DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Technical Feasibility Reality Check

I get it. Lol. 40mph is plenty fast enough for me right now. About 30 or 40 feet above the trees flying up out of the ravine in front of my place at 40 is quite thrilling. I honestly haven’t even dared do that with the Goggles, only the phone screen so far.

Mike
Getting the goggles, and the full immersion "riding the drone" experience, is my main motivation for getting the FPV!

I've done the Canonball Run up and down the canyon with my Mini-2s many times, gradually getting lower. A couple of times I've done it in 2.7K at 3X, and 1080p at 4X. The best compromise seemed to be 2.7K at 3X, but as I've gotten more comfortable doing it, and gone lower, 4K is starting to pull ahead as the right vid setting.

As soon as I get comfortable just flying the FPV around from my forward flight deck, which is very open, I'll send it off on the Cannonball Run, as fast as I can make it go. In "Timid" mode at first.

Doing something over and over again, and knowing a route well, adds both competence and confidence!

:)

Does the FPV support waypoints, and/or Litchi?

Thx!

TCS

(sigh)

I wish you hadn't told me that.

Best Buy is just down the hill, and a bit up the road. 15 minutes max.

Must...resist...burning...desire...

TCS
Go on, you know you want to 😝

Reactions: Chaosrider
OK, that certainly sucks!

Would you mind if I sent a copy of this to DJI, when I inquire about this issue with them?

Thx!

TCS
Try using this instead

Sure, it'll be on the downloads page for it on DJI site.

Some fun flying around...

👍
You had posted a video of an earlier flight over this quarry about a year ago. At that time I had been carefully considering the pros and cons of adding an FPV to my DJI fleet. After seeing that video I decided I just have to have an FPV.

Go on, you know you want to 😝
So you're a supporter of the Little Red Devil on my left shoulder...

You know that point in a close arm wrestling match, when something shifts, one way or the other, and you know it will be over soon? I think that just happened in this match, and the LRD has a big grin on his face.

The Weather Gods are on the side of the Little White Angel, though. I won't have any decent flying weather for at least a week, probably longer. Why buy a drone that I wouldn't be able to fly?

Oh, wait...I could still play with it even if I couldn't fly it, and then, there's the stimulator...

I think resistance is becoming futile...

;-)

TCS

They have that price quite often. I would guess every other month.

Mike
Point for the Little White Angel. If that price will semi-reliably be available, then there's no need for urgency based on the discount.

;-)

TCS

Try using this instead
OK, that's just *awful*!

Might the texture of the surface be part of the cause of the problem? I know that's true of the Mini-2 camera system.

Is there any data that's even semi-quantitative about whether this is an endemic problem, or an occasional failure mode?

Perhaps perversely, if it's endemically that bad, I have to believe that DJI is going to fix it, eventually.

Point for the Angel...

Thx,

TCS

Sure, it'll be on the downloads page for it on DJI site.

Some fun flying around...

What an awesome vid! Video quality fully acceptable.

Point for the Devil.

But if I'm understanding the OPs correctly, the rotten video shows up only on audience goggles, not the primary feed goggles. Is that right? Is this vid through the primary goggles?

Knowing only a wee bit more than nothing about it, having audience goggles that are dependent on the primary goggles strikes me as a lame architecture for doing audience viewing...

I asked DJI about the manual yesterday, so hopefully they'll send me the direct link today.

Thx!

:)

TCS

👍
You had posted a video of an earlier flight over this quarry about a year ago. At that time I had been carefully considering the pros and cons of adding an FPV to my DJI fleet. After seeing that video I decided I just have to have an FPV.
I know the feeling...!

TCS

. I won't have any decent flying weather for at least a week, probably longer. Why buy a drone that I wouldn't be able to fly?

Oh, wait...I could still play with it even if I couldn't fly it, and then, there's the stimulator...

I think resistance is becoming futile...

;-)

TCS

Who needs to fly it when you when you can cradle it gently to yourself and rock slowly while crooning “it’ssss special it is ….. it’ssss my precious!!”

Have I mentioned that your shoulder is rather boney these days?

Regards
LRD

Who needs to fly it when you when you can cradle it gently to yourself and rock slowly while crooning “it’ssss special it is ….. it’ssss my precious!!”
I hadn't thought of that...another point for the Devil!

;-)

Have I mentioned that your shoulder is rather boney these days?
Not sufficiently. I've lost some weight, but I have at least 40 lbs left to go...

;-)

Here's the direct link to the DJI FPV manual for anyone who's interested:

DJI_FPV_User_Manual_EN.pdf

Thx!

TCS

OK, that's just *awful*!

Might the texture of the surface be part of the cause of the problem? I know that's true of the Mini-2 camera system.

Is there any data that's even semi-quantitative about whether this is an endemic problem, or an occasional failure mode?

Perhaps perversely, if it's endemically that bad, I have to believe that DJI is going to fix it, eventually.

Point for the Angel...

Thx,

TCS
Might the texture of the surface be part of the cause of the problem?

Yes, in general, the more detail the higher the bandwidth requirements.

This location usually presents a problem so I would not call this an occasional failure. just to be clear it's only the audience mode goggles that have this problem. The primary goggles are fine.

Good luck hoping DJI will fix this problem. In a way it can't be fixed without an entirely different system. There is only so much bandwidth available and the primary goggles take precedence. Maybe in FPV2.

With the higher gain antennas the problem has been reduced to tolerable for me. When I'm demonstrating the system I'll wear the audience goggles and have my guest wear the primary goggles. Maybe that will work for you.

Is this vid through the primary goggles?
This is the aircraft's onboard recording.

I have another video up where I go a bit harder where I have the goggles video as well:

Goggles video gets murdered by youtube, quality is actually a lot better (well both do, but the goggles much more so since the goggles' recording isn't a standard resolution youtube likes).

I'll let @BudWalker answer about the audience mode, I've only tried it a couple of times myself out of curiosity with a friend who also has an FPV, since I've only got one set of goggles I just either connect a phone/tablet for spectators if any or just replay them the recording as I pass them the goggles after the fact.

I don't expect DJI to fix though, the FPV's only had one meaningful update and it was eons ago by now, I wouldn't expect any other at this point. Plus the issue is actually years old as the Inspire 1/Lightbridge 2 system had similar problems with dual remotes all the way back in 2015.

👍
Should be that same one :p

Last edited:
That is so funny, so on the mark. Although I don't get sick but then I have never tried manual. Old men are safe with GPS. Brilliant!

Reactions: MA2 317

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000