DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swap the MP for the Mavic Air?

The reason that I bought a Mavic Air is for portability. It will not be the first drone that I go to most of the time. That would be a P4P+ or Mavic Pro if the winds allow. I live next to a square mile of open space with a river running through the middle. The Mavic Pro was originally purchased to be taken on a motorcycle but the Air will now fill that role, as well as being taken on hikes and bike rides. I now wonder if the Mavic Pro2 will be a replacement for the Phantom series. This would make some sense since the only way that the Phantoms can be improved is with a better camera, larger battery improved flight controls and retractable landing gears. Some of these changes would require a new airframe and controller. Most of this comes with a greater expense and that would start getting it close to the Inspire cost range.

Reactions: kozjegyzo
Rear sensors and fly around obstacles are “nice to have” but if u pay attention...
The two deal-breakers for me are the controller’s lack of a screen and, more importantly to me, shorter flight time.
I’m sticking with my MP.

Reactions: MAVA4
Hello there,

So now that the MP arrived just last week and is still in its box, should I swap for the MA?

I'll be using it to start off a photo/video business (an Inspire down the road when I can afford it).

There is a 285 US dollar difference.

Thank you!
No.

The lack of telemetry on the controller is not an issue, I get all I need from my iPad Mini and find no need for the screen on my MP remote. For me it’s the size, smaller doesn’t always equate to better. The MP is the right size, anything lighter and smaller is gong to be difficult to fly even with modest wind speed. Improvements on the current form factor is what I’m seeking however no hurry, it serves me well just as it is for now.

At 54 my brain is beginning to get to old to handle a new drone and new technology every 6 months :D

I'm sticking with the Mavic Pro at least thru the summer
--> no, no - your are not or would not be to old...what is 54? (I am 50...)

Hello there,

So now that the MP arrived just last week and is still in its box, should I swap for the MA?

I'll be using it to start off a photo/video business (an Inspire down the road when I can afford it).

There is a 285 US dollar difference.

Thank you!
You have a mav Pro I think ditching it to buy a mav Air would be a step backwards. Mav Air is a downgrade,not the other way around.

But Costco bundle includes mavic bag and propeller guards roughly $100 value! For $799 it is a really good deal.
One would outgrow that bag that comes with the costco bundle in a matter of days. Not to mention the Mavic is very tight fitting in the bag. I dumped my bag for a more practical case.

I would be concerned with the MA flight distance being 2.5 miles or so that you’d possibly begin losing signal at 1-1.5 miles, depending on the environment you were flying in. That would weigh heavily on my decision. I think one of the reviews made reference to this point.
If i am not mistaken, FAA rules and regulations, IN THE US requires everyone to keep there drone in line of sight. So who cares if you can fly 2.5 miles with the MA or 4.3 miles with the MP.
Just a thought.

If i am not mistaken, FAA rules and regulations, IN THE US requires everyone to keep there drone in line of sight. So who cares if you can fly 2.5 miles with the MA or 4.3 miles with the MP.
Just a thought.

That’s not the point. People want a drone that will have the best HD signal. I previously had a phantom 3SE. It boasted 2.5 miles. Couldn’t even touch close to one mile. It would say weak signal at 2000 feet. I fly my mavic from the same spot and it has perfect signal as far as I would ever want and a lot more. I don’t trust a WiFi signal like the spark. I’m sure the mavic Air is the same. Why trade down? Especially when the mavic 2 is coming out? I can see if you want a selfie drone. Or you don’t already have a mavic pro. But it seems a little silly to throw another $800 and then more for spare batteries and such for another drone that has less range and a lot less flight time. Unless you don’t already have a mavic. But even then. You can still get a mavic pro brand new for the same price as the air. So I don’t understand why anyone would want one. But her that’s just me.

Last edited:
I agree. I guess you could also look at the fact with he shorter flight time that it doesn’t need the longer range, but I would always prefer a stronger signal, even if it was only 1/2 mile away

The air is not enough of an upgrade for me to consider ditching it. Maybe when the new mavic comes out it will be a different story.

I just bought my Mavic Pro before Xmas, and it arrived early January. I kinda expected and was dreading this announcement...
I'm a pro photographer and videographer so camera performance is key to me.
Here are my thoughts:
Pros for MP vs. MA
  • There"s a reason why the name has "Pro" in it and "Air" in the other, it kinda tells it all
  • While the MA has a better camera in the bit rate department the sensor is the same as the MP
  • Many people like fixed focus because it's "less hassle", but if you are serious about photo and film, you absolutely wanna be able to pull focus, it makes a world of difference in the appearance of your footage
  • I don't trust wifi on a drone, especially if you fly near houses that have wifi. Even if it's on an other frequency sometimes it gets close and bleeds through, I don't wanna have a flyaway because someone jacked overclocked their home wifi. Yeah I have a router that's set up like that, and it creates a whole lot of "noise".
  • The range... Well you have to note that DJI will tell you a number that they get with ideal conditions, and no obstacles in the way. As soon as you have trees in the mix, especially if they have wet leaves, wifi signals (or any radio signals for that matter) will deteriorate significantly. Also you have to take in consideration the before mentioned radio noise and the sometimes high KP index. So having an overkill signal of 7 km with the MP gives me a peace of mind, knowing that I won't loose connection.
  • The controller or the MA is unfortunately lacking. The screen is one thing, but the lack of the shutter dial, and the programmable C buttons is a deal breaker for me as a photographer. I have the "Gimbal down/forward" set to one, that's essential if wanna look below you fast, to see obstacles. the other is set to center auto focus.
  • MP had many production cycles by now and most of the kinks are hammered out. The MA is a first gen product
Pros for MA vs. MP
  • 100 Mbit at 4k is really nice to have over 60 Mbit and it does make a difference
  • Rear obstacle avoidance is awesome to have and will make you more confident to fly backwards. Note that it can also give you false confidence, as we all know this tech doesn't always work as advertised
  • Better forward obstacle avoidance, as with the rear, this is nice to have too
  • Size matters, the MA is the perfect size imo
The software features I won't put anywhere, because I'm betting that the MP will get all the MA gesture, and fight mode features eventually, at least those that are not hardware reliant.

So in conclusion if had waited an other month with my DJI purchase, I would probably have big dilemma which to buy.... Having bought the Mavic Pro Alpine combo, I'm pretty happy still with my purchase. There's a €200 difference only for me here in the EU if I compare the same packages. That's not that significant in this price range. There was a thought in my mind also to sell my barely used MP and get a MA, but I see it as a downgrade in essential areas.

Well thought out statement. I’m not pro photographer. But I love my mavic. I didn’t know it doesn’t have shut shutter dial. That’s huge. I’m using mine all day along with the gimbal dial and the C buttons as well. I use one for center A/F. And the other for flipping screens between map and cam. I’d hate to have to do all those things from my phone or tab. I have my tab in a sunshade and trying to get my hands on it is a pain mid flight. I said the same about WiFi. Although DJI definitely does a great job on thier UAVs. I’m sure the signal is pretty strong and works well. I’m happy with my mavic for the most part. I wouldn’t trade it for a MA.

Reactions: kozjegyzo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian