DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Sunrise over the Statue of Liberty

Great work in capturing and editing!!

(I can't believe I'm saying this...) Why only in 1080p? That video could have been WOW in a higher resolution. Everything I shoot is in 1080p but I'm not shooting anything remotely as amazing as what you've created here.

(I can't believe I'm saying this...) Why only in 1080p? That video could have been WOW in a higher resolution. Everything I shoot is in 1080p but I'm not shooting anything remotely as amazing as what you've created here.
What do you shoot and why in 1080p if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac

Yeah, sad story. I had planned to shoot in 5K. But forgot to change from 4K to 5K before flight. I had my preflight checklist, but did not have that on it.

A lot of the shots in the video are cropped down from 4K to 1080. It looks like I was a lot closer than what I was. But because of the cropping it is only 1080 resolution.

I learned a lot on this shoot. Ready to go back.

What do you shoot and why in 1080p if you don't mind my asking?

I've shot for Disney, The Travel Channel and others and even those clients stated "Don't shoot in 4K. We are editing in the field and this isn't a where we need/want 4K". But the vast majority of my "work" is Real Estate, Construction, and Emergency Services. None of these justify the storage, processing power, and time needed for 4K when the client can only use 1080p at the most.

Other than playing around I have never shot anything in 4K but like I mentioned nothing I have shot is even remotely 4K (or higher) worthy).

I've shot for Disney, The Travel Channel and others and even those clients stated "Don't shoot in 4K. We are editing in the field and this isn't a where we need/want 4K". But the vast majority of my "work" is Real Estate, Construction, and Emergency Services. None of these justify the storage, processing power, and time needed for 4K when the client can only use 1080p at the most.

Other than playing around I have never shot anything in 4K but like I mentioned nothing I have shot is even remotely 4K (or higher) worthy).
Makes sense. So other than for work, you don't do any drone footage just for the enjoyment of it?

Yeah, sad story. I had planned to shoot in 5K. But forgot to change from 4K to 5K before flight. I had my preflight checklist, but did not have that on it.

A lot of the shots in the video are cropped down from 4K to 1080. It looks like I was a lot closer than what I was. But because of the cropping it is only 1080 resolution.

I learned a lot on this shoot. Ready to go back.

So did YT downsample it to 4K? When I played it the highest res option on the list was 1080p. I'd love to watch it in 4K (even 2K) if possible :)

Makes sense. So other than for work, you don't do any drone footage just for the enjoyment of it?

Not really. I fly for fun but I don't "do photography" for fun. Fun flying is FPV or flying helis or airplanes.

Wow, the video was stunning. The parallax of the statue with the NYC skyline in the background is just sooooo cool! How were you able to fly there? I'm surprised that's not a restricted zone.

Not really. I fly for fun but I don't "do photography" for fun. Fun flying is FPV or flying helis or airplanes.
Ahhh, ok. Makes sense.

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
It's a nice video with some gorgeous shots but I was actually expecting to see the sunrise OVER the statue, as in the title, maybe out of her torch or head, so somewhat disappointed.

So did YT downsample it to 4K? When I played it the highest res option on the list was 1080p. I'd love to watch it in 4K (even 2K) if possible :)
Here you go. I uploaded a new 4k video to YouTube. There are a few shots that will only show 1080p because of cropping. I edited the original post so it shows the new video.

Wow, the video was stunning. The parallax of the statue with the NYC skyline in the background is just sooooo cool! How were you able to fly there? I'm surprised that's not a restricted zone.
Thanks! Took off from Jersey outside of Liberty State Park. It is just outside Newark’s controlled airspace. You can’t fly over the Liberty Island because it is a National Park and it is geofenced by DJI. I probably could have got closer, but kept my distance. You need to be careful here because there are low flying helicopters giving tours. But they are not usually flying this early in the morning. I would not fly here later in the day.

I like that a lot! Very nice. Sunrise + Ms. Liberty + skyline = spectacular. Good tunes to go with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78