DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Stutterless" 4K video

addohm

Reactions
So I took a bunch of 4K video today and when I pulled it down to my laptop it was FULL of stuttering after about 10 seconds of video.

I have a Samsung 256GB EVO SD which is advertised as 100MBps Read and 90MBps write, and for whatever reason, the drone barks about it. This same SD card speed works perfectly on my FDXLR3000 at 4K/60FPS.

What are the optimal video settings for 4K? Should I increase the cache to max?

The Mavic Codec is extremly CPU intense. What player (can it utilize the GPU) do you use and how fast is you laptops CPU?

The Mavic Codec is extremly CPU intense. What player (can it utilize the GPU) do you use and how fast is you laptops CPU?
Movavi
i7-8850H @ 2.6GHz, 64GB Ram, NVidia Quadro P3200 MaxQ

This same system deals with 4K@60FPS perfectly fine.

I'll double check and see if the raw videos stutter.

Reactions: Photo-Sorko
So that wasn't playing the raw clips? What was it then?

Also are you shooting h264 or h265?

So that wasn't playing the raw clips? What was it then?

Also are you shooting h264 or h265?

For what it's worth, the video that my phone captured has no stutters in it. Why does both my phone and the drone record to individual files at the same time? Could this be why?

H265 is heaps more resource intensive. Your hardware should likely be able to hardware decode it but your player might not support using that. Try another player or 2. Windows' built in video player should.

For what it's worth, the video that my phone captured has no stutters in it. Why does both my phone and the drone record to individual files at the same time? Could this be why?
No.
Your phone dumps the live view it receives to its storage, that puts no additional strain on the aircraft.

H265 is heaps more resource intensive. Your hardware should likely be able to hardware decode it but your player might not support using that. Try another player or 2. Windows' built in video player should.

No.
Your phone dumps the live view it receives to its storage, that puts no additional strain on the aircraft.

To review the videos I've used Movavi, VLC, and Window's "Movies and TV" Player. All stutter.

My PC's resources are barely scratched by attempts to decode the files I've transferred from the aircraft.

I've see where bright\white heavy video cause this. I checked a night video - same issue.

This shows the symptoms of a framerate conversion.
The file from youtube says it's 29.00fps. The aircraft would shoot only 24, 25 or 29.97, so something altered it.

What framerate did you shoot in?
Maybe post an actual original file on a file host so it's not being processed like youtube does.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
It's skipping frames on Youtube which is likely an indicator that the file you uploaded to Youtube just doesn't have all the frame data. If I were a betting man, I'd say your SD Card isn't fast enough to write 100mbps.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
As mentioned above it's just improper editing process, nothing to do with the SD card.
The Youtube file reports as 29fps instead of the 29.97, and unsurprisingly every 28-30th frame is dropped which is exactly what would be done for such a conversion due to mismatched footage and project framerates.

When I view the Youtube video it drops way more frames than just the 28th or the 30th. I get that the timecode doesn't match the output of the drone, but the stutters on the youtube video amount to way more than 1 or 2 dropped frames here and there, it's missing more along the lines of 10-50 frames any given second. There's no consistency to it either so I don't believe the problem is just a 29.97fps to 29fps conversion issue.

Reactions: Jepeve
I have to side with soundfreak. Everything about this points to what is happening locally on the drone, not on my PC. Like I said earlier, the raw file stutters regardless of how or where I try to play it. It stutters exactly as you see it on youtube.

Either way if you continue to wish to help me investigate, here is a link to the raw file copied directly from the drone.

Tried to download the file on my Mac, but the file doesn’t contain any metadata and won’t play. Can you upload it to Dropbox or google
It's was still uploading. It just finished.

I also stuffed the SD card into my phone and ran a read/write speed test on it and got very disappointing results.

122345.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905