DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet for Mavic Air

larryc43230

Reactions
I know this topic has been beaten to death (I've done searches on the subject and read a few dozen threads), but I'm still confused when it comes to buying a tablet for my new Mavic Air. I'm currently using my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone (the one I also use to make phone calls with), and it seems too small for these aging eyes of mine.

Most of the posts on most of the threads here are old enough that they refer to, and recommend, tablets that are no longer available (I blame that on the manufacturers, who introduce new models so rapidly it can make your head spin trying to keep up). It seems that whenever I read a sterling recommendation for a tablet, that tablet was superseded by something else months ago.

I would strongly prefer to go the Android route and not the i-something (Apple) route. I like the look of the Amazon Fire HD tablets, but, at least based on some previous posts, they won't run DJI GO 4 without some serious "hacking" that I don't want to get involved with. I also expect to get a table mount holder to hold a tablet.

I'm looking for an Android tablet, hopefully not too expensive, that will be usable with the Android Air out-of-the-box (not counting installing DJI GO 4). Is there such a beast out there?

Larry

P.S. I've read, and studied, the Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) page. That list includes a good number of discontinued phones and tablets, which I find really confusing. I'm hoping for recommendations as to a good tablet that I can buy new from somewhere like Amazon.

Reactions: aleadam
You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

There are many good Android devices to choose from on that list.

I just edited my post to mention that I've already gone through that list. Pretty much every thread asking about tablets includes a post recommending that list, and I tried finding a tablet there before posting. 75% of the Android models in that list have been superseded by some other model, and I don't know enough about phones and tablets to know for sure whether some replacement model will still do what I need it to do. I'm hoping for specific recommendations for an Android tablet that can still be purchased new.

Larry

yah, not sure the list is that helpful. wish the list had a column for if it fits in a controller.

wish the list had a column for if it fits in a controller.
All of the needed measurements are on or below that list. Feel free to ask if you need help figuring out what will fit your remote controller.

Reactions: psloan
Referring to that list of compatible phones and tablets at Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help, the description at the top of the page mentions that "The following list includes devices supported by DJI (marked with ●)." Can anyone point me to a page on the DJI Web site that lists supported devices? Maybe that page is kept more up to date than the one everyone refers to here.

Larry

Can anyone point me to a page on the DJI Web site that lists supported devices? Maybe that page is kept more up to date than the one everyone refers to here.
It's not more up to date, but you can find that list here under the "APP / LIVE VIEW" heading.

Thanks, msinger. I guess that's the best we'll get from DJI itself, and it isn't very extensive and isn't up to date.

Larry
To be honest, if you want a no hassle tablet that you can buy new from Amazon or Best Buy, the Apple iPad Mini 4 might be your best best. May be out of your budget range, though.

If you are on a tight budget and want Android, a good condition used tablet will be great. A lot of people buy tablets and never end up using them, so there are a lot of really good used ones out there.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still hoping for specific recommendations from drone flyers with actual experience with an Android tablet that I can buy new. It seems strange that there seem to be so few out there.

Now I'll ask a specific question about a couple of tablets that are on that "Best tablets and phones" list, that are still being sold new. Any comments concerning the following two tablets that are available new from Amazon?

Lenovo Tab 4, 8" Android Tablet

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7"

I like Samsung products, my last three cell phones have been Samsung models and my current phone is a Galaxy S8. On the other hand, the Lenovo Tab 4 is tempting simply due to the price (as long as it can run DJI GO 4 and help me fly a Mavic Air).

Any comments, suggestions, or recommendations regarding these two Tablets?

Larry

Any comments, suggestions, or recommendations regarding these two Tablets?

Larry

I like android phones as well, but decided after some research to get an ipad 4 to fly my mavic air. Screen is beautiful and very brght.
That said, if you still want an android tablet, any decent new tablet should work.
Re: those two specific tablets, please do a search on the forum for each tablet and you'll find many comments about them from actual users. I did a quick search for the Lenovo tablet you mentioned and it seems that people are quite happy with it. I only skimmed thorough the search results and I did not readh those posts in detail, though.

@msinger: thank you for keeping this list. It's extremely helpful for all of us just getting a drone for the first time. I would echo the request to separate those tablets still in production from the older models. That would really help most newbies like myself.

Alex

I would echo the request to separate those tablets still in production from the older models. That would really help most newbies like myself.
I'm not sure which tablets are still in production (it's a lot to keep up with). I just updated my list to show the release date beside the device name (see below).

Tablets.jpg

Reactions: aleadam
I like android phones as well, but decided after some research to get an ipad 4 to fly my mavic air. Screen is beautiful and very brght.

Alex

Alex,
How does it perform in the bright sun?
TIA

I know this topic has been beaten to death.
You are correct. (I THINK) it’s because there’s no absolute answer. Everyone has their own expectations combined with budgets and confused by technology that changes hourly.
Your device is as important as your controller, and most of us don’t realize the demand we are putting on our device. With each evaluation of software the demand on the device increases making yesterday’s King obsolete. So you may not want to skimp here.
Personally, I’ve used/tested about every generation iPad & iPhone sense iOS 9. A year ago iPad Mini 4 was good (in the shade) today it can’t maintain video link (over heat) iPhone 6 same, iPhone 7 almost but has lag, iPhone 8+ is rock solid (in shade) but to small for old eyes. iPad Pro 12.9 2017 works very well, but way to large and still useless in the sun. I’m currently using a CrystalSky 7.85 High Brightness it’s almost there but I’m sure I would have been happier with the Ultra.
All this to say, get as close to top of the line as your budget allows, knowing it’s not as good as you would like and it will need to be replaced very soon. Wife says it would be cheaper if I used $100 bills for TP.
Good Luck with your QUEST...

Oops, OLDheimers moment.
Most importantly whatever you end up with. Do your homework and learn how to optimize your device for best performance. It makes a huge difference. And NEVER fly with a cover/case on your device.

Reactions: larryc43230
I know this topic has been beaten to death (I've done searches on the subject and read a few dozen threads), but I'm still confused when it comes to buying a tablet for my new Mavic Air. I'm currently using my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone (the one I also use to make phone calls with), and it seems too small for these aging eyes of mine.

Most of the posts on most of the threads here are old enough that they refer to, and recommend, tablets that are no longer available (I blame that on the manufacturers, who introduce new models so rapidly it can make your head spin trying to keep up). It seems that whenever I read a sterling recommendation for a tablet, that tablet was superseded by something else months ago.

I would strongly prefer to go the Android route and not the i-something (Apple) route. I like the look of the Amazon Fire HD tablets, but, at least based on some previous posts, they won't run DJI GO 4 without some serious "hacking" that I don't want to get involved with. I also expect to get a table mount holder to hold a tablet.

I'm looking for an Android tablet, hopefully not too expensive, that will be usable with the Android Air out-of-the-box (not counting installing DJI GO 4). Is there such a beast out there?

Larry

P.S. I've read, and studied, the Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) page. That list includes a good number of discontinued phones and tablets, which I find really confusing. I'm hoping for recommendations as to a good tablet that I can buy new from somewhere like Amazon.

Good question. I, too, am an Android fan, although I do use the iPad Air 2 my daughter bought me. I purchased a SAMSUNG TAB A 32 GB 8” for dedicated droning. See AMAZON.COM link: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Wifi-Tablet-Silver/dp/B075VS89SW
This Tab is dedicated to the Mavic Air and believe it or not it fits in the controller without any additional stepper holders. It is a snug fit but it stays, I use an OTG with standard USB (for the bottom slot in the middle) and other end, of course is usb c. It is strictly WiFi so I use my Samsung Note 8 as the internet connector via Bluetooth. It works absolutely great, except of course where there is no www connection at all. The Tab is 8 inch and provides excellent viewing. The Tab is loaded minimalisticly as it is only for droning. The phone handles all else on connection if needed. The Tab A was my choice for vision assist when droning. I love the choice I made. If I were IOS oriented, I would most likely go the iPad mini route, but not familiar with that. The Tab A is the newest on the market. It is the 2017 model, which was released in the US in March or April of 2018. Yes, I am biased on Android as well.

Jeffrey

PS, should you decide to go the IOS route, I am very sure you would be able to Bluetooth to your phone for internet as well. Maybe someone more versed in IOS could verify

Jeffrey

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes