BANGKOK is a NO FLY ZONE so don't even try

Ask people around if they don't mind
Usually they don't, if they do, change the place
Ask hotel staff for permission. Be nice and polite and respectful

If u wanna stay legal - go through paperwork but then ABOVE applies anyway

At the airport - don't freak out. Keep batteries separate and flat

Emirates does not allow u to keep drone on board so u gotta check it in
Air Asia responded to me ,it's ok to keep it in hand luggage

Local people will appreciate if you ask for permission and happily join you for dronie. Foreigners usually will ask for a price or your Instagram

Enjoy your flights

Mickey

Ps. Any questions - ask. I'll try to the best of my knowledge... I'm in BKK, Phuket and Krabi.
Till 3rd march 2019

Reactions: Former Member
First hand news
Bring in your Mavic
Fly safe ... Away from crowds, temples, national parks

BANGKOK is a NO FLY ZONE so don't even try

Ask people around if they don't mind
Usually they don't, if they do, change the place
Ask hotel staff for permission. Be nice and polite and respectful

If u wanna stay legal - go through paperwork but then ABOVE applies anyway

At the airport - don't freak out. Keep batteries separate and flat

Emirates does not allow u to keep drone on board so u gotta check it in
Air Asia responded to me ,it's ok to keep it in hand luggage

Local people will appreciate if you ask for permission and happily join you for dronie. Foreigners usually will ask for a price or your Instagram

Enjoy your flights

Mickey

Ps. Any questions - ask. I'll try to the best of my knowledge... I'm in BKK, Phuket and Krabi.
Till 3rd march 2019
So you had no issues with customs and your drone coming into Bangkok?

Confirmed !!
U can bring it in . Happy flying. Going to try to fly in Ao Nang and Railey Beach.

Feel free to check my dronie on IG: maksymilianus
And please do not consider it as advertisement.
It's just to give some kind of proof

Happy flying.

Hey Mickey, thanks for making this post. Did you go through the registration process with the CAAT and NBTC? Anything we should be aware of when registering or going to the NBTC office? I just submitted my CAAT registration request a few days ago, hoping that ~3 months is enough time to get a reply.

Hey Mickey, thanks for making this post. Did you go through the registration process with the CAAT and NBTC? Anything we should be aware of when registering or going to the NBTC office? I just submitted my CAAT registration request a few days ago, hoping that ~3 months is enough time to get a reply.

No, mate. Had no time for paper stuff to be honest.
I really wanted tho, but I would fly back home before even get the registration.
Got my Mavic two weeks before entering TH as I bought it in HK.

I rely on the kindness of the local people. If they are fine - I fly up and they are more then welcome for dronie (at least)
If not ... I move to another place

Most of all .... Say yes , especially in the remote areas like when I drive scooter and stop for a water/food break

So far , been flying :
- VERY outside BKK and just above the villa I was staying in because of the airports, so I didn't want to get in trouble
- Thai's roads without traffic to make some nice b-rolls
- Patong Beach on the sunset - just find some clear spot on the side of the beach - start up from hand and send it away over the sea vice flying over heads (I was looking 30 minutes for a place before take off) ... Be prepared for people asking you for your social media.
- island hopping tour from Phuket (been flying pretty much at every stop and even managed to do a FOLLOW our boat after socializing with the crew and passengers (being talkative helps)
- in Krabi gotta be more careful due to many private beaches considered as a part of National Park... Been flying over Tiger Mountain, Huai Tho waterfall (just a quick one UP and DOWN), Ao Nang beach (Pai Plong is beautiful but it's a big fat NO from the Resort and the Guard)

Tomorrow going to try Tonsai, Rei Ley, Hong Island, during kayaking, then I will move to Lanta - my last stop.

Wanna visit also Hot springs and Emerald pool but because it's a National Park and it's a middle of the jungle, so I won't even bother to take Mavic with me...

Before keyboard warriors start their

I fly low and short. This is just a toy but I am aware of how much danger it can cause if in wrong hands.
I had good intentions to fill up all forms, was reading all the scary stories on almost every forum before I got here. Honestly ??? I was scared like hell. But I found out there is no restrictions from bringing Mavic in. Going out through customs is with no problems (in my case)

Air Asia allows you to get your drone in your hand luggage. I was flying from BKK to Phuket. Just tell them that you have it. And keep batteries separate.

I just urge you to be aware of surroundings, don't be afraid to ask for permission to fly from managers or staff in some random resorts and speak at least with a few guests staying in.

I am sure ... If most of us will use the common sense, none of us will get in trouble... I was literally having diarrhea before flying here... Too many scary stories.

Happy flying !

Mickey

Reactions: Dreaming_in_color
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! It sounds like politeness and discretion goes a very long way. I will be headed to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Krabi, and onto Singapore after.

Also, nice dronie style shot on your IG!

Have a fantastic rest of your trip, and thanks for helping me (and surely others) who have been equally nervous about flying in Thailand.

Cheers

Alright guys well, for anybody else curious about this topic I just got an e-mail back from the CAAT regarding my registration attempt (which they rejected). I bolded the part about the insurance because that's something I can't really overcome. Here is what it said...

"Dear Registrant
For those who wish to apply for a license to use UAV (Drone) in Thailand. Currently, the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) have developed the website for online registration. Therefore, every applicants can apply via www.caat.or.th/uav from 16th July 2018 onwards.
For your information, to be able to use drone in Thailand, you have to register with CAAT and NBTC.
Waiting time depends on accuracy of your attached documents. For example:
1. Thai Visa or Immigration Arrival Stamps (Background check is valid for 1 year to guarantee that you are not one of the blacklist person. Please attach Thai Visa or Immigration Arrival Stamps during 2017 - 2018.) is a must to be attached. If you attach ONLY your passport showing photograph and identification page, your registration will be HOLD.
2. Insurance Policy
If the word "Drone" , "Third Party or Public Liability Coverage" and "Worldwide Coverage" and Period of your insurance policy are not mentioned on insurance policy, it will be REJECTED
If you attach membership card from Drone Association or Club showing that third party will be covered, you must attach Insurance Policy Schedule as well."

Honestly, I'm pretty annoyed and disappointed. They make it so convoluted and difficult, I really don't know how anybody who isn't a Thai resident is supposed to get this done. I want to follow the rules, but they are making it prohibitively difficult to do so.

Meanwhile in the real world even Thai Nationals have stopped trying to register as the system has come to a grinding halt and people are flying freely without any interference providing its not in a national park or sensitive area.

Its a country with many rules and almost zero enforcement. That goes to anything from business licences, traffic rules, drones and everything else.

Reactions: xdronedk
Confirmed !!
U can bring it in . Happy flying. Going to try to fly in Ao Nang and Railey Beach.

Feel free to check my dronie on IG: maksymilianus
And please do not consider it as advertisement.
It's just to give some kind of proof

Happy flying.

I think I just started following you on IG my IG is simlpecleanhook. I'd love to get more details on where you shot in Thailand. I'm heading there in a few weeks and it looks like I won't have time to register my drone (would love to know of any way to reg and get insurance in less then 14 days) but it sounds like as long as I follow the common sense rules I should be ok. How do you know what is a National Park? What was the name of the tour you went on. Again would love to get more details.

I'm also going to the Philippines (Cebu & Manila) if anyone has any suggestions of where to fly there I'd love to hear about it. From what I can tell the Philippines is much more relaxed in terms of drone laws.

thanks

If anyone knows of some good places to fly in Thailand without registering PLEASE send them my way!!!

If anyone knows of some good places to fly in Thailand without registering PLEASE send them my way!!!
This thread has links to some video I took around Phuket area

I'm also going to the Philippines (Cebu & Manila) if anyone has any suggestions of where to fly there I'd love to hear about it. From what I can tell the Philippines is much more relaxed in terms of drone laws.

thanks

I've never flown in Manila; I always seem to be in places too close to the airport.

In Cebu, I visited Oslob and flew nearby, but didn't fly over the area where one can swim with the whale sharks. I flew extensively from the western side of Cebu around the resort town of Moalboal and at Kawasan Falls. I didn't do any flying over Cebu City.

If you get a chance to visit Coron, about an hour from Manila, I can't recommend it enough. The diving and droning are spectacular.Coron 3.png

I've never flown in Manila; I always seem to be in places too close to the airport.

In Cebu, I visited Oslob and flew nearby, but didn't fly over the area where one can swim with the whale sharks. I flew extensively from the western side of Cebu around the resort town of Moalboal and at Kawasan Falls. I didn't do any flying over Cebu City.

If you get a chance to visit Coron, about an hour from Manila, I can't recommend it enough. The diving and droning are spectacular.View attachment 75986
Second Coron. Went there a few years back. The wreck diving is fantastic. 2 or three different wrecks every day and all at reasonable depth. Also diving in a lake in the middle of an Island.

Philippnes is pretty easy to fly. Just be aware of the CAAP rules. The 10km from all airports is the one that catches most people out, especially on small islands. Do NOT rely on DJI Geo as it doesnt apply this rule to its NFZs.
Also be aware some places require LGU permits to fly (Boracay and Batanes for example) so check that.

Outside those limitations you can pretty much do whatever you want,anywhere within CAAP rulings.

Ive just finished a month there shooting extensively in Cebu (Malapascua), Bohol, Camiguin and Boracay. Last year i did El Nido and Palawan along with Banaue/Batad.

I'd love to get more details on where you shot in Thailand. I'm heading there in a few weeks and it looks like I won't have time to register my drone (would love to know of any way to reg and get insurance in less then 14 days) but it sounds like as long as I follow the common sense rules I should be ok. How do you know what is a National Park? What was the name of the tour you went on. Again would love to get more details.

Thailand national parks are clearly signed and also on maps. They're hard to miss. Also remember Thailand is a strict military dictatorship so they can randomly ban other flights too. If its a military area, police station or any gathering of people (especially if it looks political or like a protest) stay well well away. The police also like "tea money" funding if they decide to push things too, even if you are legit.

Ultimately though common sense wins through, do it somewhere quiet, unobtrusive and you'll be fine. This time of year is the monsoon season so you're going to be limited to flying in the gulf and that side as well. The weather on the west will be too poor for a few months.

Philippnes is pretty easy to fly. Just be aware of the CAAP rules. The 10km from all airports is the one that catches most people out, especially on small islands. Do NOT rely on DJI Geo as it doesnt apply this rule to its NFZs.
Also be aware some places require LGU permits to fly (Boracay and Batanes for example) so check that.

Outside those limitations you can pretty much do whatever you want,anywhere within CAAP rulings.

Ive just finished a month there shooting extensively in Cebu (Malapascua), Bohol, Camiguin and Boracay. Last year i did El Nido and Palawan along with Banaue/Batad.

Thailand national parks are clearly signed and also on maps. They're hard to miss. Also remember Thailand is a strict military dictatorship so they can randomly ban other flights too. If its a military area, police station or any gathering of people (especially if it looks political or like a protest) stay well well away. The police also like "tea money" funding if they decide to push things too, even if you are legit.

Ultimately though common sense wins through, do it somewhere quiet, unobtrusive and you'll be fine. This time of year is the monsoon season so you're going to be limited to flying in the gulf and that side as well. The weather on the west will be too poor for a few months.

Any specific locations in cebu that would be great to capture?

What’s a typical “tea money” fee?

Also what happens if I get caught flying without registration in Thailand?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_