DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden MM descent into pond...

...So I say its a combination of the battery not being able to deliver enough current when abused and the abuse of the actual Mavic Mini...

Hard to find supporting evidence on your battery statement ... most of the cases have had the rear motors commanded to 100% & they have delivered 100% rpm... but that haven't been enough to maintain the tilt angle according to spec.

Another case of uncommanded descending ? The guy claimed that he has applied full throttle up but the Mini still descended :

Thanks for the replies and analysis. It looks like I was a little too keen to get flying that day - I knew it was going to be windy for the MM and saw the wind and power warnings when it was above the trees. When the warnings stopped i though it was coping with the wind but i can see that it’s possible that it was still struggling and eventually gave up. A warning to respect the conditions I think...
Winds aloft are usually far higher than at ground level and you received warnings when you ascended. So the correct decision would have been either not to fly, or to descend immediately on the first wind warning.
Pre-flight preparation, knowing your limits and those of your aircraft, and making the right go/no go decision are the key requirements of a safe pilot (no matter what aircraft). Using something like UAV Forecast and setting your personal limits would be good tool to use.
Too many fatal accidents have occurred with manned flight after the wrong go/no go decision, and, other than it’s not going to be fatal for anything other than your aircraft, the same level of decision-making is required for UAV/RPA pilots.

Reactions: BJR981S
I keep posting this, but I guess that stupid is as stupid does.

I am sorry to read about your loss. If you were running firmware v1.00.00.0400 then this was undoubtedly the problem. I had exactly the same problem that you demonstrate here. I used Assistant 2 software to downgrade my Controller and Aircraft to v1.00.00.0300 the previous version of firmware and I have not seen a trace of the problem since. It has nothing to do with not calibrating IMU, Compass, etc., but rather DJI failing to test their firmware across all versions of hardware.

I rest my case. I recommend anyone else with this problem to downgrade their firmware otherwise you will be very sorry. Ignore at your cost!

Winds aloft are usually far higher than at ground level and you received warnings when you ascended. So the correct decision would have been either not to fly, or to descend immediately on the first wind warning.
Pre-flight preparation, knowing your limits and those of your aircraft, and making the right go/no go decision are the key requirements of a safe pilot (no matter what aircraft). Using something like UAV Forecast and setting your personal limits would be good tool to use.
Too many fatal accidents have occurred with manned flight after the wrong go/no go decision, and, other than it’s not going to be fatal for anything other than your aircraft, the same level of decision-making is required for UAV/RPA pilots.
I completely agree with your analysis - as a Private Pilot with over 700 hours as Pilot in Command you would think that I would be pretty comfortable with making go/no-go decisions - I've made a few in my time! This one was a lesson in the parameters that need to be set before flying a MM rather than an aircraft.. losing a MM is not really on the same scale so the boundaries are different but all poor decisions have potential consequences

Reactions: ajkm
I completely agree with your analysis - as a Private Pilot with over 700 hours as Pilot in Command you would think that I would be pretty comfortable with making go/no-go decisions - I've made a few in my time! This one was a lesson in the parameters that need to be set before flying a MM rather than an aircraft.. losing a MM is not really on the same scale so the boundaries are different but all poor decisions have potential consequences
That’s also where I’m coming from...

I keep posting this, but I guess that stupid is as stupid does.

I am sorry to read about your loss. If you were running firmware v1.00.00.0400 then this was undoubtedly the problem. I had exactly the same problem that you demonstrate here. I used Assistant 2 software to downgrade my Controller and Aircraft to v1.00.00.0300 the previous version of firmware and I have not seen a trace of the problem since. It has nothing to do with not calibrating IMU, Compass, etc., but rather DJI failing to test their firmware across all versions of hardware.

I rest my case. I recommend anyone else with this problem to downgrade their firmware otherwise you will be very sorry. Ignore at your cost!

Just to confirm, do you own multiple batteries? And if so, did you upgrade the firmware of all the batteries as well?

The reason I am asking is, I noticed when you update the firmware of the MM, it will also update the firmware of the current battery installed. If you then use another (not yet updated) battery, the message to update is easily missed, I found.

Reading all this I just checked my MM props and they flex a lot more than my Anafi props which are pretty stiff wonder if I can fit the Anafi props on the MM? I fly a lot over water but usually start low skim the water then rise and come home. have posted a two video's on an other thread if any one is curios.

Hard to find supporting evidence on your battery statement ... most of the cases have had the rear motors commanded to 100% & they have delivered 100% rpm... but that haven't been enough to maintain the tilt angle according to spec.

In that case, for sure props need more pitch, or drone needs more power overall..

Sweet

This also explains why I've never had an issue, my props are just good ones I guess..

?

Although I'm willing to almost bet that there must also be some firmware for fixing still..

Reading all this I just checked my MM props and they flex a lot more than my Anafi props which are pretty stiff wonder if I can fit the Anafi props on the MM? I fly a lot over water but usually start low skim the water then rise and come home. have posted a two video's on an other thread if any one is curios.
Hmm ... looks to create a lot of vibrations.

Look from 1.05min. Anafi props on the left ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147