DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surveying UK village development and changing landscape

Andrex

Reactions
The village where I live in Shropshire in the UK is undergoing some notable development, with a new housing estate being built. I'd like to fly the drone over the new development, some of which have recently had people move in, to capture a series of nadir photos (a few hundred) to stitch together for an orthomosaic photo.

This would then be overlaid in GIS on the Google Earth imagery, as Google understandably hasn't yet captured the new development. For the parish council meeting I'd like to be able to annotate this new map with comments about future development in the village, so I could really do with being able to capture the data. I don't have time to wait for Google Earth to update as some of these points need to be made / illustrated sooner.

I don't yet have a permission for commercial operation, so this is planned purely as a local community activity.

Can I legally do this? Village has maybe 250 houses total. Can I fly at a higher ceiling (100 m, for example) to be well over 50 m above private property, to capture an updated map image? I could do it at 120 m to make it even quicker. The drone code says for private properties you have to keep 50 m away in all directions (including above) but 150 m away from a built up area. The latter would prevent this flight if the village was defined as a built-up area.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura