DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[SUGGESTIONS] Maiden Flight & First Video

monxster

Reactions
Hey guys,

Took out my drone a few days ago on its very first flight and managed to film some video which I edited directly on the DJI GO 4 app. Here it is:

This is my first drone and my first attempt at filming things so I was hoping you experts could give me some tips on how to improve. Any techniques I should be using? Drone settings? Also the image does not seem as sharp as I would have expected with 4k is there a reason for this? All shots were manually filmed with no intelligent flight modes used.

My drone is on the latest software .500

Thanks!

I was ready to cringe but WOW that was pretty amazing other than the abrupt ending of the music and semi-sloppy POI pans it is near perfect! The footage on YT is 1080P did you shoot 10 bit DLOG?

Reactions: monxster
Great job. I wish my first ones were as good. My suggestion is to keep doing more like this.

Thank you guys that is very kind! I saved up for ages to get this drone so had plenty of time to read the manual, and how to fly it, etc beforehand and so far I am super happy with it. Still plenty of room for improvement though I reckon.

I was ready to cringe but WOW that was pretty amazing other than the abrupt ending of the music and semi-sloppy POI pans it is near perfect! The footage on YT is 1080P did you shoot 10 bit DLOG?

Do you know if I can fade the music out on the app? Also I did notice the jerkiness in the side panning or when I am rotating around an obstacle. Is there a particular reason for this? I was being super gentle on the controller sticks how can you smooth that out? As for my recording I selected 4k 30fps but I am not sure if DJI Go App shows that because that is what I uploaded to YouTube.

Is there a better way of editing the videos?

Reactions: Former Member
There are a ton of video editing solutions depending on if you’re a PC, MAC, or like me an IOS guy. I use iMovie on the iPad. Just do a search on this forum for “video editing” and you will get a ton of ideas.

Did you try Tripod mode or cinematic mode (if you have those)? Or you could adjust the yaw settings to make it less sensitive.

There are a ton of video editing solutions depending on if you’re a PC, MAC, or like me an IOS guy. I use iMovie on the iPad. Just do a search on this forum for “video editing” and you will get a ton of ideas.

Thanks mate. I am windows based but I see lots of people talking about Premiere Pro or After Effects and not only are they super expensive they seem very mega complicated to me. Will have a search.

Did you try Tripod mode or cinematic mode (if you have those)? Or you could adjust the yaw settings to make it less sensitive.

I did not try any of those things just used the sticks to steer. Was planning on taking the Mavic to an open field this weekend and trying to figure out all the different modes and how they work.

@monxster nice job all right . . . I recognise the music, one of my first flights I used that, and a few since.

I haven't got into editing properly yet, but I use iMovie for simple cut and fade etc, then only use DJI Go4 editor for adding their stock music.
DJI music is ok for beginners like me (and you too I guess), but finding the right length clips, or adjusting your footage to suit, or having music that loops isn't a terribly good thing to work with.

I'd like to just edit on iPad mini 4 for when I'm travelling, but recognise its limits with it and higher that 1080 that I usually shoot in.
I haven't bothered trying to find the right editor for me yet, but have heard good things about some here on the forum.

Again, good job on first flight (??!!) with the Mavic both flying and filming, and best thing is you managed to fly your Mavic back to you safely :)

Oh, wanted to ask, who put the DJI Mavic watermark thing in the bottom right corner ??
I've never seen that, but don't use anything other than DJI editor for the music adding.

Is it automatic in the app or did you put it there ?

Oh, wanted to ask, who put the DJI Mavic watermark thing in the bottom right corner ??
I've never seen that, but don't use anything other than DJI editor for the music adding.

Is it automatic in the app or did you put it there ?
The logo in the bottom right appeared automatically when I edited the video in the DJI app. FYI I am on the Android version maybe that is why.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The logo in the bottom right appeared automatically when I edited the video in the DJI app. FYI I am on the Android version maybe that is why.

Ta mate, interesting, and I would think it might be in apple stuff too.
Maybe it's because I do other more major editing in iMovie first, OR possibly it's been in a recent update and I haven't edited a video since that . . . shame I have been so busy the past months it's been a while since doing a drone video, or even flying as much as I would like.

Speaking as an Apple/ Mac user for 42years: It’s not in Apple editors, except in metadata, just like most editing apps of any genre. I think DJI is just looking for cheap advertising.

I think DJI is just looking for cheap advertising.

A bit cheeky if so !!

Will check mine when I get back near it, left in Brisbane 2200km away while home for some work here, be back there in a few weeks.
I will try the usual thing I do, iMovie > DJI to add music . . . then try a full edit on DJI Editor, see if that comes up in either.

Reactions: Thomas B
A bit cheeky if so !!

Will check mine when I get back near it, left in Brisbane 2200km away while home for some work here, be back there in a few weeks.
I will try the usual thing I do, iMovie > DJI to add music . . . then try a full edit on DJI Editor, see if that comes up in either.
That would be the proof of the pudding for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22