DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spotlight / floodlight to see vermin in paddocks

Reactions
Hi guys ive stumbled on the forum looking for advice from anyone who has managed to find a spotlight/ floodlight
that can be faced downwards so im able to view animals in the paddocks of my farm at night ?

i

Reactions: Gagey52
Hi guys ive stumbled on the forum looking for advice from anyone who has managed to find a spotlight/ floodlight
that can be faced downwards so im able to view animals in the paddocks of my farm at night ?

i

Unfortunately in Australia you cannot legally fly a drone at night.

Ref: Drones rules

If the rules change at anytime in the future, the Mavic Enterprise drones with Infrared vision would do the trick with no need for a spotlight.

And I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Welcome to the forum look forward to your input.
Regards

Thanks for all the reply’s much appreciated. I didn’t realise we couldn’t fly at night if it was on our own private property. I have 1000acres and thought it would be fine. Thanks for letting me know.

I was thinking about putting a small headlamp on it with 3m double sided tape, wasn’t sure if the payload would be too much or not.

but now I guess I’ll have to wait till the laws change.

thanks again for your time and input

It was a good idea although I envision many sightings of UFO’s in your area ?. Welcome to the forum.

No one lives within 2.5km of my property so no UFO sightings ?. I haven’t actually got my drone yet it’s in the mail, Are there any licences we can obtain to fly at night?

i
If you still would like to know what kind of spot lights would work, I can tell you. I'm a flashlight junky, you could say. I have over 12 different small pocket carry lights that put out 1500 to 5000 lumens. I found the Klarus G15 5 ounces, gives off the brightest and whitest beam (found on Amazon). It will drop its lumens (due to heat production) to a minimum of 1500 lumens. At 100ft at night in picture mode, the app screen is well lit. You can see just about everything. At 60 ft, it looks like your flying in daylight. The attached pic is an example of an Air2S with the light attached to the side, using 10lb test industrial velcro. The light can be angled in any direction. I've flown over 100 hours with these lights, they haven't fallen off or caused any issues with my drones. The M2P and EVO2 series drones can carry 2 lights, one on each side and really brighten your night. If you own the property, isn't illegal for law enforcement to go on it without a warrant?

Attachments

• Air2S w Spot Light.jpg
    Air2S w Spot Light.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 14
Legend mate cheers for the info, Yeh I have a few spotlights for hunting but none suitable for the drone. Appreciate your input, I have a Klarus xt11gt and an olight javelin and another olight model, all used for my rifles.
Yes your right they need a warrant to come into my property although I don’t want to fly it illegally either way. Would only take one person to report it if/how they did see it. There are a couple roads that run along two sides of the property. So I don’t wanna risk it.

So there no licence we can get to fly at night ?

Anyone know the payload a mini 2 can support ? I’m gonna inquire about flying at night to casa see if there are any licences available seeing I’m on 1000 acres

TOP TEN DRONE LAWS IN AUSTRALIA:​

New: Australian Drone Registration​

For recreational drone users and flying for fun, drone registration will be required by 30 May 2022. Some drones will not require registration example under 250 grams that are not used for commercial/business use.

If you fly your drone commercially or for your business - all drones need to be registered by the 28th January 2021. A certificate of registration is required and valid for 12 months. From January 2021: Failure to provide the certificate of registration to Police or CASA officials can incur fines of up to $11,100. Learn More About Drone Registration.

Australian Drone Laws and Regulations Explained​

(1). Only fly during the day​

As a recreational user, you can only fly your drone during daylight. This means between sunrise and sunset. Once the sun has set, the pilot must land their aircraft and/or not take off. Night flying is strictly prohibited for all recreational drone flyers. Terminology: BOD stands for Beginning of Day, EOD stands for End of Day.

(2). 120 Meters or 400 Feet Maximum Flight Height AGL​

You must not fly your drone higher than 400FT or 120M from the ground. If a building is at 50M above ground, you are not permitted to go to the top of the building and fly your drone 120M above the top. Instead, the 120M is taken from the ground level of the building. Terminology: AGL = Above Ground Level and MSL = Mean Sea Level

(3). You must not fly over or above people​

It’s against the law to fly over any person. This rule expands to local parks, sporting events, ovals where there is a game on and includes populous area. Definition of populous: The area where you are flying has sufficient density to people, cars, buildings, events etc.

(4). 30 Meter Separation​

While you are not permitted to fly over people, you must keep your drone at least 30 meters away from people. This includes property such as parked cars, foot traffic, moving vehicles, infrastructure such as a railway.

(5). VLOS – Visual Line of Sight​

You must always be able to see your drone with your own eyes. Without the aid of a phone/tablet screen or the use of FPV (First Person View) goggles. If your drone is out of sight or too far away, then you’re BLOS – (Beyond line of sight). Drone Laws in Australia only permit for a visual line of sight. Visual line of sight also refers to not flying in fog or clouds.

(6). Public Safety and Emergencies​

You must not fly your drone near a current emergency. Example car crash, rescue, fire, bushfire, police operation. For larger incidents, the CASA app will indicate a red circle around the incident. The restricted area is removed once the incident is clear. You can also check on the Victorian Emergency website.

(7). 5.5KM Radius from Airports and Helicopter Landing Sites​

Controlled Airport (Airport with a Tower): If your drone weighs more than 250grams, you must stay away at least 5.5KM (3NM - Nautical Miles) from a controlled airport. Example Melbourne, Essendon, Avalon, Moorabbin Airports.

Non-Controlled Airport (Airport without a Tower): When the airport is listed as non-controlled example Bendigo Airport, you may fly inside the 5.5KM radius (3NM - Nautical Miles) only if you know that no aircraft are taking off and landing from the non-controlled airport. When you see or hear an aircraft while inside the non-controlled zone, you must land immediately and not take off.

As of September 2020: Manual of Standards Part 101 was updated to include a no-fly zone anywhere inside 3NM - Nautical Miles (5.5KM) of a non-controlled airport, include the approach and departure paths. Excluded Category and recreational drone operators are no longer permitted to fly inside 3NM - Nautical Miles (5.5KM) of an non-controlled airport. See section 9.02 and 9.03.

** Certified operators who hold a RePL and ReOC have documented process to fly in these zones and are permitted to fly inside 3NM of an non-controlled airport when there is no relevant event. What is a Relevant Event? A relevant event is when a manned aircraft is in the airspace, including when the aircraft is approaching, landing, taking off, or moving around the airport.

(8). Approach and Departure of Controlled and Non-Controlled Airports​

This is a restricted zone and flying is strictly prohibited within the approach and departure of a non-controlled and controlled airport. The approach and departure lanes span 15 degrees up to 7KM from the airport and are visible on various CASA Apps. The zone is highlighted in red (restricted) as manned aircraft maybe making their approach or taking off. Manned aircraft may be flying under 400FT in these zones.

(9). Drone Laws Regarding Privacy​

Different states have different laws regarding privacy and photography. As a rule, don’t photograph anyone without their consent. As a recreational user, you are required to respect public privacy by not photographing people. If you are concerned about drone privacy you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.

(10). Fly one drone at a time​

Not sure how anyone can fly multiple drones at the same time. This drone law is exactly what it states. Only fly one drone per person at any one time. You can own multiple drones, just fly them one at a time.

I just read on google that if a drone is under 259grams then it doesn’t need to be registered and can fly anywhere/anytime

is this correct ??
The mini 2 doesn’t need to be registered so does it still fall under the same “laws” or is it classed as a toy like the small ones you can buy ?

I have registered my MM1 just to be on the safe side.
The 'flying over people' is a bit of a grey area.
I understand the restriction to hover but many a time I have been in transit and people have walk underneath even though I am at 30+ metres.
Not sure how it would go with CASA as I think they are not sure of how to police drones at the moment.
Bottom line is to fly safe and avoid obvious risks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut