DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Survey. Check to see if your RID actually is transmitting. Install the Drone Scanner App, Fly your drone, then see if the App sees it. Thanks

I get zip, as well. Maybe because its not "active" yet its not actually transmitting like its supposed to? I dont know... Good thread, though. Ill be watching this.

Intersting. I wonder how far rid transmits. Is it a wifi transmission. If so, will a simple phone pick up the RID device or do you need a special amplified reciever?
According to this interview with an FAA representative, the broadcast distance of RID varies, but isn't nearly as far as I had imagined. I figured it was visible from anywhere, but this video , starting at 27:08 discusses the distance as being very localized i.e. within VLOS range.

Last edited:
Intersting. I wonder how far rid transmits. Is it a wifi transmission. If so, will a simple phone pick up the RID device or do you need a special amplified reciever?

Already did some testing on a Mavic 3 with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 sitting on a table with line of sight of the flying area with both DroneScanner and Opendrone ID and my detection record is 3.5Km, but that could be easily busted with both a dedicated receiver and a better receiver location (higher location with unobstructed view).

RID is not a constant data flow between two devices, are only packages emitted for anyone to pick, so they can be picked up from further distances than video feed. My M3 working in FCC mode flying in unobstructed line of sight can transmit video up to 9Km at least (had to return due to battery) so with a dedicated receiver and a good antenna expect at least that RID range or more.

3.5KM_DETECTION.jpg

Flight path tracking is also quite good on the DroneScanner app despite the fact that the tablet I'm using isn't picking packages as fast as a dedicated receiver, and in the end, you only need to pick one package to discover the pilot's location and confront him/rob him/assault him or whatever reason you are using this app for.

If this was for cars, everybody would go nuts, but nobody seems to care of their expensive camera equipment emitting at 3.5Km+ their location.

Last edited:
@DARKSeifer Thanks for the report, as disturbing as it is. If one were to believe ( I didn't) the government talking head in the video I posted above, it would seem the risk of data interception would be minimal, which doesn't seem to be the case. In keeping with the OP's wishes, I'll leave it there, but thanks for the enlightening information.

Reactions: DARKSeifer
Several months after this thread was started and last posted to…I can not find a single RID app for IOS. At least nothing in English, there are some in oriental languages, and one or two that look pretty sketchy, but nothing mentioned in this thread is currently available. I popped in here because I’d like to “see what they see” about my drone.

Reactions: Torque
I did some experimentation using my Air 2S. The bottom line is that Drone Scanner never saw the Air 2s BUT the RID briefly showed up on the Wifi listing of my iPhone 12. Additionally, the RID showed up on the Wifi list of my DJI RC Pro consistently. This leads me to believe that the Air 2S is broadcasting RID but Drone Scanner on the Air 2S cannot see it. I cannot test Drone Scanner on the DJI RC Pro since the Google Play Store is not available to that controller. The Amazon Play Store is available but doesn't have the Drone Scanner app.

Because RID uses the wifi Beacon protocol, a typically configured smartphone wifi configuration will struggle to reliably capture RID packets. Not impossible, just difficult.

I predict it will be a long time before there is even one incident of an adverse incident to a pilot by another private citizen who found them with RID. Maybe years.

Reactions: Torque
Because RID uses the wifi Beacon protocol, a typically configured smartphone wifi configuration will struggle to reliably capture RID packets. Not impossible, just difficult.

I predict it will be a long time before there is even one incident of an adverse incident to a pilot by another private citizen who found them with RID. Maybe years.
It seems to be the case that Android phones work well with the RID apps but iPhones do not. That is somewhat borne out by my experiment.

Try the Dronetag IOS app- works with my BS tag very well - I don’t go beyond VLOS so it’s pretty good for that on my iPhone. If you have cellular and set the app to “public”- it also posts your information via Network Remote ID (NRI) - a online network for anyone else to see worldwide- watching this one right now :
IMG_1471.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mavictk

Posts #47 and #49 - Ken Heron claims RID is cancelled - For Now...

Last edited:
Try the Dronetag IOS app- works with my BS tag very well - I don’t go beyond VLOS so it’s pretty good for that on my iPhone. If you have cellular and set the app to “public”- it also posts your information via Network Remote ID (NRI) - a online network for anyone else to see worldwide- watching this one right now :
View attachment 167768
I have downloaded the app and will test it on my iPhone. Thanks.

I tested today.

Phone
CAT 62 Pro - Android

App
Drone Scanner

Drone
DJI Matrice 300 RTK

My results were good. The drone and the RPIC were shown correctly on the map. I did not check too deeply into the telemetry data though. I did notice a bit of latency on updating the drone's position. So I guess our M300 is good to go and ready for the upcoming date.

tested drone scanner and opendroneid app,on iphone and android phone,both mini3pro and fimix8pro broadcasting id yet apps are not seeing any of my drones 😳

so,two drones(mini3pro,fimix8pro)supposedly broadcasting id and 3 different id scanner apps not ”seeing”anything”…..weird

I’m flying the original Dji Mini with a Blue Mark Db-120 RID module. The Drone scanner shows limited information, Altitude AGL, attitude assending, decending, or grounded. Aircraft name, (personal name given by owner operator). Also a pictorial location on map. Distance away. At one time it showed my Rid serial #. All values are in meters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada