DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic is awesome

Mike357

Reactions
Had my mavic about a fortnight, I wanted to upgrade from my p3s as the range even with dbs antenna mod installed seemed a bit low, with unreliable signal at 3000 ft out. Today did a distance test flying from Bluebell hill in Kent. The weather was a bit windy but still managed to get 15,199 ft before I turned round to come home, still had 3 bars signal for the control and the video but didn't want to chance any further in the gusty winds. I am completely blown away by the distance and handling of this machine. Can't wait to go back and try further on a calm day.
ae4b7966f7b96ceca142740dc4135333.jpg

19f6c95987330afa08ff87763b522224.jpg

Will have to take video next time, can't believe I forgot to hit record lol

Last edited:
Reactions: ayoungh
Had my mavic about a fortnight, I wanted to upgrade from my p3s as the range even with dbs antenna mod installed seemed a bit low, with unreliable signal at 3000 ft out. Today did a distance test flying from Bluebell hill in Kent. The weather was a bit windy but still managed to get 15,199 ft before I turned round to come home...

So, is it because of people like you that we're now about to get mandatory drone registration in the UK? Just asking...

So, is it because of people like you that we're now about to get mandatory drone registration in the UK? Just asking...

Probably due to those who insist on flying near airports, above height limits, close to buildings or above densely populated areas, non of which applied here. I could clearly see there were no other aircraft in the area and enjoyed a pleasant RURAL flight. Have a great day, enjoy your mavic!

Hi,

Don't mean to be a buzz-kill as another poster has already accused me of being! I'm asking because I'm new to the drone world and want to do things right. I know the reasons why we might be about to get a clamp down is due to people flying recklessly near airport etc - something you're obviously not doing. However, I thought one of the "rules" in the UK is that you have to maintain LoS of the drone at all times. From where you flew from can you really go that far and still maintain LoS? If so, i need to come and fly there! :)

Yep, I could actually see the mavic to just over 5000 ft and once I passed that distance I had an unobstructed view of where I knew the Mavic was. I do agree that may be pushing the vlos definition, though I must say Visual LINE OF SIGHT does not imply you must be able to physically see it. I'm sure registration will be implemented into law soon, and do welcome that idea, should the laws be revised to include a maximum distance then I will surely have to comply. In the meantime so long as the flight can be deemed safe, allowing for the common sense restrictions and competency acquired by practice, then I am happy to fly within the current controls.
I was flying from a cliff edge picnic area off Bluebell Hill in Kent (close to the M2Junction 3). Wonderful spot for flying, can see for miles[emoji3]

Reactions: treytexag

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986