DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking of from a moving vehicle problem

I fly all the time from my sailboat. You can't rely on return to home. make sure you never deplete your battery too much. so long as your controller has a GPS location which I'm sure yours will then you can just follow the course line back to your location. very easy. I would not even think of using return to home as your boat will always be moving. just follow your course line back. also you should practice hand launching and retrieving. for that you might need to disable downward vision sensors.
Controller has no GPS location, except through the tablet, unless it is an Inspire remote, or a P4P+ remote.

Controller has no GPS location, except through the tablet, unless it is an Inspire remote, or a P4P+ remote.
Yes of course I mean through the attached tablet or smartphone. As far as I know there is no way to even use the remote controller for the Mavic without a tablet or smartphone.

Ipad mini wifi only has GPS when connected with WiFi. This is not the same. In the middle of the ocean with no wifi around you will be hooped. You need the cellular version
Technically, it's not GPS over Wifi. It's location data, based upon Wifi locations that Google has mapped during its Street View driving. It cannot be used to reset the Home Point. You need true GPS from a cell phone or BT connected GPS.

I seem to recall reading the new Phantom 4 pro has this capability. If it detects what it thinks is water it will hover in place instead of landing - which would be ideal in emergency situations. In fact, if I were to do most of my filming from water I would opt for the Phantom 4 Pro instead of the Mavic. It has a slightly longer battery life, it travels faster so is likely to fare better against winds and its easier to hand catch. Of course it does cost more and its bigger. My wife and I are planning in a couple of years on finally cruising offshore for an extended period of time and I'll probably opt for something more like the Phantom 4 Pro just for those reasons. Of course, a couple of years in drone technology who knows - maybe a submersible flying drone. DJI are you listening?
P4P detects moving water, according to the DJI LIVE presentation. Most water offshore isn't moving in a detectible manner. Be careful out there!

Last edited:
A manual switch to ATTI mode has been requested by the DJI reps on RC Groups... Not sure when it will be implemented though.... ATTI mode is as "manual" as you can get on DJI aircraft, it will hold it's altitude via barometer, but you will be responsible for everything else... However, I do believe that GPS is still lurking around in the background to make sure you don't fly into a NFZ..
...and to get you back to the Home Point for RTH. It knows where it is, but it doesn't try and keep it in place. It lets it drift with the wind.

Yes of course I mean through the attached tablet or smartphone. As far as I know there is no way to even use the remote controller for the Mavic without a tablet or smartphone.
True. You can, however use it without the controller with just a SmartPhone up to 80m or so.

True. You can, however use it without the controller with just a SmartPhone up to 80m or so.
What do you mean? The Mavic CAN NOT be flown without a smart phone or tablet????

What do you mean? The Mavic CAN NOT be flown without a smart phone or tablet????
True, but that's not what I said, which was, "You can, however, use it, without the controller, with just a SmartPhone up to 80m or so."

Hi
Imagine I start the drone from a moving boat and do all the flying around I want. At some point suppose I want to use the return to home function. The Mavic would fly to the take off coordinates and try to land. However with the boat moving around there would be no solid ground under it hence no place to land.
MacPap

I went wake boarding at the weekend, to capture some footage from the boat ( A lot harder than it sounds) I too was concerned about this.

I took off form the boat, flew over to the beach just next to us and set the return to home point, just incase anything went wrong. Everything was fine i didn't have any
issues. I was able to use active track to follow my friend and generally follow the boat, the mavic was fast enough to keep up.

When I was coming into land, i had to land sideways the forward facing sensors stopped me getting any closer to the boat, I might try a hand catch next time.

Video below:

I went wake boarding at the weekend, to capture some footage from the boat ( A lot harder than it sounds) I too was concerned about this.

I took off form the boat, flew over to the beach just next to us and set the return to home point, just incase anything went wrong. Everything was fine i didn't have any
issues. I was able to use active track to follow my friend and generally follow the boat, the mavic was fast enough to keep up.

When I was coming into land, i had to land sideways the forward facing sensors stopped me getting any closer to the boat, I might try a hand catch next time.

Video below:
Video is set to private.

You are arguing with yourself now. I have already agreed with you. :rolleyes:
Hahahahaha it was done accidentally (had 2 open windows and used both to answer with an interval of some hours. Hahaha Sorry.
But just to clarify it. Can the Mavic be flown with just the controller yes or no?

I went wake boarding at the weekend, to capture some footage from the boat ( A lot harder than it sounds) I too was concerned about this......

....When I was coming into land, i had to land sideways the forward facing sensors stopped me getting any closer to the boat, I might try a hand catch next time.
Please let us know this was nice even if a bit spooky lol.....

Hahahahaha it was done accidentally (had 2 open windows and used both to answer with an interval of some hours. Hahaha Sorry.
But just to clarify it. Can the Mavic be flown with just the controller yes or no?
No problem. :cool:
No. Controller with smartphone/tablet, or smartphone only within 80m.
It needs the app. Controller alone has no app functionality.

None the less can it be flown?

Yes, it can fly with just the controller, but there is no way to focus the camera if you don't have a smartphone connected to the controller. I believe everything else should work though.

Reactions: MacPap

Video below:

Holy **** that was sketchy. Personally, I would have cut of vision sensors there and caught it by hand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman