DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrible drone range

1. VLOS
2. DJI have made it clear that their distance information is a proxy for the stability of the signal, not an actual distance to fly.

Reactions: Medley
1. VLOS
2. DJI have made it clear that their distance information is a proxy for the stability of the signal, not an actual distance to fly.
LOL where is it clear they mention this?
People just aren’t being smart by testing these limits and trying to use it realistically like this. That’s like me saying that since I own a McLaren, I should be driving 200mph to the grocery store on a daily basis on public roads.

From their site quoted:
OcuSync 2.0 has a video transmission distance of up to 10 km and can also deliver 1080p FHD resolution livestream directly from the drone’s camera. Enjoy more freedom for exploring and more clarity for that
perfect shot.”

Reactions: Sjkieffer
“*Unobstructed, free from interference and when FCC-compliant. Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience. Always fly your drone within your visual line of sight unless otherwise permitted.
LOL where is it clear they mention this?
People just aren’t being smart by testing these limits and trying to use it realistically like this. That’s like me saying that since I own a McLaren, I should be driving 200mph to the grocery store on a daily basis on public roads.

From their site quoted:
OcuSync 2.0 has a video transmission distance of up to 10 km and can also deliver 1080p FHD resolution livestream directly from the drone’s camera. Enjoy more freedom for exploring and more clarity for that perfect shot.”

Like so many others who have inconvenient facts pointed out to them, you have, of course, omitted the one salient item that doesn't match your argument. That quotation ends with this "[3]".

The implication being that one then needs to refer to Note [3] at the foot of the page which will provide further information, exclusions, T&C etc. If one then reads [3], one will find DJI note this:

3. Unobstructed, free of interference, and when FCC-compliant. Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience. Always follow local rules and regulations and fly your drone within your visual line of sight unless otherwise permitted.
No LOL required - it pays to read the whole text, not just the convenient bits that support your version of the "facts".

“*Unobstructed, free from interference and when FCC-compliant. Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience. Always fly your drone within your visual line of sight unless otherwise permitted.

Like so many others who have inconvenient facts pointed out to them, you have, of course, omitted the one salient item that doesn't match your argument. That quotation ends with this "[3]".

The implication being that one then needs to refer to Note [3] at the foot of the page which will provide further information, exclusions, T&C etc. If one then reads [3], one will find DJI note this:

3. Unobstructed, free of interference, and when FCC-compliant. Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience. Always follow local rules and regulations and fly your drone within your visual line of sight unless otherwise permitted.
No LOL required - it pays to read the whole text, not just the convenient bits that support your version of the "facts".

I still disagree with you.
The fact they put a subnote on this and referenced this elsewhere OUT OF SIGHT and NOT CLEAR for the average person, makes it UNCLEAR.
If DJI advertises this on a box at a store, people are going to read "Wow it goes 10km!!! I can fly 10km!!!" Not many people are going to bother reading the fine print. IT IS UNCLEAR for the 99%.

Seriously?

I would hardly say it that the information was "elsewhere" or "OUT OF SIGHT" or "NOT CLEAR" (and I have no understanding why you feel the need to shout). And if "IT IS UNCLEAR for the 99%" (again, no need to shout) then that 99% must have some serious comprehension issues when it comes to navigating daily life.

It's on exactly the same page that you took your quotation from, immediately after the information about ND filters and is presented, to shout like you did, BEFORE THE "BUY NOW" BUTTON.

And it's even on a different coloured background to make it visible. I'm sorry you didn't see "[3]" as some kind of a clue that you should look for more information - like one might with the [1], [2], [4]-[8] indications.

I am, for argument's sake, generously presuming that you wouldn't have ignored the limitations on the 12MP SmartPhoto resolution, or on the 8K resolution, or that APAS and Focus Track can't be used in 4K @ 60 fps (etc), or that the ND filters only come with the Fly More Combo, or the information on battery life being measured with an Android phone.

Stories abound about "people who are [not] going to bother reading the fine print" and there are even awards, specifically reserved for them, named after a noted evolutional scientist.

No need to reply to say "thank you" - it's all part of the service.

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 5.54.32 PM.png

Seriously?

I would hardly say it that the information was "elsewhere" or "OUT OF SIGHT" or "NOT CLEAR" (and I have no understanding why you feel the need to shout). And if "IT IS UNCLEAR for the 99%" (again, no need to shout) then that 99% must have some serious comprehension issues when it comes to navigating daily life.

It's on exactly the same page that you took your quotation from, immediately after the information about ND filters and is presented, to shout like you did, BEFORE THE "BUY NOW" BUTTON.

And it's even on a different coloured background to make it visible. I'm sorry you didn't see "[3]" as some kind of a clue that you should look for more information - like one might with the [1], [2], [4]-[8] indications.

I am, for argument's sake, generously presuming that you wouldn't have ignored the limitations on the 12MP SmartPhoto resolution, or on the 8K resolution, or that APAS and Focus Track can't be used in 4K @ 60 fps (etc), or that the ND filters only come with the Fly More Combo, or the information on battery life being measured with an Android phone.

Stories abound about "people who are [not] going to bother reading the fine print" and there are even awards, specifically reserved for them, named after a noted evolutional scientist.

No need to reply to say "thank you" - it's all part of the service.

View attachment 108878
Yes, “seriously”.
Why do you feel the need to reply with a novel response?

If DJi was trying to make this information clear for everyone, it would be in the exact same spot as where I quoted it. Instead, their marketing team obfuscated it elsewhere. This isn’t the definition of being clear at all. They’ve presented what people want to see and obfuscated the information that people don’t want to read. <insert comment about how you can’t navigate life> ?

But for real, I'm not super impressed.

I can't go farther than 1500' from my house.

single family homes.

I've seen M2Ps go miles in neighborhoods more packed than mine.

(I usually don't fly farther than 2000' anyway, even with awesome transmission signal)

And even at 1500' it's hard to see an M2P (strobes help, of course) if you take your eye off it. I really don't see any need for hobbyist pilots to be flying beyond VLOS though - especially since very few of them will even have considered an insurance policy to cover the potential damage to property and injury to people that could so easily occur. So 6/10km is a pointless metric when all's said and done.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Well I am on my third MA2 now! First one range was 1200mtr sent it back and DJI replaced it due faulty signal board. When it came back it was great. LOst it in the drink so bought another one and its range now about 1000mtr before it starts losing reception.Gonna give it a few more flights before I make a decision. I feel there is a batch of dodgy components out there

Just flew from my house again, wind coming hard out of the southeast at about 20mph @ 150AGL so no distance run again today.

But... From my house, I tried switching between dual band and 5.8 and got marginally better results in 5.8

Still terrible. 1500 feet and the feed is too unstable to use.
you flying up and over tree's? Reason i ask is if im flying 200 feet up and over tree;s straight out about 90 feet from them i get a diminished signal unless i go up to about 300 feet.

you flying up and over tree's? Reason i ask is if im flying 200 feet up and over tree;s straight out about 90 feet from them i get a diminished signal unless i go up to about 300 feet.
Yes I am.

85' tall pines, ten of them about 30 feet from home point.

you flying up and over tree's?
Yes I am.

85' tall pines, ten of them about 30 feet from home point.

yah, we are flying the same then.. sad to say your kinda limited..... if i get it at 400 feet i can get out about a mile but im hobbled by those threes there like your seeing..

yah, we are flying the same then.. sad to say your kinda limited..... if i get it at 400 feet i can get out about a mile but im hobbled by those threes there like your seeing..
So in FL, there's nothing to see from 400' AGL.

I usually don't go much over 100' unless I have to.

(I live by a few airports, and by the Ocean, planes follow different rules)

It's disappointing, but at the same time, I'll never push my drone that far. I'll just drive closer

I wonder if there's something generating a lot of noise in your neighborhood. Have you tried it somewhere else?

I wonder if there's something generating a lot of noise in your neighborhood. Have you tried it somewhere else?
So when I go to the River for boaty days, I still don't fly farther than 2000'. Simply because it's so far away that if anything happened recovery would be close to impossible. Especially over a fast moving river with TONS of boat traffic.

The nearest spot to me over dry land that is not littered with pine trees is an area called Maytown, FL. It still IS littered with pine trees, but it's got a large clearing that is supposed to be a huge development in the future. You can see it in Google Earth. There's clear LOS thought the trees for approximately 2 miles I believe. Again though, I don't really want to walk through 2 miles of private property to recover my drone.

I guess I may never actually know

So in FL, there's nothing to see from 400' AGL.

I usually don't go much over 100' unless I have to.

(I live by a few airports, and by the Ocean, planes follow different rules)

It's disappointing, but at the same time, I'll never push my drone that far. I'll just drive closer
This is my situation and normally me going out and up to 400.

Sweet video dude!

Was that maxed out on range?
I can push it out farther.just depending on day by another 1000 feet or so but it gets choppy and not butter smooth so I don't. I tend to go.to the left or right there I can easily go thousands of feet flying around. It's just the dense trees in front of the controller that are lagging me out.

I don't have problem regarding Range with my MA2, i always flew at open area at i can get up to 5,000meters of range, i rarely fly in populated areas.

Did you tried flying on Oceans or open area?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard