DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stress crack near battery latch

wowography

Reactions
MPP- Anyone seeing stress crack near the battery lock down latch.
I’m thinking part is inexpensive enough as a self repair except my aircraft will end up with a blank space where the OEM label and serial number used to be affixed. I have DJI Care and would hate to violate terms prohibiting tampering maybe time to send it in let them repair or replace.

Anyone get a unit back from repair with no DJI label attached

IMG_3964.JPG

MPP- Anyone seeing stress crack near the battery lock down latch.
I’m thinking part is inexpensive enough as a self repair except my aircraft will end up with a blank space where the OEM label and serial number used to be affixed. I have DJI Care and would hate to violate terms prohibiting tampering maybe time to send it in let them repair or replace.

Anyone get a unit back from repair with no DJI label attached

View attachment 34153

Sorry to see the stress crack. Having owned a P3 and P4 and encountering stress cracks on both, I now store my drones as stress free as I know possible. This means I don't keep the battery in the drone unless it's being flown. Otherwise the battery bay sits open. The P4 had reported stress cracks around the battery slot. As snug as batteries sit in their slots I cant help but think there is constant stress against the plastic when the battery is installed. Good luck in what and how you decide to maintenance your MPP.

Reactions: mavawa
Thanks! It’s on the way to DJI in California. I like the idea of not storing the aircraft with the battery attached. I will take that advice.

Reactions: Mitch
You can buy the label and possibly transfer your serial number tag over. I removed the whole thing and put it away when I switched upper shells.

Reactions: wowography
I wipe the unit down often and noticed the stress crack. No flight issues that I can attribute to the crack.

I haven't flown for a few weeks. Went out today and found the stress crack on one side and a chip out of the latch on the other side (pictures attached). NEVER crashed or handled roughly and for the past two months I've20180414_161425.jpg 20180414_161435.jpg 20180414_161435.jpg followed the advise on this forum and removed the battery from the drone while in storage. Hope DJI handles this quickly. Will keep everyone posted.

Reactions: mnis and Mitch
Wonder if this is an issue with the Mavic Pro. Or, if there is some difference in the design/material of the MP vs. MPP?

I went on the MP general discussion and didn’t find anything relating to crack on battery latch. Maybe it is only a MPP problem!

I haven't flown for a few weeks. Went out today and found the stress crack on one side and a chip out of the latch on the other side (pictures attached). NEVER crashed or handled roughly and for the past two months I'veView attachment 35795 View attachment 35796 View attachment 35796 followed the advise on this forum and removed the battery from the drone while in storage. Hope DJI handles this quickly. Will keep everyone posted.
This is the exact same spot as my stress crack, just a little further along. I stopped using it immediately sent to DJI in California for replacement. New unit shipped same day my old device was received UPS 2nd day air.

This is the exact same spot as my stress crack, just a little further along. I stopped using it immediately sent to DJI in California for replacement. New unit shipped same day my old device was received UPS 2nd day air.

Wow, did they cover this under warranty? I don't want to use one of my replacements under the DJI Care agreement.

What's with the label? They send it back without a label identifying the aircraft???

I elected to use one of my Care Refresh options. I had travel plans that couldn’t be changed. It worked out perfectly. The returned device was brand new, not refurbished. I still have 1 Care Refresh option remaining plus State Farm. I’m good!

Reactions: mnis and lolo780
So I shipped my MPP back to DJI last week. Today they acknowledged receipt, looked it over fixed it and are returning it to me. They "repaired" it under warranty and e-mail me that it wouldn't go against my care refresh. When I checked my remaining care refresh it indicated I didn't have care refresh for my serial number. So i'm assuming they are replacing it. will it be a new one or refurbished???

I'm surprised DJI would replace the whole aircraft for a $12 lid and 15 min labor. But if you get a new unit, that's good :)

It’s on its way back, new serial number, new number has 2 refresh left on it. So how can I tell if it’s new or refurbished? Lolo your right it looked to me like a simple fix, don’t understand the reason to replace.

Anyone see this type if cracking? I have 2 batteries exhibiting this condition. when pushing in side latch buttons there's an internal force pushing up on top inside of battery case causing the stress. no swelling and they work just fine. should I be concerned?20190111_223058.jpg

Reactions: mnis
YES, you should be very worried about it!

There is nothing you can do externally, except in a safe environment to check voltage and capacity.

In all likelihood, one of the three battery cells has greatly expanded, and that is not reversible. Some claim that prolonged storage in a cold environment can reduce expansion. But such extended battery packs are to be regarded as a defect and should be treated as such.

During the next flight, the package could continue to expand, burst, and jump out of the battery holder.

Maybe other options:
It is a production error, or you pressed the power button with too much force. Then another use of the battery could be possible.

Basically, it is always good to know how the original condition was right after the purchase. And check all the accessories before each flight!

The last chance to capitalize on such a questionable part is to auction on eBay or similar platforms. There are always interested in defective Mavic batteries :)

Out of curiosity I would be interested in the production date and number of charge cycles of the battery. But conclusions about the actual battery health can only be guessed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS