DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Up... Ready For Night Flight

JonnyMac

Reactions
Well, after spending $260cdn on strobes and mounts I'm all ready for better day time visualization and now night flying that I can do.
- 4 Vifly strobes for orientation (keep them red and green)
- 4 Aerial Pixel arm mounts for the Vifly strobes
- 2 Firehouse ARC V white strobes
- 1 Aerial Pixel top mount for the Firehouse strobe
- Landing gear with the 2nd Firehouse strobe mounted on the bottom

105g heavier then stock coming in at 705g.

Now I'm waiting until I can fly with it all installed. I know landing gear isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like the added ground clearance.

20220602_173041.jpg
20220602_173023.jpg

20220602_173007.jpg
20220602_172458.jpg

Reactions: mavictk
I am actually impressed it is only 105 grams extra. That is a lot of lights and the extra landing gear.
Yeah I guess it's not too bad.

I don't plan on having all of this on all the time in any case. Other than the landing gear and bottom strobe. If I'm just flying around close to me then I won't have any of it on.

Mary Jane says you should clean that scale every once in awhile! 😂 In all seriousness, looks good and will surely fly fine. I have strobes on all 4 legs, with the mounts, and don't notice a difference with or without them. I don't have the landing gear or bottom strobe though. Are your strobes all white or do you have some red/green ones on there?

Mary Jane says you should clean that scale every once in awhile! 😂 In all seriousness, looks good and will surely fly fine. I have strobes on all 4 legs, with the mounts, and don't notice a difference with or without them. I don't have the landing gear or bottom strobe though. Are your strobes all white or do you have some red/green ones on there?

Those crumbs are legal herbs lol. But yes I should clean the scale. Herbs used for cooking ;)

I think it will fly fine, I've seen pictures where people have 360 cameras attached, go pros, mini spot lights etc.

As for the landing gear, I know landing gear is a debated topic. Some love them and some don't. Me personally I like them keep the drone off thr ground and keeps camera and gimbal off the ground too.

The strobes on the landing gear and battery mount are white only. The ones on the arms can we white, red or green. I have them set to red for the left and green on the right.

You're going to blind passing birds at night. 😉

😎 I can see you now all the way from Canada 🇨🇦. I thought it was the sunrise. 😂
I fly an AIR2S and find the stock strobes acceptable for BLOV in the evening…that’s my vision by the way. I also use the underbelly landing light if I’ve lost sight…it lights up pretty good too and is great during evening decents.

Fun and Safe flying…SEE you around 👍

So far I have ONE strobe on my Mini 2.

Ansu Strobe.jpg

INSYOO Drone Strobe Light Flashing Light Anti-Collision LED 3 Color Super Bright​

I hold it on with the supplied velcro, but it also comes with little rubber bands that hook around the legs. Makes for quite a light show. And as you can see the slot, it's rechargeable. Of course that put me over the limit for 449g, but with the DJI blade guard, I was going to register the drone anyway.

DJI_0070.JPG

Last edited:
Looking forward to an after action report. I finally picked up some strobes but haven't had the chance to do any low-light/night flying yet.

😎 I can see you now all the way from Canada 🇨🇦. I thought it was the sunrise. 😂
I fly an AIR2S and find the stock strobes acceptable for BLOV in the evening…that’s my vision by the way. I also use the underbelly landing light if I’ve lost sight…it lights up pretty good too and is great during evening decents.

Fun and Safe flying…SEE you around 👍

I'm in Canada too lol. I can't brighten you day anytime.

The stock lights are not strobes and they are not adequate lighting for night flying. They wouldn't meet FAA requirements.

The 2 lights on the back are status lights and also the lights are not the correct colour orientation.

The bottom light I guess is ok for close flying but wouldn't very visible from further distances.

Looking forward to an after action report. I finally picked up some strobes but haven't had the chance to do any low-light/night flying yet.
Yeah I have to wait until the weekend. I wake up very early for work so I'm in bed before the sun goes down haha.

I'll get some snaps with my phone. Unfortunately I can't upload video here.

Well, after spending $260cdn on strobes and mounts I'm all ready for better day time visualization and now night flying that I can do.

Now I'm waiting until I can fly with it all installed. I know landing gear isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like the added ground clearance.

View attachment 149234
View attachment 149235

View attachment 149238
View attachment 149237

View attachment 149234
View attachment 149235

View attachment 149238
View attachment 149237
The space station called. They said the lights are just fine......

I'm in Canada too lol. I can't brighten you day anytime.

The stock lights are not strobes and they are not adequate lighting for night flying. They wouldn't meet FAA requirements.

The 2 lights on the back are status lights and also the lights are not the correct colour orientation.

The bottom light I guess is ok for close flying but wouldn't very visible from further distances.
JonnyMac…
I didn’t mention FAA. I don’t fly at night, I may fly up to an hour pre dawn or apre dusk. The lights on the Air2S are strobes and the underbelly is a single led that puts out real good for MY vision. In the event I’m required to fly with approved lighting I only have to attach my regulation approved light which compliments my bag.

It works for me. Do I need all that lighting…NO. 👍

JonnyMac…
I didn’t mention FAA. I don’t fly at night, I may fly up to an hour pre dawn or apre dusk. The lights on the Air2S are strobes and the underbelly is a single led that puts out real good for MY vision. In the event I’m required to fly with approved lighting I only have to attach my regulation approved light which compliments my bag.

It works for me. Do I need all that lighting…NO. 👍
For sure. It's whatever works for each individual person. What works for you may not work for me and what works for me may not work for you! :)

I also have an obsession with flashing lights so there's that too. Haha.

I've wondered about using strobes but curious about the bright flashing coming from them and it interfering with video/photo capturing during night flights ?

I've wondered about using strobes but curious about the bright flashing coming from them and it interfering with video/photo capturing during night flights ?
Just don't put them on the front of the drone. I've flown with strobes for years, and have never had it interfere. I imagine if you're very close to something, or shooting into something reflective like a window you may have issues. But I never have.

Reactions: mavictk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13