DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking my Mavic to Scotland. What are the the "FJA Special Use Airspaces?"

gkahl

Reactions
Hi folks, I'm taking a family holiday in about a week and planning to bring my Mavic during a trip down the Caladonian Canal and while doing so hiking on the Isle of Skye.

When I check the Kittyhawk app for Skye and most of the highlands, I see several Special Use Airspaces, but cannot find any information on the restrictions associate with them.

Can someone please point me towards (or tell me) what restrictions are associated with the following:
FJA South East and FJA South- it seems the entire Isle of Skye is covered with these.
R610A Highlands

Also, in general in Scotland and the rest of the UK, what's the maximum legal height allowed. I hear it's lower than the 400' we're generally allowed to fly in the U.S.

Thanks in advance for any leads. I don't want to bother bringing the bird if these areas in particular are off limits.

Regards,

-Garth Kahl
Oregon, USA

Lots of secret military bases in Scotland so they don't want people having a look at what's there or what they are doing,

Drone code recommends 400ft but legally its 1000ft

Can someone please point me towards (or tell me) what restrictions are associated with the following:
FJA South East and FJA South- it seems the entire Isle of Skye is covered with these.

Fast Jet Areas (FJA). "Within the Scottish FIR/UIR, FJAs have been established as detailed below and extend from the surface to FL550 (unless capped at a lower Flight Level). When activated, intense aerial activity can be expected, with large formations of attack aircraft conducting high-energy evasive manoeuvres against opposing air defence aircraft. FJAs will be afforded the segregated status of Special Use Airspace between FL245 and FL550 for exercise participants, when active. Civilian and military non-exercise air traffic may be encountered in Class E and G airspace below FL245. If a FJA is activated outside of TRA published activation times MABCC are requested to extend the corresponding TRAs to match the activation times of the FJA. To deconflict any concurrent non-exercise activity in D701, and FJA South, a smaller area known as FJA South East can be activated."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan