DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuttering video out put

IcoG

Reactions
Hi. Still pretty new at this, so sorry if this is an old topic. I have shot now a few videos with my Mavic 2. All Auto, MP4, 4k. The card I use is UH1.

What I have noticed is that if I watch the unedited (did not stat editing yet) footage on my MacBook Pro with Quick time I get stuttering. What I mean is that the video will stop (while the clock still is clicking) for several second then it kinds of catches up in an accelerated fashion. I have noticed that it also happens if I play the video in the file imported in Lightroom, but it seems to work fine if I look at the file in Capture one.

Since I use Macs should I shoot in MOV? Other thoughts?

Thanks

Prob just a limitation of your computer - when you upload something to Youtube is it choppy there?

Ya so its just a limitation of your computer - I recently upgraded a Dell Gaming system with GTX 1080 video card and lots of juice - no issues watching 4k video.

Before I upgraded I used a program called Kodi to watch the videos - also try a new version of VLC and see if it is any better as I think both programs use the same Codecs.

4K is an enormous amount of data. The raw footage will stutter at most normal computers, since it simply brings the cpu to its limits.

I don't have a MacBook Pro, but on a PC, there is a HUGE difference in playback performance depending on the software you use. While it is true that 4K requires a pretty hefty computer to get smooth playback, I have found that some software plays it perfectly, while other software yields the same lousy results that you describe. So, you might want to do some Google searching for something like "best Macbook 4K playback software".

With this machine, it will be even worse when you start editing, so consider an upgrade. Meanwhile, you could always save it to a smaller format/resolution to view and work with it in an editor.

4K is an enormous amount of data. The raw footage will stutter at most normal computers, since it simply brings the cpu to its limits.
I finally decided to switch from a Dell PC (an old one with Windows 7) to a powerful iMAC (>3 K $)with the top of the line specs (4.2GHz processor, Intel core i7,16 GB memory, fast video card) and I never get a problem, either in video editing, or in viewing, as well as huge processor needs in Adobe Premier Pro. On my Mac Book Pro (older model) processing video is slower and I have to use proxies sometimes to get things going. I really don't know much about all of these numbers but I certainly know that the more powerful your computer the better everything will run.

I finally decided to switch from a Dell PC (an old one with Windows 7) to a powerful iMAC (>3 K $)with the top of the line specs (4.2GHz processor, Intel core i7,16 GB memory, fast video card) and I never get a problem, either in video editing, or in viewing, as well as huge processor needs in Adobe Premier Pro. On my Mac Book Pro (older model) processing video is slower and I have to use proxies sometimes to get things going. I really don't know much about all of these numbers but I certainly know that the more powerful your computer the better everything will run.
That is a solution, BUT you need to have the finances to do that. I don't think the average drone pilot has the financial backup to simply by a new Mac (or another computer). And since I have learned (the hard hard way) that it is better to have less of everything, including debts, then have debts take over my life, I live with the limitations of my macbook.
So, for now, I cannot really see the advertised advantages of 4K, well that's life, there are more important things to me.

If you are using D-LogM which I suspect you are, which has to be in H265, the data is in 10 bit chunks not 8 bit like D-Cinelike or D-Log on the Phantom 4 series. 10 bit data is huge and H265 has large compression to be able to write so much data so quick on a 100 mbit per sec sd card. Data processing on PC needs massive amounts of video DDR memory to run 10 bit chunks smoothly.

Not using D Log, but I believe I am in H265. Interestingly when I went back much later to the clips they all seem to work fine and smooth. This makes me think it takes my 2017 MacBook Pro a bit of time to process the whole thing. I will try D Log soon to see how it works and than move to editing. In the end is sounds like a computer upgrade may be in the offing

Not using D Log, but I believe I am in H265. Interestingly when I went back much later to the clips they all seem to work fine and smooth. This makes me think it takes my 2017 MacBook Pro a bit of time to process the whole thing. I will try D Log soon to see how it works and than move to editing. In the end is sounds like a computer upgrade may be in the offing
I use Blue-Ray Player Pro on my Mac which plays all Mavic 2 pro video formats smoothly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998