DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Only Reason for buying Zoom

heo3480

Reactions
Strongly disagree; he doesn't know what he's talking about. In his demonstration he only cropped at the closer distance, and then compared that crop with the optical zoom from farther away. If he had also cropped from that distance and compared with the optical zoom the mavic in the background would have been the same size. Maybe more in focus because of different depth of field, but not any size difference. Perspective and compression is a function of distance, not focal length! I cant believe how many people get this wrong! So once again, yes, you can do the dolly zoom effect in post, so long as your camera is moving closer or farther away during the shot, and the foreground to background scale shift will be identical. The only difference would be that with the optical version the background might get a little more blurry, but only slightly because with a small sensor and long distance away depth of field is very deep even with a 48mm equivalent lens..

The only difference would be that with the optical version the background might get a little more blurry, but only slightly because with a small sensor and long distance away depth of field is very deep even with a 48mm equivalent lens..

Its not even that, if you do the maths once you hit 6m or more for subject distance you're into infinity focus. Most people will be a lot further away than that (at least id hope so!)

Alot of people you can put in the camp of non professional photographers...
They don't know how, or care not for post production, which leaves the Pros real features moot...

Furthermore....

For me the fact of 4x lossless zoom in real time flight as the transmission is 1080p is game changing, and one of the features I was waiting for on a drone...
I do alot of scouting for wildlife on the off season...
Being able to be 100 meters up while zooming in to have the aspect of being 25 meters without wildlife being disturbed is huge for me...

Last edited:
If you thought the M1 camera was acceptable you'll be happy with the zoom for sure. If you only do facebook and social media stuff the quality is more than likely perfectly fine.

(its got 2x zoom not 4. Zooming then cropping doesnt count!).

If you thought the M1 camera was acceptable you'll be happy with the zoom for sure. If you only do facebook and social media stuff the quality is more than likely perfectly fine.

(its got 2x zoom not 4. Zooming then cropping doesnt count!).

Your thinking for photos...Yes the additional 2x is cropped and you will see a lose in quality if you were to go and get them printed...For FHD (1080p) video and the live feed on your phone the 4x Zoom is lossless on image quality as your aspect is 1080p and no higher on live feed.

Reactions: Golfez and Kilrah
Live feed maybe ok for spotting.
For actual usage footing, far better to crop in post.

Reactions: Golfez
Your thinking for photos...Yes the additional 2x is cropped and you will see a lose in quality if you were to go and get them printed...For FHD (1080p) video and the live feed on your phone the 4x Zoom is lossless on image quality as your aspect is 1080p and no higher on live feed.
Live feed maybe ok for spotting.
For actual usage footing, far better to crop in post.

You'll notice no difference in image quality on your phone in real time from 24mm to 96mm...The cropped zoom is lossless in 1080p format (real time feed rate)...

Like I said alot of people don't do post...

Well cropping in always going to be lossless unless you then resize it.

Well cropping in always going to be lossless unless you then resize it.

If you have a mavic 1 you can 2x digital zoom, but the quality is atrocious....I'd hazard a guess and say its lower then 480p at 2x on live feed:D

Reactions: christ
Strongly disagree; he doesn't know what he's talking about. In his demonstration he only cropped at the closer distance, and then compared that crop with the optical zoom from farther away. If he had also cropped from that distance and compared with the optical zoom the mavic in the background would have been the same size. Maybe more in focus because of different depth of field, but not any size difference. Perspective and compression is a function of distance, not focal length! I cant believe how many people get this wrong! So once again, yes, you can do the dolly zoom effect in post, so long as your camera is moving closer or farther away during the shot, and the foreground to background scale shift will be identical. The only difference would be that with the optical version the background might get a little more blurry, but only slightly because with a small sensor and long distance away depth of field is very deep even with a 48mm equivalent lens..

You have exactly proven my point, that there is no difference in the zoomed image cropped to the same size. Later in the video, I show what happens to the background when you add distance in combination with a change in focal length aka lens compression, making the background appear closer.

Thanks

In post nothing is forced. The framing is only "forced" doing it on the drone itself.

Many struggles with the decision about buying Mavic 2 Zoom or Mavic 2 Pro, but as I see it there is Only 1 Reason for buying DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Do you agree or disagree?

Fully agree. Eventually someone nailed it. All the rest of the herd just speak about megapixels (as if it were the only major point of the M2P - the most important is variable aperture) and cropping without even getting to the physics.

My reason was for this.keeping strictly on the "50m bubble" as laid down by the UK CAA I can get these pictures. (will be even better when I can better operate zoom,yaw and tilt. 1080 25 fps H265 cloudy setting otherwise rest auto. No filter and no processing.

Image quality seems a great improvement over the first Mavic Series, isn't it? Supposing that's the SD card video and not the smartphone cache.

Many struggles with the decision about buying Mavic 2 Zoom or Mavic 2 Pro, but as I see it there is Only 1 Reason for buying DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Do you agree or disagree?

Lens compression is a myth. He is wrong. Compression (perspective) comes from distance to the subject. Whether you zoom or crop, if the distance is the same, the compression is the same.

Reactions: 0Kajuna0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots