DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take Drone On Plane

heo3480

Reactions
Its holiday season and one of the most asked questions how to travel on commercial airlines with your drone. This video share crucial tips for you to get your drone through airport security as easy as possible.

What is your experience?

--

Took MP on a plane on a few domestic flights and on a trip to Israel. Never had an issue. Got flagged during TSA check once, so they have manually checked my bags, looked at the drone, and had zero problems with that.

Reactions: heo3480
Went to Italy in May with MP in carry on bckpack with batteries in a lipo bag. Got it all out so it was visible and was never asked about it or had a problem.

Went to Cape Verde a few weeks ago on a TUI flight .... had a rucksack with drone, controller and batteries in Li-Po bags along with my DSLR and GoPro ... unsurprisingly, as ever, the bag was emptied after being X-rayed and then after a compliment as to how interesting it all looked I went on my way .... same coming home !

Really can't see why it needs a video. Take it in hand luggage (its fragile). Remove battery and tape the terminals.
Job done. No need for snake-oil lipo bags.
This is an RC toy made of plastic with a battery. There's nothing special about a "drone".

Just check the country you're flying into actually allows them in otherwise customs will get to keep it.

My mavic has been on 50 ish flights so far and not once has anyone cared, looked at or queried it.

Really can't see why it needs a video. Take it in hand luggage (its fragile). Remove battery and tape the terminals.
Job done. No need for snake-oil lipo bags.
This is an RC toy made of plastic with a battery. There's nothing special about a "drone".

Just check the country you're flying into actually allows them in otherwise customs will get to keep it.

My mavic has been on 50 ish flights so far and not once has anyone cared, looked at or queried it.

Agree in general with that BUT check your airline rules first ... the Li-Po bags which are cheap are often a stipulated requirement .... I don’t necessarily agree that they need to be but I’d hate to be refused to carry the drone for the sake of a few quids worth of battery bag if that’s the rules ... cheers

Ive not come across a single airline or aviation authority anywhere in the world thats recommended a lipo bag as a requirement. What specific airlines mention that? US carriers (ive only flown on jet blue and american there and they dont).

Hi mate ... Tui in UK did .. as I say, for a few quid to avoid embarrassment etc it didn’t bother me a jot ... cheers, Dave

Hi mate ... Tui in UK did .. as I say, for a few quid to avoid embarrassment etc it didn’t bother me a jot ... cheers, Dave
agree, airport security would not even know what a lipo bag was. BUT showing that you are taking battery care and safety seriously I what they do care about. £3 is a cheap price to pay for that.

agree, airport security would not even know what a lipo bag was. BUT showing that you are taking battery care and safety seriously I what they do care about. £3 is a cheap price to pay for that.

Or 1p for some tape or a ziploc bag? Far better and just as effective.

Last edited:
OK ..... I was clearly given duff advice ... however ... I’ll fly happier knowing they’re in a( Reusable) bag ..... and trusting that anyone at the airline who doesn’t know the rules will appreciate them more than some tape over the ends ... have a great weekend all ...

this is the airline. security are not employed buy them

Correct. And security has no such policy at any airport about bags. Airlines can add to but not remove from security requirements.

So im still waiting for any airline or airport that requires these bags (that wont work in the event of a fire anyway).

Correct. And security has no such policy at any airport about bags. Airlines can add to but not remove from security requirements.

So im still waiting for any airline or airport that requires these bags (that wont work in the event of a fire anyway).
never said they were a requirement, I said its demonstrating to ill or under informed security that I take safety and security seriously.
im not saying that's what you or anyone else needs to do. I do, without incident or problem. that's what the topic is about and the OP has asked.

So to summarise. Nobody has yet found anyone that mandate bags.
There's no demand of and no proof the things work or could actually work so cant use that to claim it increases safety or security.

I cant work out why people get confused about taking a drone on a plane. Its a bit of plastic with some batteries like every kids toy and most electronic devices. Just do what you'd do with anything else and all is fine unless the airline has some bizarre policy on drones.

Reactions: Thwyllo
So to summarise. Nobody has yet found anyone that mandate bags.
There's no demand of and no proof the things work or could actually work so cant use that to claim it increases safety or security.

I cant work out why people get confused about taking a drone on a plane. Its a bit of plastic with some batteries like every kids toy and most electronic devices. Just do what you'd do with anything else and all is fine unless the airline has some bizarre policy on drones.
ok, move on I am
have a good dayThumbswayup

this is the airline. security are not employed by them

And it's not in their rules either, otherwise nobody, ever, would be getting on a plane without the bags would they. They are there to conduct security searches according to security rules - airline policy is not their business or concern.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98