DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 The Forgotten Church of St John, Whittingham, Preston

Paul Iddon

Reactions
The now, sadly derelict, Church of St John, comprising of a chancel, nave, aisles and a tower, was built in the grounds of the County Lunatic Asylum, Whittingham.As with all Victorian Institutions of the day, religion played a great part and, it was to this end that a Church was built within the grounds and was named St John's.

The contract for the erection of a Church and a Chaplain's house was awarded in September 1871, estimated costings being £4,632.00 and £1,579. 8s 2d respectively.An organ was purchased and installed in the Church at a cost of £250. St John's Church was Church of England, and provision for Roman Catholics was made in a room set aside in one of the wards. In June 1875 the Church was licensed by the Bishop of Manchester.

The first hospital chaplain was the Rev W T Palmour. The Asylum cemetery was consecrated in 1895, again by the Bishop of Manchester and the chaplain was subsequently awarded 2/6d for each burial service performed.

J. Pachelbel - Canon in D Major (Arranged by Lee Galloway) performed by Kassia.

Paul.

Another amazing video! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Paul Iddon
Last edited:
Nice flying, especially with the added historical note.

Thank you. I feel its always good to have a bit of a storyline where possible - helps set the tone.

Paul.

The now, sadly derelict, Church of St John, comprising of a chancel, nave, aisles and a tower, was built in the grounds of the County Lunatic Asylum, Whittingham.As with all Victorian Institutions of the day, religion played a great part and, it was to this end that a Church was built within the grounds and was named St John's.

The contract for the erection of a Church and a Chaplain's house was awarded in September 1871, estimated costings being £4,632.00 and £1,579. 8s 2d respectively.An organ was purchased and installed in the Church at a cost of £250. St John's Church was Church of England, and provision for Roman Catholics was made in a room set aside in one of the wards. In June 1875 the Church was licensed by the Bishop of Manchester.

The first hospital chaplain was the Rev W T Palmour. The Asylum cemetery was consecrated in 1895, again by the Bishop of Manchester and the chaplain was subsequently awarded 2/6d for each burial service performed.

Paul.
Paul! That was simply PERFECT!!!
The very deliberately smooth flying and the Pachelbel Canon track were made for each other. A beautiful work. Loved every second. That church is a real "fixer-upper." Lots of chlorine wash and replacing a few of the stained glass windows and it would be as good as new.

Dale
Miami

• Love
Beautifully done, as usual. Would like to have seen a few shots from far enough away to see the building in its entirety and some inside shots (probably not possible) would also have been interesting. Thanks for posting this and the other great vids you have done.

Paul:
A relaxing and very well done video. Recently in viewing some of the excellent posts in this forum i have become very interested in photogrammetry as a documentary tool for future generations once these classic and never-to-be-built-again, iconic buildings are rubble.
I love Dale’s comment and it would be wonderful if someone did repair it before it is unrepairable.
I would love to see photogrammetry of this beautiful building, and then see someone 3d print it and sell it to Legos for a model.
If I were in England, I would limber up the Mini 3 and get it sorted.

Paul.
Really nice showcase of a Victorian 'gothic' building. Good choice for background music too. Like a few others have mentioned, an establishing shot of the whole structure in it's historic context would have put the cherry on top of a beautifully iced video.

Yes excellent vid and good to have the background to the building. How times have changed!

Thank you - hopefully time will change this church for the better.

Paul.

Paul! That was simply PERFECT!!!
The very deliberately smooth flying and the Pachelbel Canon track were made for each other. A beautiful work. Loved every second. That church is a real "fixer-upper." Lots of chlorine wash and replacing a few of the stained glass windows and it would be as good as new.

Dale
Miami

Thank you Dale - a wonderful compliment. Fingers crossed for an effective future renovation!

Paul.

Beautifully done, as usual. Would like to have seen a few shots from far enough away to see the building in its entirety and some inside shots (probably not possible) would also have been interesting. Thanks for posting this and the other great vids you have done.

Cheers Jim. Sadly, the church is encompassed in old trees all around, so little chance of much more from above, and going high would have shown too much of the awful housebuilding...

Paul.

You showed the church beautifully. It’s criminal to allow such a historic building get in that state. Yes, a shot further away and I am curious about its interior

7 to 8 feet tall high security fencing surrounded the building - no way in to see inside sadly.

Paul.

Paul:
A relaxing and very well done video. Recently in viewing some of the excellent posts in this forum i have become very interested in photogrammetry as a documentary tool for future generations once these classic and never-to-be-built-again, iconic buildings are rubble.
I love Dale’s comment and it would be wonderful if someone did repair it before it is unrepairable.
I would love to see photogrammetry of this beautiful building, and then see someone 3d print it and sell it to Legos for a model.
If I were in England, I would limber up the Mini 3 and get it sorted.

Photogrammetry is beyond me PHZ - just flying is my limit! :)

Paul.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147