DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Petitioners in the Brennan v. FAA Remote ID lawsuit

Yea the Judges seemed to wipe the floor with the FAAs argument that without enforcement action there is no search and called BS on the FAAs argument that the FAA isn’t going to look at the data. If the FAA isn’t going to look at the data what is the point 😂.

The Judges seemed clear that if you fly entirely on your property below the tree line the FAA has no business requiring you to transmit your location.

Right, the FAA's counsel could not explain why remote ID is necessary in those circumstances. All he could do is repeat Karo, Karo, Karo.

United States v Karo, 468 U.S. 705 (1984) is another beeper tracker case:

After a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent learned that Karo had ordered 50 gallons of ether from a Government informant, who had told the agent that the ether was to be used to extract cocaine from clothing that had been imported into the United States, the Government obtained a court order authorizing the installation and monitoring of a beeper in one of cans of ether. With the informant's consent, DEA agents substituted their own can containing a beeper for one of the cans in the shipment.

The FAA is saying we have the same right to track every 250 gram+ drone in the country that the DEA has to track ether, methylamine, and other chemicals used in illegal drug manufacture after getting the permission of an informer and a search warrant based on probable cause.

Getting back to JR's presentation. I want to watch video to see the body language and facial expressions. JR's rebuttal maybe could have been clearer. But, he really did not have to say anything more at that point. The court pinned down the FAA during its presentation and nothing more needed to be said. If you read JR's Reply Brief submitted before the argument then you can see how the issues he framed dominated the entire discussion.

ON PETITION FOR REVIEW OF A FINAL RULE OF THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION

REPLY BRIEF OF PETITIONERS

Excerpts From Reply Brief--Statement of Issues

REMOTE ID DOES VIOLATE THE FOURTH AMENDMENT

Reasonable Expectation of Privacy

Special Privacy Considerations for Aircraft in the Sky do Not Apply to Drones Low to the Ground

Mandatory Installation of GPS is a Search

Intended Law Enforcement Use

No Special Needs Exception Applies

The Argument is Ripe for Consideration

Counsel for Petitioners

Jonathan Rupprecht, Rupprecht Law, P.A.800 Village Sq. 331 Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Elizabeth Candelario, Parlatore Law Group, LLP1300 Pennsylvania Ave, NW Washington, DC

Kathleen Yodice, Law Offices of Yodice Associates 12505 Park Potomac Ave Suite 600 Potomac, MD

Reactions: brett8883
Brett, more on "special needs" at pgs. 15-16 in JR's Reply Brief. The brief includes this quote from court case:

"Even when government claims special need, a warrantless search is generally unreasonable unless based on some quantum of individual suspicion (of criminal activity)."

The FAA's position as stated during the hearing is that the mere possibility that someone may commit a criminal act with a drone while flying below 400 feet on private property necessitates remote ID tracking. That is consistent with what we have been told by insiders--that FAA's position is driven 100% by perceived interests of law enforcement.

Brennan's Reply Brief

Reactions: brett8883
Comment from Brendan Schulman on facebook.

"Brendan Schulman
LOTS of questions from the judges on the FAA low-altitude jurisdiction issue, what airspace is “navigable,” minimum safe altitude, “private” airspace below treetops, and drone trespass. If the rule is overturned on the basis that low-altitude airspace is private property outside FAA jurisdiction, brace yourself for endless state, county and local regulation of drone operations. I make no predictions here about outcome."
I would much rather have the FAA regulate instead of 50 different states and 200 counties or more per state, all different, some may then require local registration (not tracking) or have weird rules and limits.

But that's just my opinion. I don't like the public transmission of RID, but really, all this fear if fines is ridiculous. If they were going to fine you for exceeding 400', they would first have to investigate and ensure it wasn't exceeded for operational safety, meaning not only data, but request a flight log and explanation from the pilot before a fine, why? Because the rules do allow a pilot to exceed those limits in many cases for safety or other reasonable operational requirements.

Let's not muddy waters with misinformation. Enough of us have certificates, and if the faa wanted to ticket people, they could just use YouTube where people admit violations all the time, yet rarely get fined.

I just don't want local antidrone governments to have the rights to prevent flights and cut off sections, where you won't even know if it's legal or not.

Posted by Brendan Schulman:

The Petitioners in the Brennan v. FAA Remote ID lawsuit have filed their final brief, and here it is. In my opinion, the argument that FAA Remote ID violates a privacy interest because low altitude airspace is actually private property (citing the Causby case) is a huge strategic blunder. If that argument is successful, it will trigger a flood of state and local regulations and prohibitions on drone use. (Because local government can regulate what is not regulated by the federal government.) Based on past experience, such regulation will be particularly problematic for recreational drone users such as the FPV community. I make no prediction as to whether the argument, or other arguments, will succeed. Oral argument is scheduled for December 15.
Before he went to work as General Counsel for DJI, Brendan Schulman was a private WA DC lawyer. As a private lawyer, he represented Raphael Pirker who had been fined $10,000 by the FAA for flying recklessly over the U of Virginia campus. In that case, Schulman argued the FAA has no jurisdiction below navigable airspace which starts at 500 feet. I believe what he said in a filing requesting dismissal of fines was:

The FAA lacks jurisdiction. At a minimum, partial dismissal of the Complaint is warranted as to all allegations
concerning operation at very low altitudes, inside a tunnel,
below tree top level, or underneath a pedestrian overpass because these locations are not “navigable airspace” subject to FAA jurisdiction. See 49 U.S.C. § 40102
(“navigable airspace means airspace above the minimum altitudes of flight prescribed by regulations . . . including
airspace needed to ensure safety in the takeoff and landing of aircraft").

If Schulman made that argument for Pirker, why is it so terrible and dangerous for J. Rupprecht to make the exact same argument for Race Day Quads? What exactly has changed?

....it will trigger a flood of state and local regulations and prohibitions on drone use.

Like what? Many state and local governments all over the country have already passed laws prohibiting taking off, flying or landing on public property with the encouragement and assistance of the FAA. They already have authority to enforce existing trespass, nuisance, reckless endangerment, invasion of privacy laws.

During the oral argument in Race Day Quads, the FAA was asked why is it legal or necessary for the FAA to regulate drones "down to the ground." This would have been the perfect time for the FAA lawyer to explain this big concern over fractionalized airspace or patch quilt of state and federal regulations. Because the question has been on the table for years. But did the FAA lawyer cite fractionalized airspace? No he did not. The only answer he gave was because someone flying a drone on their private property might lose control or possibly trespass. Listen to the judge's incredulous reaction to the FAA lawyer claiming that the FAA has the right to monitor drones down to the ground because the operator might possibly engage in a criminal act.

....it will trigger a flood of state and local regulations and prohibitions on drone use.

Like what? Many state and local governments all over the country have already passed laws prohibiting taking off, flying or landing on public property with the encouragement and assistance of the FAA. They already have authority to enforce existing trespass, nuisance, reckless endangerment, invasion of privacy laws.

I agree with what you said, local governments have already restricted drone use in a lot of places by restricting where you can take off. If they wanted to (and thought they could get away with it), they would probably have already tried to limit take off from private property. It really seems like for the most part the local governments wouldn't care about what happens above private property.

Also, the FAA will presumably still be able to regulate low altitude commercial drone use over private property due to the commerce clause, so that may deter local governments from trying to make laws for those areas.

Lastly, I wonder if it is possible that in order to maintain some control of the low altitude airspace this lawsuit could lead to a compromise with the FAA that would allow any private property owners to register as RID exempt areas? That would likely be enough to make me happy.

Lastly, I wonder if it is possible that in order to maintain some control of the low altitude airspace this lawsuit could lead to a compromise with the FAA that would allow any private property owners to register as RID exempt areas? That would likely be enough to make me happy.
Very good question. IMHO, the climax of the court hearing was when Judge Wilkinson asked the FAA counsel: "what do you want me to do?" He was searching for a compromise, one that would appropriately balance privacy/4th Am concerns with FAA goals and objectives.

My impression was that the FAA counsel politely stated no we cannot compromise, we would have to start from scratch if you invalidate the regulation. There was brief exchange about a possible waiver system that would allow UAV pilots to request exemption from remote ID based on location and other factors. But no concrete compromise was suggested.
I am waiting for the video to be released by the court so I can go back and watch that exchange and a few others.

If you ask the question "should the FAA be able to regulate flying a drone at or below tree top level on private property" my guess is 99% of the population would say absolutely not. The argument I've heard for giving the FAA that authority is the possibility of a fly away. In my mind that argument, which centers around mitigating risk, is total nonsense. While I think RID has a place, the airspace under 100 or 200 feet above private property should not be regulated by federal, state or local government as far as recreational flying is concerned.

If you ask the question "should the FAA be able to regulate flying a drone at or below tree top level on private property" my guess is 99% of the population would say absolutely not. The argument I've heard for giving the FAA that authority is the possibility of a fly away. In my mind that argument, which centers around mitigating risk, is total nonsense. While I think RID has a place, the airspace under 100 or 200 feet above private property should not be regulated by federal, state or local government as far as recreational flying is concerned.
Right. The FAA told the DC Court of Appeal that the risk of a fly away is the justification for remote ID. And the FAA's Exhibit 1 in support of the argument was the "fly away" Phantom that crashed into a tree on the White House in 2015. If you do not know the details here are a few excerpted from a New York Times article but there are many all over the internet. The important facts to know are:

1. The pilot worked for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) and had top secret clearance;
2. The pilot was admittedly drunk and flying at 3:00 am;
3. The pilot knew the drone flew away but just went to bed and fell asleep;
4. The Secret Service described the incident as nothing but a little "drunken misadventure;"
5. The federal government protected the pilot's identity who was not charged with a crime.

In case you are wondering about the NGA, it says that it “delivers world-class geospatial intelligence that provides a decisive advantage to policymakers, military service members, intelligence professionals and first responders. Anyone who sails a U.S. ship, flies a U.S. aircraft, makes national policy decisions, fights wars, locates targets, responds to natural disasters, or even navigates with a cellphone relies on NGA.”

That is right. The drone crime of the century according to the FAA was perpetrated by a drunk federal agent with a security clearance who was not charged with a crime.

White House Drone Crash Described as a U.S. Worker’s Drunken Lark

New York Times Article--Excerpts

By Michael D. Shear and Michael S. Schmidt

Jan. 27, 2015

WASHINGTON — It was 42 degrees and raining lightly around 3 a.m. on Monday when an inebriated off-duty employee for a government intelligence agency decided it was a good time to fly his friend’s drone, a 2-foot-by-2-foot “quadcopter” that sells for hundreds of dollars and is popular among hobbyists.

But officials say the plan was foiled, perhaps by wind or a tree, when the employee — who has not been named by the Secret Service or charged with a crime — lost control of the drone as he operated it from an apartment just blocks from the White House.

He texted his friends, worried that the drone had gone down on the White House grounds, and then went to sleep. It was not until the next morning, when he woke and learned from friends that a drone had been found at the White House, that he contacted his employer, the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. He then called the Secret Service and immediately began cooperating with an investigation into the incident.

He told the Secret Service that he was using the drone recreationally and didn't mean to fly it over the White House, said a U.S. official speaking on condition of anonymity.

In the process of what officials describe as nothing more than a drunken misadventure, the employee managed to highlight another vulnerability in the protective shield that the Secret Service erects around the White House complex.

BUT DO NOT WORRY
: Officials said at the time the device posed no threat.

*BTW The Secret Service came under scrutiny around the same time (2015) for its incredibly lax White House security. An independent review concluded that it needs to build a better fence and hire more officers.

The incident prompted DJI to create DC geofencing in weeks. The Secret Service? What did they do in last six years to protect the physical security of the White House? I cannot find anything on the internet but maybe someone put a memo in a file or something.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3