DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck in tree approximately 100 feet up. Any suggestions?

StinkiePants

Reactions
Seems to be small branches. I though the wind would knock it down, but no. I used a dog ball thrower, but keep hitting other branches and just not accurate enough. Any thoughts? In New Haven area. (It's actually on the other side of that bigger branch, not on it.)IMG_6836.JPG

I went and bought a tennis ball gun and a wrist rocket. Gun had no power, and wrist rocket is not good with anything larger than small ball bearings (I was trying golf balls - first one almost did it, but wouldn't launch any after that one because the sling was too small and wet). Ugh.

I have .22 caliber pellet guns (PCP) that are so accurate, that without any wind I could easily pick off all the branches around it (except for the big ones) and I believe it would fall! But I live in PA :(

A slingshot (wrist rocket like you tried). Use light line tied to a weigh (like a medium nut or bolt). Aim to get it over a branch, not hit it or the drone. Once over you can add slack etc to get the weighted end back down. Use both ends of line to pull and shake. have someone there with a padded "something" (like a jacket or blanket) to catch the drone so it doesn't hit the ground.

A fishing reel is handy for spooling out and line handling.

When I worked with my step-son (tree worker) he had a super big sling shot type device mounted on a pole. We would shoot lines way up into the tree . It was actually very accurate - aim the pole like a rifle. It may pay to have a local tree person check it out and give you a quote.

Unfortunately, my family will not be home to help tomorrow, but I think I will try 1) Better sling shot, 2) baseball pitching machine (big and bulky, so I may not be able to carry it all the way myself - and I will need to run a few hundred of extension cord from the closest house if they don't mind.

I had a similar thing happen on my property, I went and bought those screw in tree stand steps that hunters use and climbed up enough until I could shake the tree, it eventually fell out.

Also I'd strongly suggest against shooting a 22 in the air (air rifle or not). Just terrible advice and a horrible violation of fundamental gun safety rules

When you use the sling shot. put a string (of course longer than 100 ft) on the ball.
Yes, trying to get over that branch. So that you can pull the string to shake the branch.

A slingshot (wrist rocket like you tried). Use light line tied to a weigh (like a medium nut or bolt). Aim to get it over a branch, not hit it or the drone. Once over you can add slack etc to get the weighted end back down. Use both ends of line to pull and shake. have someone there with a padded "something" (like a jacket or blanket) to catch the drone so it doesn't hit the ground.

A fishing reel is handy for spooling out and line handling.

I have had success with a fishing line tied to an arrow,
Shoot the arrow/line over thee branch.

If you do a search, it's been discussed many times.
Bow and arrow, with light line... try to get it over the branch.
If you fail, dont pull it all back, simply cut the line, pull it out, re tie, and try again..
Once you are over a selected branch, cut the line, and tie on a small string.... pull that through...
Then tie on a light rope, pull that through....
Once this is done, tie on a heavier rope, endeavour to pull that through, all this work, may have now begun to dislodge the Aircraft??
Failing that, on the heavier rope, attach a chain... carefully pull that through and attach it to this recovery device...
If all fails, turn recovery device around, and push said tree down.....
hqdefault.jpg

Seems to be small branches. I though the wind would knock it down, but no. I used a dog ball thrower, but keep hitting other branches and just not accurate enough. Any thoughts? In New Haven area. (It's actually on the other side of that bigger branch, not on it.)View attachment 91325
I had the same situation here in NC. In a very tall pine tree. I had to employ a professional tree trimmer who scaled the tree and in about 30 minutes and $125 I had my M2P in my hands with some minor propellor damage. I did send to to DJI for a replacement since it was still under their year warranty program. I have piece of mind for now.

I went and bought a tennis ball gun and a wrist rocket. Gun had no power, and wrist rocket is not good with anything larger than small ball bearings (I was trying golf balls - first one almost did it, but wouldn't launch any after that one because the sling was too small and wet). Ugh.
Pet Squirrel ?

1. Buy old people’s’ Grabber (extend if necessary)
2. Attach to your belt
3. Climb that tree
4. Retrieve your beloved drone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3