DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking pictures of Christmas lights at night from a drone - legal or not?

stevek461

Reactions
Hello,

Is it legal to take photos of Christmas lights at night (after the 30 minute window) from a drone?

What if you were to post such a photo to twitter/fb?

Are you just putting yourself in hot water by doing such a thing?

(Regardless if you have a night waiver or not)

Thanks!

If it is night it must 'technically' be illegal. You could do it in the grey area of twilight just after sunset to have a way out if a federal authority jumped out of the bushes to lay charges...

That said, I am sure BVLOS flights are not legal in many areas and people still post that to YouTube all the time...

H
If it is night it must 'technically' be illegal. You could do it in the grey area of twilight just after sunset to have a way out if a federal authority jumped out of the bushes to lay charges...

That said, I am sure BVLOS flights are not legal in many areas and people still post that to YouTube all the time...
not exactly, with a 107.29 waiver and and a part 107 certificate, you can legally fly at night. Or as a recreational pilot for personal use (supposing you are in class G uncontrolled airspace) would also be ok . All other rules as a recreational pilot or as a part 107 pilot must be followed.

H

not exactly, with a 107.29 waiver and and a part 107 certificate, you can legally fly at night. Or as a recreational pilot for personal use (supposing you are in class G uncontrolled airspace) would also be ok . All other rules as a recreational pilot or as a part 107 pilot must be followed.
It all depends of which country You are in. This is an international forum with different laws in different countries. In our country it’s legal to fly in the middle of the night, just use navigation lighting.
Here are our Swedish laws about drones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait. Does that mean you can fly at night? Or only 107 with a waiver?

If you meet the points in the image noted above from AMA's handbook and you're flying for Hobby/Recreation, you're in Class G Airspace, and you follow all other rules & regs then YES.

If you're flying Part 107 then you have to meet all of those regs which include a Daylight Waiver.

If you meet the points in the image noted above from AMA's handbook and you're flying for Hobby/Recreation, you're in Class G Airspace, and you follow all other rules & regs then YES.

If you're flying Part 107 then you have to meet all of those regs which include a Daylight Waiver.
Thank you!

Reactions: drw52jc and BigAl07

I am so confused. Know Before You Fly says Do Not Fly At Night. That's it. Do Not Fly At Night. As best I can tell, it doesn't say anything else. Can you help me better understand?

I am so confused. Know Before You Fly says Do Not Fly At Night. That's it. Do Not Fly At Night. As best I can tell, it doesn't say anything else. Can you help me better understand?

Post #5 is directly from the FAA... that's about as good as it gets.

T
Post #5 is directly from the FAA... that's about as good as it gets.

OK Thanks. I guess that begs the question what is an appopriate lighting kit for the M2P? This is actually pretty exciting for me. ....not that I am ready to do it. I have only flown at dusk.

I would suggest having some night lights attached to your drone. Mine were super cheap from Amazon and it was a breeze to find my drone in the night sky. I bought the RCGEEK strobe light, currently $18 U.S.

Reactions: Lenora and cavenger
T

OK Thanks. I guess that begs the question what is an appopriate lighting kit for the M2P? This is actually pretty exciting for me. ....not that I am ready to do it. I have only flown at dusk.
your bird must have a white or red strobe or permanent light, that’s visible for 3 miles. And you must be able to tell the birds orientation . VLOS must also be maintained

I was in the Philippines on on the eve of New Year’s eve, i fly my mavic 2 to shoot all the fireworks, i hovering at a height of 100m up.

your bird must have a white or red strobe or permanent light

White, Red or Perm? Can you cite your source of that information? I've not seen those criteria mandated in anything I've been perusing from the FAA.

that’s visible for 3 miles

Currently that only applies to Part 107 operations (although it should apply to all sUAS but I digress . . .)

Reactions: OldManDroner
your bird must have a white or red strobe or permanent light, that’s visible for 3 miles. And you must be able to tell the birds orientation . VLOS must also be maintained
FAA does not specify which color strobes for recreational flights. So, which ever works for you. Personally I use the standard 2x white, 1x red, and 1x green. Just like the big birds use!

I bought these. Super bright in the day. Have not used them at night yet. They sell red, white and green. I hat all 3 on mine.

Firehouse Technology "Arc II White Four Strobe Light System Approved FAA 107.29 for Night Flights Drone Quadcopter UAS DJI Inspire 1 2 Phantom Mavic Pro AIR Typhoon H Yuneec Matrice Amazon.com: Firehouse Technology "Arc II White Four Strobe Light System Approved FAA 107.29 for Night Flights Drone Quadcopter UAS DJI Inspire 1 2 Phantom Mavic Pro AIR Typhoon H Yuneec Matrice: Toys & Games

I did a test last night of my $18 RCGEEK strobe lights. They don't claim to be visible for 3 miles, but I wanted to see what they were capable of. I went out 1/2 mile and my Air was still easy to spot. If the 3 mile is only a 107 requirement, I see no reason for a recreational pilot to spend $30 or so for an expensive single strobe when you can get two for what I paid.

I did a test last night of my $18 RCGEEK strobe lights. They don't claim to be visible for 3 miles, but I wanted to see what they were capable of. I went out 1/2 mile and my Air was still easy to spot. If the 3 mile is only a 107 requirement, I see no reason for a recreational pilot to spend $30 or so for an expensive single strobe when you can get two for what I paid.

Because Safety? What's $30 in the big picture. It's not you or the drone we're trying to keep alive. If you were in an aircraft traveling along would you want to be looking for a bright light or a candle to help you avoid it?

Meeting the minimums is one small step above failing completely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78