DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrible Photo Quality

nfordhk

Reactions
Hi,

My Mavic has had terrible photo quality since day one. I am shooting in RAW and all the tweaking I do doesn't seem to matter. Even my friend who has a Mavic feels mines is significantly degraded. Has anyone had experience with this? I do also "tap" to focus it.

Here's some examples
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Yes my photos look like **** as well.
Seems to be a lottery when buying a mavic.

Photos out of the Mavic (or any digital photo, really) benefit from a little digital post-processing.

Here's one of your photos after some quick tweaks in Lightroom. With a little more time, and the RAW file, it would be even better.

TAkFMBG-2.jpg

The images you posted were saved at low quality so it is hard to tell what could have been done with the originals. In the shot of the building, you were shooting towards the sun so that the subject was in shade. As a result, he image is of low contrast and poor color saturation. Mr. Salty did a great job of improving it. Certainly more could be done with the RAW file. For a subject like this, shooting at a different time of day where you had light coming from the side would greatly improve contrast and detail.
The Mavic applies noise reduction to Jpeg images, even when you are shooting in good light with low ISO and +1 sharpening setting. To get the best results, you have to shoot in RAW and do some post processing. Don't use ND filters for still images unless you are trying to blur the subject.
You should do a test with your friend where you both shoot the same subject at the same time with identical settings. This will confirm if you really have a problem.

View media item 1482
Those examples are not particularly good light, it doesn't do too well on dull days.
Exif is missing so can't comment on settings.
Photos out of the Mavic (or any digital photo, really) benefit from a little digital post-processing.

Here's one of your photos after some quick tweaks in Lightroom. With a little more time, and the RAW file, it would be even better.

View attachment 27123

I just feel they're never as sharp as my friends photos. Here's a great one for example in low light.

The images you posted were saved at low quality so it is hard to tell what could have been done with the originals. In the shot of the building, you were shooting towards the sun so that the subject was in shade. As a result, he image is of low contrast and poor color saturation. Mr. Salty did a great job of improving it. Certainly more could be done with the RAW file. For a subject like this, shooting at a different time of day where you had light coming from the side would greatly improve contrast and detail.
The Mavic applies noise reduction to Jpeg images, even when you are shooting in good light with low ISO and +1 sharpening setting. To get the best results, you have to shoot in RAW and do some post processing. Don't use ND filters for still images unless you are trying to blur the subject.
You should do a test with your friend where you both shoot the same subject at the same time with identical settings. This will confirm if you really have a problem.

I have been shooting in RAW and no ND filters. Although I' not an expert I definitely know my way around post. I posted the original for referencing. I'll look into tweaking some of those settings. Thanks!

In good light, you should be able to get very sharp images from DNG files. here is an example:

Attachments

• DJI_0130from dng.jpg
    DJI_0130from dng.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998