DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden Crash New Mavic 2 Pro

Still waiting for anything from DJI. Many new accessories in boxes. Bird was over elevation of my head when I walked toward it to start lapse photography. With no input from me it spun and flipped to the grassy ground.

I had a phantom 2 but did not fly much due to fear of liability. I thought this was well worked out. I am a 3k hour commercial pilot. This event reinforced the liability aspect.

Will send all of this stuff back if no definitive answer found.

Still waiting for anything from DJI. Many new accessories in boxes. Bird was over elevation of my head when I walked toward it to start lapse photography. With no input from me it spun and flipped to the grassy ground.

I had a phantom 2 but did not fly much due to fear of liability. I thought this was well worked out. I am a 3k hour commercial pilot. This event reinforced the liability aspect.

Will send all of this stuff back if no definitive answer found.

And you are not going to get a definitive answer here unless you post the correct DAT file. You already posted one DAT file (FLY018) so you know how to retrieve them. The relevant file is FLY013.DAT, as I explained back in post #18.

Reactions: DougBlueSkies
The drone did not contact anything until it hit the grass in a falling spin.

Glad to hear this is unusual. Gives me some reassurance. Interesting that even with video footage it seems some doubt my report. All of my flight data from all of my drone use is in DJI hands.

And you are not going to get a definitive answer here unless you post the correct DAT file. You already posted one DAT file (FLY018) so you know how to retrieve them. The relevant file is FLY013.DAT, as I explained back in post #18.

Can post that file. It was a flight the day before and exceeds the upload limits. Will compress and upload if it will help or is there another way to upload?

Can post that file. It was a flight the day before and exceeds the upload limits. Will compress and upload if it will help or is there another way to upload?

Attachments

• 2019-01-25_19-48-07_FLY013.DAT
    328.9 KB · Views: 20
It was generated the 25th not the 26th.. The 18 file, I think, is the one from the crash flight. But I am new to this......... I obviously have a lot to learn and appreciate any help. When I looked at the 18 file the geolocation was at the launch site. But being a newbie..... I am likely wrong like being wrong about the file size!

Other flight logs if that might help

Attachments

• 2019-01-25_20-10-22_FLY014.DAT
    162.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2019-01-25_20-36-46_FLY016.DAT
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 2019-01-26_11-50-01_FLY018.DAT
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
When I look at them with the tools I have I see a consistent warning on the left front motor. Hope it was just a motor failure. Looks like my reply is awaiting moderator approval. Here is the Fly13 file

Attachments

• 2019-01-25_19-48-07_FLY013.DAT
    328.9 KB · Views: 10
15 dat compressed

Attachments

• 2019-01-25_20-10-53_FLY015.DAT.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 2
It was generated the 25th not the 26th.. The 18 file, I think, is the one from the crash flight. But I am new to this......... I obviously have a lot to learn and appreciate any help. When I looked at the 18 file the geolocation was at the launch site. But being a newbie..... I am likely wrong like being wrong about the file size!

Well apologies - the txt log lists FLY013.DAT as the associated file but, on inspection, FLY018.DAT is the file. Unfortunately it appears to support the hypothesis that tall grass was the culprit. At 69 seconds the right rear prop was obstructed, and the motor speed dropped from around 5000 to 200 rpm, with a large spike in the motor current. That put the aircraft into the pitch up, right roll, CCW spin. I'm afraid that looks like pilot error.

motors.png

Maybe I'm missing something but I think FLY018.DAT is the right one. That's the .DAT associated with the .txt submitted. It shows what looks like the right back getting caught or obstructed at time 68 secs. Both the barometer and ultrasonic data show the M2P being more than 3 meters above the ground.

Just saw your post @sar104

That's some mighty tall grass. I suspect it was a HW issue.
1549212768151.png

Reactions: DougBlueSkies
Well....... look at the video. Please. Look at the speed and frame clips. I assure you it was in a hover when it spun. I cannot see what I could have done to cause that event. Can go take a pic of the site. Cannot see grass flying until ground impact. I slowed the last posted tube video to frame by frame.

Maybe I'm missing something but I think FLY018.DAT is the right one. That's the .DAT associated with the .txt submitted. It shows what looks like the right back getting caught or obstructed at time 68 secs. Both the barometer and ultrasonic data show the M2P being more than 3 meters above the ground.

View attachment 61714
Thank you. My word is my bond sir.

Thanks for the apology @sar104. And thanks for the examination BudWalker. I have no reason to misrepresent the issue. I have concern about the safety of these devices.

View attachment 61714

Certainly can't rule out hardware, but it looks just like every case of motor obstruction that I've seen. How do you get a motor current spike with motor speed reduction without physical obstruction?

When I see people routinely do these drone shots and also daily deal with the consequences of machines causing injury, I want to know what happened before I put anyone other than myself at risk.

Thanks for the apology @sar104. And thanks for the examination BudWalker. I have no reason to misrepresent the issue. I have concern about the safety of these devices.

I don't think anyone believes that you are misrepresenting anything, but are you quite sure that it was well above those tall plants that are visible in the video as it crashes?

Certainly can't rule out hardware, but it looks just like every case of motor obstruction that I've seen. How do you get a motor current spike with motor speed reduction without physical obstruction?
Would you care to interview me by phone? I have another witness. Can these motors suddenly obstruct?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji