, like wild deer.

Reactions: namja and 2nd2non
I make a point to fly stealth, such as flying from inside the car, or away from crowds on the beach if I can find a spot. I rarely fly around people, they always want to ask me a hundred questions, unless my wife is there to field the questions.

Huntington Beach isn't a problem, but Laguna Beach has a new ordinance. You'll get hassled by LEOs now if you are noticed and someone complains. STEALTH, HIDE, AVOID people.

It seems I'm struggling to find a spot to fly and film the beautiful SoCal coast. I was at Laguna today, and like you said, there are new "No Drone Signs" posted everywhere. They even have the "No Drones" flashing on the public service announcement signs along the side of the road. Laguna Beach is proud of their new ordnance.

I've been down to Huntington twice this week. Problem is that the Vans National Surfing Championships are set up there now. People and tents and portable stadiums set up all over the place.

I'm like you, I like "stealth" . . . . . I like to avoid people. I'm going to try some of the spots shown and discussed in this thread. THANK you for the google map!!!

It seems I'm struggling to find a spot to fly and film the beautiful SoCal coast. I was at Laguna today, and like you said, there are new "No Drone Signs" posted everywhere. They even have the "No Drones" flashing on the public service announcement signs along the side of the road. Laguna Beach is proud of their new ordnance.

I've been down to Huntington twice this week. Problem is that the Vans National Surfing Championships are set up there now. People and tents and portable stadiums set up all over the place.

I'm like you, I like "stealth" . . . . . I like to avoid people. I'm going to try some of the spots shown and discussed in this thread. THANK you for the google map!!!
There are lots of places to beach fly. North of Laguna there's Crystal Cove. Here's a favorite place you have to hike or bike too. It's not too far from the parking area, I always take an eBike. Flying north from this point you'll discover the Arch rock, and right there is a huge 30,000 sqft home, look like the Flintstones house with a rounded roof-line, you can't miss it.. One of the most expensive homes in the country at $75mil. Complete with bowling alley, and air condition auto shop. Palos Verdes is one of my favorite places to fly, but there are restrictions in a few areas that are posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: treytexag
There are lots of places to beach fly. North of Laguna there's Crystal Cove. Here's a favorite place you have to hike to bike too. It's not too far from the parking area, I always take an eBike. Flying north from this point you'll discover the Arch rock, and right there is a huge 30,000 sqft home, look like the Flintstones house with a rounded roof-line, you can't miss it.. One of the most expensive homes in the country at $75mil. Complete with bowling alley, and air condition auto shop. Palos Verdes is one of my favorite places to fly, but there are restrictions in a few areas that are posted.
I love that stretch between Laguna and Newport. It's a beautiful drive. Crystal Cove beach is one of my favorite quiet beaches to visit. A few things:

1. If you're gonna go there anyway, stop by Bear Flag Fish Company located in the Crystal Cove Shopping Center (about 1 mile south). Really great fresh fish. Love their poke.
2. If you like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, charcuterie, cheese plates, and those types of things, visit Baker & Olive at Corona Del Mar Plaza (about 2 miles north).
3. Further up at Fashion Island, there is a relatively new restaurant called True Food Kitchen. Lots of vegetarian & vegan options. And meat options.
4. That "$75 million house" was on the market for a long time. It eventually sold in 2010 for $34 million, less than half the original ask. Zillow has a current estimate at $43 million, but we all know how loose Zillow is with their estimates.
5. Assuming that the house is $43 million now, and if you somehow qualified for a 30 year mortgage with 5% interest after putting 20% down, then your mortgage payment would be $185,000 per month.

Reactions: treytexag
I live in Chino Hills and I am ready to fly anytime during the weekdays or weekends. If anyone wants to go fly together just give me a shout out. My email addy is: [email protected]
adc1c217f7994bfd33d4d64ae985f922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Just got my Mavic a couple of days ago and Im looking for a place to fly it...I live in the City of Colton

Im in SB, go to shandin hill middle school in the afternoon, nice view of north SB.
That's a beautiful area. Anything north of the 210 is pretty cool. I also like Yucaipa area near Crafton Hills College. Beautiful view of the valley and the mountains.

For anyone living in/around San Bernardino, check out the drone page of the SBD airport:
Drone Flight Information - San Bernardino International Airport (SBD)
And be sure to check out the No Drone Zone map. The red area (looks like Chevy symbol) is the No Drone Zone. Also, it has the Airport Control Tower phone number on the map.

Hi MavicQ...
Have you flown in this place with no issues meaning with the cops, residents or school officials?
Thanks....
The school should be no problem on weekends when no kids are playing on the fields. It's 6mi from the airport. However the hill behind the school looks a lot more fun IMO. You can fly for miles on either side of the hill, with a great view of the areas below. Frankly though, being that close to the mountains, that's where I'd head. Silverwood Lake maybe, Lake Gregory, Arrowhead, etc. Beautiful areas up there, and it's cooler up high. No problem with altitude, I've flown at 12,000' MSL, easy flight if there's no wind. Also, Cajon pass is nearby, there's some great rock formations that as interesting to fly around, and TRAINS! Chasing trains is a hoot, and there's no way you'll put those bad boys in danger with a little 3lb drone.

Reactions: BeefStew
The school should be no problem on weekends when no kids are playing on the fields. It's 6mi from the airport. However the hill behind the school looks a lot more fun IMO. You can fly for miles on either side of the hill, with a great view of the areas below. Frankly though, being that close to the mountains, that's where I'd head. Silverwood Lake maybe, Lake Gregory, Arrowhead, etc. Beautiful areas up there, and it's cooler up high. No problem with altitude, I've flown at 12,000' MSL, easy flight if there's no wind. Also, Cajon pass is nearby, there's some great rock formations that as interesting to fly around, and TRAINS! Chasing trains is a hoot, and there's no way you'll put those bad boys in danger with a little 3lb drone.
Thanks John for the info...I might try to fly there tomorrow if its not too windy....

Just got the mavic this weekend. Any good spots to fly in the areas of Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Rialto?

Just got the mavic this weekend. Any good spots to fly in the areas of Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Rialto?
Since you're new to Mavic, I wouldn't get too adventurous until you get familiar with the craft in an open field. Learn and use RTH so when you have to use it, you know how it works. If you haven't read the manual, you must do that to get clarity on the RTH quirks and limitations. Get familiar with RTH return height, and set it to at least 300' instead of the stock 90' so it clears trees and most buildings. Learn how to do a POI by picking an object in a field and circle around it while keeping the object in the center of the screen. This manual POI skill is very helpful when exploring and recording. Get comfortable with launch and landing in an open field (no trees around). Try out all the modes and learn them inside out in the open field, such as tripod mode. Learn about the camera settings (you can also do this in your bedroom with no props). Take some photos and understand the importance of the position of the sun to prevent sun flares and glares (biggest issue with Mavic optics). There are many open field areas northeast of Rialto along the 210. Those areas are boring, but safe for the beginner to get familiar with your craft, radio and app. Lots to learn, but don't forget to read the manual before you fly. And if you haven't watched YouTube videos on Mavic, that helps too, but it doesn't replace the manual read. There are lots of subtleties in the app you'll need to know, such as multi-mode, IMU calibration, compass calibration, gimbal calibration, etc. Lots to learn. and it's best to learn it before you crash as a preventative measure.

After you feel comfortable and competent with the craft you might want to fly in Cajon Pass and capture some train action. There are some cool rock formations up there that the trains go through.

Cool thanks man. I definitely need to read the manual. Cajon pass really would be nice though.

Hi MavicQ...
Have you flown in this place with no issues meaning with the cops, residents or school officials?
Thanks....
Yes no problems, i flew like at 6/7 at shandinhills midle school close to kendall

Try Fontana park on summit, just be careful with power lines and don't fly over the pool when ppl is there

Joining in on this thread. New Mavic Pro owner, but been flying the Spark. I live in Long Beach, but looking for good places to fly. I got a lot of good ideas out of this thread so far.

I'll track this thread for reference. Thanks for the info on some drone flying spots.. I flew around a couple times around El dorado park but It's $7 to park there also it's Class D airspace between Long Beach and Los Alamitios Airport. I'm trying to find some spots where I can get more comfortable flying the mavic with some room for error in case things go south.

I'll track this thread for reference. Thanks for the info on some drone flying spots.. I flew around a couple times around El dorado park but It's $7 to park there also it's Class D airspace between Long Beach and Los Alamitios Airport. I'm trying to find some spots where I can get more comfortable flying the mavic with some room for error in case things go south.
Try Sunken City at Point Fermin. You can park and lift off at the end of Pacific Ave.

Reactions: Ro-Dee
This thread has not been updated in a while. Are there any more good places to fly here that are more stealth or drone friendly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78