DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

taking pictures with integra and motion control 2

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Picked up a Air3 and debating picking up a motion controller 2 after I realized that i cant use the integra goggles and the smart controller with the air 3...

Just wondering if i should return the integra goggles or pick up the motion controller 2... I get the aspect about FPV but wondering how the camera functionality works without the option on the smart controller.

Is it the same as the FPV drone, kind of annoyed I cant use that smart controller for this and while video was always ok the photo ability on the FPV drone was lack luster.

Thoughts? Other than DJI is REALLY good about sucking us into buying new **** around accessories.

If you would like to enjoy FPV flying with your Air 3, I would recommend getting the MC2.

If you just want to fly your Air 3 and you like the idea of wearing goggles (instead of looking at a screen), then I return the integra goggles until they implement the RC2.

Just wondering if i should return the integra goggles or pick up the motion controller 2... I get the aspect about FPV but wondering how the camera functionality works without the option on the smart controller.
Camera settings are available via the goggles menu - just did a screenshot of the menu within the goggles when connected to my Air 3:

1699382604572.jpeg

Here you can also switch between taking pictures or filming.

Pictures can be taken via the motion controller 2 or in the top menu of the goggles:

1699383000723.jpeg

Reactions: VenomXts
did you finally kept the Goggles and picked up a motion controller 2?

Meanwhile I did some further testing (as this combo is new for me as well), and for all others looking to get one keep in mind:

- with the motion controller you can point the nose of the drone down, which won't be possible with the standard/smart controller - much more dynamic footage!

- every little movement of your hand will be visible in the final footage, so if you're looking for super smooth video, the motion controller maybe not the perfect choice for you. I never realized this in the footage of the DJI Avata, but maybe because the Avata uses RockSteady to smoothen the final video

To illustrate those topics, I created a short video where you can see what the resulting footage will look like:

https://youtu.be/xbbgaI035EA

So before buying the goggles, you have to balance pro and contra for yourself if it is worth the cost for you!

Hope this helps to decide!

Reactions: Richie1027

Meanwhile I did some further testing (as this combo is new for me as well), and for all others looking to get one keep in mind:

- with the motion controller you can point the nose of the drone down, which won't be possible with the standard/smart controller - much more dynamic footage!

I believe you have mistaken vertical gimbal movement by the camera for actual aircraft attitude.

The MC controls the camera vertical angle to simulate airplane-like flight dynamics in the FPV experience. However, when pitching the MC forward to the limit of looking down, the aircraft stays flat and level, and if you apply throttle will simply descend in a more or less level attitude while the camera is looking down.

You can directly see this... Put your A3 in the air 10 ft away an 10 feet altitude. Without any pull on the throttle trigger, so it simply hovers in place, put the goggles on and pitch the MC forward and back. in the goggles, the view will be aiming up and down, as if the nose of the aircraft is following the MC. Now take the goggles off and do the same, while you watch the camera on the drone simply swivel up and down while the drone stays level, hovering.

Now, using the joystick on the MC2, ascend vertically 100ft. Put the goggles back on, and descend 30 ft or so by pitching the MC forward to its limit and giving some throttle (pull the trigger). Stop, repeat without goggles observing the drone. You'll see the drone descends like it always does, flat and level.

You can do exactly the same thing with the FPV RC stick controller on a drone that supports it (FPV and Avata) using the camera pitch dial.

Last edited:

- every little movement of your hand will be visible in the final footage, so if you're looking for super smooth video, the motion controller maybe not the perfect choice for you. I never realized this in the footage of the DJI Avata, but maybe because the Avata uses RockSteady to smoothen the final video

To illustrate those topics, I created a short video where you can see what the resulting footage will look like:

https://youtu.be/xbbgaI035EA

So before buying the goggles, you have to balance pro and contra for yourself if it is worth the cost for you!

Hope this helps to decide!
I think what camera drone pilots really want is a set of Goggles (alone) that will work with their original remote controller so they only have to buy the Goggles because they are looking for a more "immersive" solution....plus it's cool. ;)

I can't imagine anyone solely wanting to use Googles with their camera drone to consider FPV flying with a different drone like the Avata. Sadly, pilots are buying these camera drones for the "flying" experience (not necessarily for the camera) when the FPV drones could give them that experience so much more.

I believe you have mistaken vertical gimbal movement by the camera for actual aircraft attitude.

The MC controls the camera vertical angle to simulate airplane-like flight dynamics in the FPV experience. However, when pitching the MC forward to the limit of looking down, the aircraft stays flat and level, and if you apply throttle will simply descend in a more or less level attitude while the camera is looking down.
Never thought about that, but I guess you're spot on!

Nevertheless as this is a "software-trick", why doesn't DJI make this happen if you switch the standard controller to "FPV"? I guess it's just marketing to make us buy the Motion Controller..

For the DJI Avata: I only flew the Avata 3-5 times with the Motion Controller 2 in the beginning, as soon as the FPV controller arrived (was around 2 weeks shipping time), I almost only flew it in Manual mode with the FPV controller since then.

And by the way: flying the DJI Avata with the FPV controller in Normal oder Sports mode behaves exactly like the DJI Air 3 with the standard controller (RC-N2 or RC2) in FPV mode: only left and right "FPV like moves", no pointing down or up (with the camera as I learned today) when going up and down with the sticks.

(But that I don't understand from DJI's marketing point of view: we (customer) already have the Motion Controller, and payed extra for the FPV controller: why don't give us the full FPV experience when flying with it in Normal and Sports mode..)

And to summarize the discussion here: I tested the DJI Air3 & Goggles & Motion Controller a few times, but meanwhile (mainly due to video quality when moving your hands too much with the Motion Controler) I stick to the DJI RC2 controller. And for real FPV experience, I take the Avata and fly it in Manual Mode ;)

Was easy for me to test the Goggles with DJI Air 3, as I already have it from the Avata, but if you have to buy the Goggles Combo on top: I wouldn't do it!

Was easy for me to test the Goggles with DJI Air 3, as I already have it from the Avata, but if you have to buy the Goggles Combo on top: I wouldn't do it!

But we have plenty of people who claim they will buy the Googles if only DJI would make the Mini 4 Pro compatible (as they have done with the Mini 3 Pro). Are they ill-informed, is the immersive experience not so great when using your Goggles with the Air 3? Not talking FPV type of flying with your Air 3 but being able to wear Goggles instead of looking at a small screen on your tiny RC. ;)

For sure you'll get the "immersive experience" when flying with Goggles and the MC2 - but video quality will suffer with this combo, and you'll have to spend EUR 600 + for this "add-on": for my taste an "expensive experience", but that's just my take on that.

Just a few days ago I watched a video of one of my first flights with the Goggles and MC2 (and DJI Air 3). Horrible shaking in the beginning, but was my fault as I didn't had a steady hand :oops:

And for the price (Goggles & MC2) you almost get the DJI Avata - which has another advantage over flying the DJI Air 3 with the Motion Controller: on the Avata you can activate "RockSteady", which will take away a good amount of shaking away if you move your hand too much like me ;)

But we have plenty of people who claim they will buy the Googles if only DJI would make the Mini 4 Pro compatible (as they have done with the Mini 3 Pro).
So here we go - now those people waiting for Goggles compatible with the Mini 4 Pro can start shopping:

Hang on guys and gals---New goggles and aircraft on the way. How do I know you ask? DJI has the Avata and current goggles on sale which means new stuff is on the way.

Hang on guys and gals---New goggles and aircraft on the way. How do I know you ask? DJI has the Avata and current goggles on sale which means new stuff is on the way.
Pretty sure new stuff is always "on the way" but it might take awhile to become backwards compatible. The Avata and the Integra goggles have been on sale before, in fact, this is the second time for Avata so there is no better time to get one than now. This Spring/Summer we look forward to new FPV equipment and I usually obey the DJI one year/one model rule but for this one....gotta wait and see.

Reactions: 4 inch pistons
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas