DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Only Reason for buying Zoom

Strongly disagree; he doesn't know what he's talking about. In his demonstration he only cropped at the closer distance, and then compared that crop with the optical zoom from farther away. If he had also cropped from that distance and compared with the optical zoom the mavic in the background would have been the same size. Maybe more in focus because of different depth of field, but not any size difference. Perspective and compression is a function of distance, not focal length! I cant believe how many people get this wrong! So once again, yes, you can do the dolly zoom effect in post, so long as your camera is moving closer or farther away during the shot, and the foreground to background scale shift will be identical. The only difference would be that with the optical version the background might get a little more blurry, but only slightly because with a small sensor and long distance away depth of field is very deep even with a 48mm equivalent lens..
Sorry, but compression is a matter of focal length!

Sorry, but compression is a matter of focal length!
That's a common misconception. Cropping a wide angle shot gives the same compression as shooting with a longer focal length as long as the subject distance does not change. Here is a cropped 28 mm vs 100 mm, both at the same distance.

Attachments

• compression test 1920.jpg
    compression test 1920.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 31
I have both the zoom and the pro. The zoom is great as it can find the subject that I want to shoot The Find is the hard part to do in post.

I mainly use the camera drones to capture my maiden flights of Scale helis and fixed wing aircraft. The zoom is great for finding objects that you just cant get close enough to, due to either frightening the object, like my cats, or braking the law.

So I chose the best of both worlds.

IMG_0683.JPG this is what I do with mavic1, if I'm at 50 ft how much better is the zoom going to be? (video mainly)

Sure did. I really enjoy finding the boys, like hide and seek, the other day found 7 bucks together 5, I would hunt.

Beans are starting to dry here so it's going to get harder. Just would like to see a 50 to 100 ft shot comparison between 1 and zoom. Could be great for what I do.

It's great!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman