DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take Off Tactics

Have you guys, who have mats, tried the precise landing feature. I normally land manually but I've seen the option to precisely record take off point (I imagine Mavic makes some kind of image of the ground) to help it later.

I have done a number of automatic return to home landings and, surprisingly, landings on the mat have not been so accurate. Whereas landing without have been inch perfect (literally). Figure that out!

Most of you will know that the grass doesn't need to be too long before it can cause problems at take off because the props catch the blades of grass.

The solution is to take off away from the grass but this isn't always practical.

I'm thinking of carrying something, maybe a small bit of rolled up lino or even learning how to do hand take offs, anybody got good ideas for ways to take off from that kind of grass?
How about you just go blow the
Most of you will know that the grass doesn't need to be too long before it can cause problems at take off because the props catch the blades of grass.

The solution is to take off away from the grass but this isn't always practical.

I'm thinking of carrying something, maybe a small bit of rolled up lino or even learning how to do hand take offs, anybody got good ideas for ways to take off from that kind of grass?

Didnt take me long to go blow 11 bucks on

How about you think for yourself and do like me? Go blow 11 bucks on Landing Pad Helipad Waterproof Foldable Portable for DJI Phantom 4 3 Mavic Pro | eBay......... Comparing to the price of your equipment that is practically FREE.

How about you think for yourself and do like me? Go blow 11 bucks on Landing Pad Helipad Waterproof Foldable Portable for DJI Phantom 4 3 Mavic Pro | eBay......... Comparing to the price of your equipment that is practically FREE.

Cheaper landing pad is a photographers folding reflective screen on eBay from China a couple of quid. Just sprayed an H on it for looks and 3 tent pegs to hold it down when it's windy. Folds up very small in its own bag with the pegs.

afbdcaea308542f77f59b9890b811295.jpg
I like using one of these two depending on the length of grass. Golf mat works best because of the weight. Safe flying peeps.

Do you have a big dog? I take off my German shepherd's back and it works perfectly. Also, I think you should create a separate thread for a different kind of grass so we can help you better. Sounds like you need a lot of help in taking off

Reactions: UAVXTC

Use one half of those foldable car windshield visors, the ones that pop open and twist to fold again. I got a plain white one for free and camo'd it to match the drone.

Very simple.

You bring the Mavic down so it is in front of you and just a few inches higher than you.

You put your hand under the Mavic taking care to make sure it stays right under and in the middle to avoid the propellers.

Then on the controller you initiate landing as if you were landing on the ground. Swipe once when you’re ready to grab the Mavic.

You will need to have the controller held in such a way that you can swipe with your free hand the second time and the Mavic will drop into your hand and the motors will turn off.

YouTube “how to hand launch Mavic”

Not a fan of that option, id rather the mavic didn't descend or move without my direct input. My method is bring it to a hover maybe 6ft up, landing prot or downward sensors off, reach underneath it and grab it in the middle thumb one side, 2 fingers the other side. Use the other hand to hold full down stick for a few seconds so the motors stop.

I used a cardboard folded box. I turned off landing protection and hand catch it. Carefully I might add.

Reactions: Prado man
That landing mat should arrive today, weather is bad but better tomorrow, hoping to go out.

Be curious to see how accurate the automatic land is when using the mat.

Have you guys, who have mats, tried the precise landing feature. I normally land manually but I've seen the option to precisely record take off point (I imagine Mavic makes some kind of image of the ground) to help it later.

My Mavic had landed right back on my 2ft square landing pop-up mat many times. Trick is to make sure after takeoff you hover at about 10m to ensure the mavic has taken enough photo info of the RTH site for an accurate, precise landing

I do own a foldable landing pad but ended up using it only in my early flights. Now I either launch from the ground or, if not possible/safe, I hand-launch and hand-catch which is super quick and easy.

My advice: don't bother with pads at all. After all, who wants to carry more stuff around when they can do without?

Floor mats from in the car are perfect, but if you are like me, remember to put them back again and don't leave them behind.

Good idea! I was thinking about a used pallet but this sounds more practical, and they're already there. Good advice too, I'm still searching for my darn umbrella :)

That landing mat should arrive today, weather is bad but better tomorrow, hoping to go out.

Be curious to see how accurate the automatic land is when using the mat.

Yep - works like a charm...

Reactions: JetexJim
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c