DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden Crash New Mavic 2 Pro

The drone was hovering. No control input. Was moving under it to try some lapse shots. Something went very wrong with the drone. On the replay in dji4 view of the flight it shows it spinning and suddenly dropping. Will post the outcome with DJI... thanks

I am fairly new as well so take it for what its worth, but Im just wondering since you were bring the drone lowere a bit before it dropped, were u holding the controller joystick down for 3 sec. or more I learned if you hold the controller down for 3 sec. it automatically lands, I was getting low and close to a river and it alerted me it was landing, I pushed up on the sticks and it got out of there but I was a few i ches from loosing it, did it maybe go to land and hit some of the brush and fall, or am I way off? Can you post the flight log to see if there are any malfunctions alerted?

Have you the latest firmware on the bird and controller?
DJI has also updated the user manual so take a peek at this new manual which will answer most of your questions if you are unsure of various modes. Download the manual to your phone for reference in the field away from a PC.

I am fairly new as well so take it for what its worth, but Im just wondering since you were bring the drone lowere a bit before it dropped, were u holding the controller joystick down for 3 sec. or more I learned if you hold the controller down for 3 sec. it automatically lands, I was getting low and close to a river and it alerted me it was landing, I pushed up on the sticks and it got out of there but I was a few i ches from loosing it, did it maybe go to land and hit some of the brush and fall, or am I way off? Can you post the flight log to see if there are any malfunctions alerted?
Holding the left stick down for 3 seconds will only stop the motors if the drone has landed.
It's quite safe to hold the left stick down for much longer than 3 seconds while it's up in the air.
He did post his flight data in post #7 and what it showed is explained in post #8.

Have you the latest firmware on the bird and controller?
Failing to update firmware does not make your motor/s stop in mid-air.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Holding the left stick down for 3 seconds will only stop the motors if the drone has landed.
It's quite safe to hold the left stick down for much longer than 3 seconds while it's up in the air.
He did post his flight data in post #7 and what it showed is explained in post #8.

I am not saying this as a challange of any sort I should clarify, when the drone is hovering as low to the grown as the sensors allow, if you hold the left stick for 3 seconds the app says aircraf landing (or something of that sort) since I almost lost my drone over water that time i now use that function to land it in my hand or wherever close, holding the left stick down for 3 sec. it will land

This is gonna take weeks to resolve apparently. Drone sent in and will be examined. Not very warm and fuzzy DJI!! Guess they have to control costs when someone steals 120 million from the company!

This is gonna take weeks to resolve apparently. Drone sent in and will be examined. Not very warm and fuzzy DJI!! Guess they have to control costs when someone steals 120 million from the company!

Just doing their due diligence, what any company does.

Reactions: GregD

True, but an incorrectly loaded firmware can result in un-expected errors which may not be apparent until flight. For instance re-setting the RTH height after re-powering the RC abd bird etc.

Did you ever find the correct DAT file on your mobile device?

True, but an incorrectly loaded firmware can result in un-expected errors which may not be apparent until flight. For instance re-setting the RTH height after re-powering the RC abd bird etc.
With every correctly run firmware update, many settings, including the RTH height revert to default values.
Having the latest firmware - or any other firmware version makes no difference to basic flight and was not a factor in this incident.

Reactions: Aumoe
With every correctly run firmware update, many settings, including the RTH height revert to default values.
Having the latest firmware - or any other firmware version makes no difference to basic flight and was not a factor in this incident.

Have you seen the "dat" files and analyzed them? As an example, the original Inspire 1 had a battery fault which rendered the bird "dead" like a Month Python parrot, so a firmware update fixed this issue.

I got mine back in a few days... I'm still waiting for those files to be gone over. In all the time I've been on this forum, I can only remember one time that it wasn't found to be the fault of the pilot once the data was interpreted. We'll see.

It appears either to have lost a prop or suffered motor failure. The mobile device DAT file will show what happened, if you are interested in finding out.

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

I did a frame by frame on the video, I'm wondering if there wasn't grass or a bush or something? Obstacle avoidance turns off as you land, if it were on in the first place. This happened really close to the ground and then you see a bunch of tall grass.

I did a frame by frame on the video, I'm wondering if there wasn't grass or a bush or something? Obstacle avoidance turns off as you land, if it were on in the first place. This happened really close to the ground and then you see a bunch of tall grass.

I did that too, but it seemed inconclusive so I figured I'd wait to see the log. Looking at the txt log that was provided, the OP's description:

The drone was hovering. No control input. Was moving under it to try some lapse shots. Something went very wrong with the drone. On the replay in dji4 view of the flight it shows it spinning and suddenly dropping. Will post the outcome with DJI... thanks

is not correct. The video shows it descending, and the log shows down throttle right up to the point of the spin at 70 s:

1548727333795.png

Reactions: lolo780 and Live LA
I did that too, but it seemed inconclusive so I figured I'd wait to see the log. Looking at the txt log that was provided, the OP's description:

is not correct. The video shows it descending, and the log shows down throttle right up to the point of the spin at 70 s:

View attachment 60885

Really interesting. Did a prop fail or motor? Thanks for posting the flight recorder.

Those were the possibilities that I mentioned in post #2, but without the DAT file it's impossible to determine.

Could a landing sensor fail or is it possible that something else was not working, such as incorrect firmware etc.

Those were the possibilities that I mentioned in post #2, but without the DAT file it's impossible to determine.

Looking at the graph and video seems a drastic "yaw" rate (unable to correct) and classic propeller failure.

Could a landing sensor fail or is it possible that something else was not working, such as incorrect firmware etc.

I'm no Sar104 but I do problem analysis and solution every day. In my experience, I go to the operator before I tear a complex system apart. It looks like tall grass caught a rear prop from the video. That's just a guess though...

Reactions: 747P4

I have a feeling that you're not going to see it... It doesn't take "weeks" for DJI to go over the files and give an answer. If you don't accept their explanation, you can send your drone in for a more in depth look at it. That might take a minute, depending on the shipping time. I guess we'll see if he comes back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78