DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swap the MP for the Mavic Air?

You have a much greater body of knowledge here and in general with the Mavic Pro and Platinum. That in itself will be of great importance when learning about the drone capabilities.

With the Mavic Air you will need to figure things out that may not have already been done by people . Just like with any new technology you wont know what the shortcomings are until they are discovered. They have already been discovered with the Mavic Pro.

I know how price point can be an influencing factor in the purchase. What you could do to minimize its impact on the decision is to shop for a better price. Recent postings indicate Costco has a great deal at $799.00 for the Mavic Pro. You could return the unopened Mavic that you purchased and then find someone with a Costco card and pick one up there. That might save you some coin.

Or just go to Best Buy, they price match, including Costco! Just ask!

I watched a few videos and while I have never seen this reviewer before I thought this review was well laid out in a variety of aspects. Made it very easy to visualize the differences he pointed out:

Heck no! While its nice the mpp is awesome and the form factor is perfect for throwing into mycamelback. I gotta think the air would struggle a lot more in the wind which i get a lot of where i live Now if they come out with a 1" sensor in the mp2 well that may cause some marrital distress!

keep in mind that any reviews published by those youtubers may be biased. These guys have received these units free of charge from DJI an they would likely want to continue receiving new drones from DJI...

Reactions: coop64
keep in mind that any reviews published by those youtubers may be biased. These guys have received these units free of charge from DJI an they would likely want to continue receiving new drones from DJI...

Very true. I do reviews on my channels TechGooch and GeekSmart, but I try to be as unbiased as possible. However, I can see your point on trying to keep on the “good list” so you get more products in the future.

The funny part, I have received products before for testing, blasted them in my review, and I still get products from that company. So I find honesty to be the best tool, and my viewers are more important than those that send products to me.

I also refuse to do a review on a product right when I receive it, I have to use the product for days or weeks prior to my review.

Good point though!

YouTube is the best thing happen to marketing. For a mere million dollar budget DJI can easily handout new drones to even the very unknown youtubers in the world compare that to print or tv ads. No wonder there are so many people reviewing junk on Amazon and YouTube and everything gets a 5 Star rating.

A deal killer for me is no display on the Remote Controller. A must have for me is have the flight telemetry on the controller. Just this weekend I was high up in the Sierra Nevada mountains flying and my tablet shut down. While my MP was only ~600ft away it was behind some trees and could not see it and did not know it’s orientation relative to HP. What saved me was the distance counter displayed on the RC as I was able to yaw and move forward until the distance decreased and recovered my MP. Looks like you don’t have that capability with the MA and may not be important to you but something to thing about.
I saw that too and thought, “ what a poor decision to cut the screen to save a few bucks, if that”. Poor, poor decision on DJIs part.

Reactions: Mtb Uas
I saw that too and thought, “ what a poor decision to cut the screen to save a few bucks, if that”. Poor, poor decision on DJIs part.

I think it’s crazy how people are like, well my Phantom didn’t have a screen in the remote and I was fine.. Every non toy quad I have built or bought, and flown has had a screen with telemetry built into the remote. It is important to have in my opinion. You just can’t rely on apps. I really think they messed up by not including one on an 800 dollar machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtb Uas
Just ask, Best Buy has matched bundles for me before. It never hurts to ask!
However one other point to Costco.. and believe me I am considering having Best Buy match so I can keep my elite and earn points.. is Costco gives a full 90 days to return it.. Best buy is 15 or 30 if elite and I didnt look for elite plus.. but that is a significant difference in and of itself.

However one other point to Costco.. and believe me I am considering having Best Buy match so I can keep my elite and earn points.. is Costco gives a full 90 days to return it.. Best buy is 15 or 30 if elite and I didnt look for elite plus.. but that is a significant difference in and of itself.

That is a valid point. 45 days for the elite plus members. I don’t have a Costco near me, but Best Buy still matches so for some of us it is what it is.

Best Buy has a 15% restocking fee on drones, even if you're Elite Plus. Just an FYI.

That is a valid point. 45 days for the elite plus members. I don’t have a Costco near me, but Best Buy still matches so for some of us it is what it is.
Yeah that no fun ours just opened a few months back otherwise was about 100 miles away. I prefer Best Buy but the restock is not fun.

My $3,000+ Inspire 2 only has 4 or 5 LEDS on the controller which indicate the RC battery strength...just saying.
@Anthony Viscomi ,out of interest, how would you recover your Inspire with no controller telemetry if you encountered a situation similar to the experience I described above in this thread? I’m always open learning new ideas to survive adverse scenarios.

Free shipping, no excuses

357F69D8-4F32-4AAD-8EAA-5AD3A77A70B9.png

Hello there,

So now that the MP arrived just last week and is still in its box, should I swap for the MA?

I'll be using it to start off a photo/video business (an Inspire down the road when I can afford it).

There is a 285 US dollar difference.

Thank you!
Same price I just grabbed a Mavic Pro for $799 at Costco

Mavic air is awesome!! Unfortunately it's 1st gen and for me the advertised 20 minute flight time means it's probably around 15 to 18 minutes. I guess that isn't too bad but my spark with 15 minutes of flight time does the job. Of course my Platinum pro with 25+ minutes tops the cake.

Don't even get me started with the plain controller. Seems like a downgrade. Nothing special about the removeable sticks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer