DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air flew off, accelerated and smashed in to a wall at nearly 40mph!

... The instructions say nose pointing downward but the image shows nose upward!

And to make it even more confusing for new timers the on screen instruction in GO4 after initiated calibration show these pictures ...

1592826659934.png

But what matters is that you rotate in 2 different planes, I usually follow the GO4 suggested positions the few times I calibrate the compass. In addition to that I ALWAYS after power on check the drone icon on the map in GO4 & make sure it's there pointing in a direction that is equal to reality ... ALWAYS WITHOUT EXCEPTION ?

Reactions: Quick1
But what matters is that you rotate in 2 different planes, I usually follow the GO4 suggested positions the few times I calibrate the compass. In addition to that I ALWAYS after power on check the drone icon on the map in GO4 & make sure it's there pointing in a direction that is equal to reality ... ALWAYS WITHOUT EXCEPTION ?

But there's the problem - it was pointing in the correct direction.

But there's the problem - it was pointing in the correct direction.
Yep, understood that from your earlier post ... just referring to my usual take off behavior. With always checking the Icon direction I know at least that I've done what could have been done ... failing hardware can happen out of the blue, that's a factor a pilot need to weigh in by only flying over thing's that doesn't get hurt by a falling drone.

Reactions: sar104
that's a factor a pilot need to weigh in by only flying over thing's that doesn't get hurt by a falling drone.

But that in itself with these type of flyaways presents another problem, in the case of the OP he took off away from people, but the drone then flew off at 40mph. In 20 seconds at that speed the drone has covered 350m (1,200') and could very well at that point be over things that do get hurt by a falling / runaway drone. I wonder if as someone mentioned earlier, firmware could be modified by DJI, such that in cases like this, the drone attempts to land. I know for me, while it would suck to lose my M2P (if it landed somewhere I could not retrieve it), I would rather lose the drone than it hit someone at 40mph.

Definitely another point to really pay attention to where you are taking off from.

That's correct ... like a rolling snowball. The flight controller will eventually give up & go to ATTI, but in most cases when it comes to yaw errors most AC will have crashed by then ...
correct. Had it happen to me. I was able to regain control in ATTI mode and bring my Mavic back after a runaway. I switch to atti myself and sport mode before I lost connection. Early lesson learned

This is where the drone took off from. Near the end of the concrete retaining wall on towards the right hand side. Then when it had a home point, out towards the sea over the rocks below before it went left in an arc on its own.

Attachments

• 99284704-3CCD-4564-A83F-75537B02C9D6.jpeg
    99284704-3CCD-4564-A83F-75537B02C9D6.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
Wow yeah your poor Mavic Air! Hopefully you get it back soon and are up flying again. I'm assuming the cost to repair was low enough that it made sense to repair rather than replace with either a used Mavic Air or new Mavic Air 2?

Wow yeah your poor Mavic Air! Hopefully you get it back soon and are up flying again. I'm assuming the cost to repair was low enough that it made sense to repair rather than replace with either a used Mavic Air or new Mavic Air 2?
If it is just the two legs and props that need replacing I hope to get some change from £200. The price quoted includes a diagnosis, parts, labour and testing.

Reactions: naiku
If it is just the two legs and props that need replacing I hope to get some change from £200. The price quoted includes a diagnosis, parts, labour and testing.

That's not bad at all, especially as it looks fairly labor intensive dismantling the drone and de-soldering the wires to the broken arms, soldering new arms on etc.

I don't wish to be contentious, but I regret to have to say in my opinion it's your responsibility, not the drones. It was in an unsafe condition when it took off.
To be fair to the enquirer, the posting is seeking reasons and solutions, not judgements. The unseen potential influence of steel rebar in the concrete surrounds during the compass calibration is a timely and appropriate reminder to everyone. I hope the drone could be repaired. ?? ?

Reactions: Mrmund
It's too easy to look at these events and just assume that it was magnetic interference at startup. This event was more complex. The clues are all there, but you have to dig.

Firstly, the position mismatch is characteristic of simple compass interference:

View attachment 105553

The error does look like nearly 180° (it actually starts off at about 140°), but that's the first clue - 180° yaw errors do not produce curved flight paths - they produce linear uncontrolled flight. So what is going on here?

Firstly, the compass was calibrated after power up, so look there, because it is very telling:

View attachment 105554

Okay - that's very interesting. Two CCW 360° rotations, as expected, and as detected by the IMU yaw values (green), the VPS yaw (red) and most significantly the pure inertial yaw computed from just the rate gyros (orange). The magnetometer data are clearly wrong though - the first rotation is correct, but when the aircraft is switched to the second requested orientation prior to the second rotation, the magnetic yaw changes by 180° with no actual rotation, and then it doesn't change much at all for the subsequent 360° rotation. That's weird, and a big red flag.

So next look at the aircraft attitude for those two calibration rotations:

View attachment 105556

First rotation - pitch and roll approximately zero with the aircraft level. Then the aircraft is rolled onto its right side (pitch ≈ 0°, roll ≈ 90°). That causes the 180° change in magnetic yaw when there was actually no change in yaw. That's not the calibration procedure specified in the manual, although that sometimes differs from the on-screen instructions - I don't have an MA so I cannot verify:

View attachment 105557

The direction of rotation doesn't matter for calibration, but using an unexpected axis may, or may not matter.

Anyway - the compass was apparently significantly out of calibration based on those data, so the question is - did the calibration fix the issue. Looking at takeoff makes it clear that it did not:

View attachment 105558

The magnetic yaw changes with no physical rotation as the aircraft lifts off - indicating a local external field at the takeoff location. Then, at around 3.8 seconds, the FC rotates the aircraft CCW, likely to attempt to match the new magnetic yaw. Normally that is done while holding the IMU yaw constant; in this case the active IMU1 yaw deviates and is then returned to its original value (-135°), but the magnetic yaw doesn't see the rotation, and so the attempt at convergence fails. At this point it is hard to say what the real yaw value is since we clearly can't trust the compass even after takeoff.

So looking at the remainder of the flight:

View attachment 105559

After the FC-commanded rotation stops, we have a magnetic yaw of around 10° (N) and an active IMU yaw of around -135° (SW). At 22 seconds the pilot rotates the aircraft further CCW by 162° back to its original takeoff heading, but the compass only sees a 40° CCW turn. IMU1 goes with the rate gyro data and the IMU yaw changes to 70°.

At 26 seconds we finally get to find out the real aircraft yaw, when the pilot applies full forward elevator. Note that the IMU velocities completely disagree with the GPS velocities, which are correct. Computing the actual track from the GPS velocity data shows the following:

View attachment 105561

The aircraft heads southwest on a track of -135°, and so the original takeoff yaw was actually correct, but IMU1 is now on 70°. The other significant feature is at 28.5 seconds, when the compass records a nearly 180° CCW turn in 0.2 seconds, followed by the reverse turn at 30.5 seconds, also in 0.2 seconds. That's impossible, of course, and another red flag with a very obvious cause - here's the x-axis magnetic field strength plotted with pitch:

View attachment 105562

That is either a broken compass or a bad calibration, because the magnetic yaw is changing by 180° with a 30° pitch change. Yaw varying with pitch was the main trigger of the flight problems. Whether it was caused by, or made worse by the compass calibration procedure used is hard to say, but the calibration didn't fix it, that much is clear. And the change in yaw on takeoff - normally indicative of magnetic interference, was actually just due to a pitch change on takeoff, followed by a failed reconciliation attempt by the FC. There likely was no interference.
Great credit to this respondent. The technical analysis is excellent. ??

To be fair to the enquirer, the posting is seeking reasons and solutions, not judgements. The unseen potential influence of steel rebar in the concrete surrounds during the compass calibration is a timely and appropriate reminder to everyone. I hope the drone could be repaired. ?? ?
Well said

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark