DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 The Haunting Ruins of Cwmystwyth Mines

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I recently started making videos of cool stuff in my local area of Wales, UK. The location is called Cwmystwyth, pronounced "Coom-Us-Twith". It means Valley of the River Ystwyth. This area was famous for lead mining in the 19th and early 20th century. Hope you enjoy watching!
Fascinating and well edited, in fact so good I wanted more when it ended!

Reactions: mavictk
Fascinating and well edited, in fact so good I wanted more when it ended!
Thanks for saying this! I have 5 earlier videos on my YouTube channel, but they are a slightly different format and don't contain as much factual information. They are all filmed in the same part of Wales, though.

Very nice James,
I personally don't mind lengthy clips if the subject is interesting and well done as this one.
Thanks and welcome James.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I recently started making videos of cool stuff in my local area of Wales, UK. The location is called Cwmystwyth, pronounced "Coom-Us-Twith". It means Valley of the River Ystwyth. This area was famous for lead mining in the 19th and early 20th century. Hope you enjoy watching!
Nice video- would been even nicer with a music track

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Awesome video!

I hardly ever watch a scenic video over three minutes as most of them repeat, repeat, repeat. However, with your historical description of every building or mine I watched it with interest all the way to the end. Very nice job.

I hardly ever watch a scenic video over three minutes as most of them repeat, repeat, repeat. However, with your historical description of every building or mine I watched it with interest all the way to the end. Very nice job.
Thank you, that is a really encouraging and generous thing to say.

Beautifuly mix of shooting, editing music choice, and narration. I've been to abandoned mining sites in the western U.S. and they all have that eerie quietness. You captured the scene wonderfully. I agree with the length struggle. If I'm not hooked in the first 45-60 seconds, I move on. You had me til the end. In the past I've read about Welsh miners coming out of the mines singing old hymns as they went home now I see one of the places they were coming from. Thanks again and welcome.

Beautifuly mix of shooting, editing music choice, and narration. I've been to abandoned mining sites in the western U.S. and they all have that eerie quietness. You captured the scene wonderfully. I agree with the length struggle. If I'm not hooked in the first 45-60 seconds, I move on. You had me til the end. In the past I've read about Welsh miners coming out of the mines singing old hymns as they went home now I see one of the places they were coming from. Thanks again and welcome.
Thank you. Life expectancy was very short for the miners, most died in their 30s. What a life. Nature is slowly erasing the scars. You can spend hours in this place and not meet another soul. It’s very special.

The haunting music suits the subject matter so well. The video length was fine for me and my interest was held throughout.

A useful addition would be the inclusion of a site map, though copyright could be an issue.

The haunting music suits the subject matter so well. The video length was fine for me and my interest was held throughout.

A useful addition would be the inclusion of a site map, though copyright could be an issue.
Thanks and glad you liked the music. I aim to write a custom soundtrack for each video on my channel. I have used maps on my other videos (with limited success!), however I couldn't find one of the current layout of the mine. The British Mining Journal I used only featured maps of older incarnations of the mine, so I had to go off descriptions from old photos to identify the original function of the ruined buildings.

Very cool. You seem to have a knack for this.
Every video is a learning curve! The one I'm working on at the moment has thrown so many issues at me, and I'm not even flying the drone much (have to use it handheld a lot) - today I will do my 5th visit to the location to try and get the blasted thing finished!

Reactions: Kilboar
Well done James. Like the history of it, really tells a story of the past. The music was perfect for the subject. The video was smooth and panned just right. Perfect! I like it a lot!

Well done James. Set up the context of the mine right from the start then documented the different areas, and answered some questions like where did the power come from to drive the waterwheel.
Watched through from start to finish in one go so suspect it's more about one's interest etc etc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13