DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The real cost of idiots on YOUTUBE?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol as expected the 'enablers' have arrived. But that's freedom of speech, god bless the democracy. Condoning illegal behaviour must be the new thing.

Reactions: Drone Police
Wow. This thread is a one huge drone-police bukakke circle-jerk. A great opportunity for the "please, take my liberty for the perception of increased safety" snowflakes to admire their own voices in this echo-chamber.

Or the I'm a rebel snowflake who ignores the law because it infringes on my liberty and stops me spying on little girls or crashing my drone through a childs head on a beach...

Reactions: Drone Police
Okay, I kept waiting for an airliner to crash or for anything to actually happen considering the title of this thread. The guy went straight up above his house, not even close to any airports btw and nothing happened. As far as the "cost" goes, it looks like that would be zero. You guys sound like members of the media these days that expect every member of a group to come out and denounce any suspected wrongdoing by even their most distant members. Just because some guy buys the same drone as I do, or any drone for that matter, doesn't suddenly make me somehow responsible for his actions or puts me in a position where I can lecture him on it's use.

I belong to several sport bike forums, I own a 2006 GSXR1000, and I don't believe it to be my duty to scour the web for squids doing stupid stuff and denouncing it. Anymore than I feel the need to denounce every burnout on the Pontiac forums just because I own one. I own several guns but I don't become outraged every time someone gets shot. When did strolling into Best Buy and purchasing a drone suddenly draft me into the Internet Drone Police? What would you have us do, start a flame war with anyone that flies over 400' or out of line of sight on Facebook or YouTube? Again, how does the fact that we both own a similar product give you the right to lecture me on it's use? Or me you? Is everyone here honestly prepared to swear that they've never lost line of sight with their Mavic? I do almost every time I fly! The dang thing is tiny and it has a 4 mile range!

I wouldn't fly quite this high myself but we don't know the particulars. Show of hands, those that have been to Crete... Yep, I have at least a dozen times. There are 3 airports that have very specific flight paths that send planes out to sea immediately. The plausibility of a 2x1x.5 object occupying the same space as an airplane is extremely low. Upon take off a commercial airliner climbs at about 2000 feet per minute or more. Helium balloons fly as high as 5 miles, perhaps fines should be levied every time one is released? I've been to events where they've released hundreds, if not thousands of balloons. How many airliners have crashed? None that I know of. How many airliners/airplanes/helicopters/ultralights/hang gliders/hot air balloons/etc have crashed because of drones? None that I know of.

More like "If you see something say something" ..... LOL!

Same 'rebel alliance' names always pop up. The unqualified, under educated with same BS arguments. Few numbers a Mavic falling from 2000m will hit the deck with the force of around 33000 lbs of force. That's not going to go well if your child is under it.

Totally agree, in general I just ignore most these videos but when people are inciting others to follow these illegal activities I'm happy to report to YT and local authority.

Do you spy on your neighbors and report any suspicious activity too!

Reactions: jwjonesjr
Same 'rebel alliance' names always pop up. The unqualified, under educated with same BS arguments. Few numbers a Mavic falling from 2000m will hit the deck with the force of around 33000 lbs of force. That's not going to go well if your child is under it.

Ahaw! Think of the children! Better odds of getting hit by a comet.

I don't disagree. I personally don't fly that high. But I do fly out of sight. My last flight was 21,505 feet at 63' altitude. At that height it can be a killer too.

The issue with this thread is it does nothing but stir emotions and invoke emotional responses. Which isn't protected by feeding of speech. In fact you don't have freedom of speech on this forum. It's not your medium. The rules forbid posting for the sake of causing a commotion or to argue.

My Mavic and I were watching that together, I got so excited, almost impaled myself with a propeller!

Im curious what laws if any were broken?

I don't disagree. I personally don't fly that high. But I do fly out of sight. My last flight was 21,505 feet at 63' altitude. At that height it can be a killer too.

The issue with this thread is it does nothing but stir emotions and invoke emotional responses. Which isn't protected by feeding of speech. In fact you don't have freedom of speech on this forum. It's not your medium. The rules forbid posting for the sake of causing a commotion or to argue.
Good point and agree.

My Mavic and I were watching that together, I got so excited, almost impaled myself with a propeller!

Im curious what laws if any were broken?
Max altitude is 120m and always have visual line of sight.

yep and you always have visual on your Mavic, right ? You must not fly father than a couple hundred feet. If you're going to be a stickler for one rule, height, you can't ignore line of sight. If you can't see it, you're in violation. Btw I don't "enable" anyone to do anything. I don't have control of what other people do to begin with. To enable, you must have some semblance of control.

I agree with you on the first but on the second you know what is said about that here so don't go there .
About the First Amendment and Your "Right to Free Speech"

We believe in the First Amendment of the US Constitution and public freedom of speech. Meanwhile, that right does not infer that others are required to publish your speech. The MavicPilots Forum is not a public resource; it is privately owned and we require members to abide by the rules and decisions of our team. If you post outside these guidelines your post may be edited or deleted - this does not violate your public right to free speech.
@UAVMan You are really coming close to # 12 & #15 in our guidelines with your threads and post as well as some other's so all please step lightly .
Please be civil in this or I will close it .

I agree with you on the first but on the second you know what is said about that here so don't go there .

@UAVMan You are really coming close to # 12 & #15 in our guidelines with your threads and post as well as some other's so all please step lightly .
Please be civil in this or I will close it .

Said perfectly. Thanks for the clarity. I was shooting from my memory. I knew it was something like that.

It is the law;-(
As a commercial pilot flying in and out of Crete, I really do not like the attitude, of "lets fly where the good pictures are and **** the rules".

Of course it is very remote, that a commercial airliner hits a drone like the Mavic, but if it does, we all do not have a problem to get good, awesome pictures, but to fly at all.

If you know what you are doing, than a flight like this poses minimal dangers to others, so who cares...

But as soon as you put it on an public plattform like youtube or this forum, some idiot, who does NOT know what he is doing, will try to get a better picture, a better performance or whatever. And that will eventually kill people and shortly thereafter our hobby!

Lets agree, that this "awesome" illegal footage should stay very, very private. How about that?

If I see something illegal, that puts my hobby and my daily work in danger, I tend to become very, very judging.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Max altitude is 120m and always have visual line of sight.
Sorry not that black and white. In Switzerland for example the recommendation is 150m max above rural areas and 300m max above urban areas.
And as you can read it is a RECOMMENDATION! So nothing stops you legally to go above these limits.

Different countries means different rules....the world does not only consist of the US of A!

It is the law;-(
As a commercial pilot flying in and out of Crete, I really do not like the attitude, of "lets fly where the good pictures are and f*** the rules".

Of course it is very remote, that a commercial airliner hits a drone like the Mavic, but if it does, we all do not have a problem to get good, awesome pictures, but to fly at all.

If you know what you are doing, than a flight like this poses minimal dangers to others, so who cares...

But as soon as you put it on an public plattform like youtube or this forum, some idiot, who does NOT know what he is doing, will try to get a better picture, a better performance or whatever. And that will eventually kill people and shortly thereafter our hobby!

Lets agree, that this "awesome" illegal footage should stay very, very private. How about that?

If I see something illegal, that puts my hobby and my daily work in danger, I tend to become very, very judging.....

That's an interesting take... The only thing I find amusing is the notion that our hobby can be destroyed through one accident. As I've said, I've heard this kind of thing for over 30 years from motorcycle guys. Does anyone know how many fires have been started from rocketry? How many fingers and eyes to fireworks? Lives to rock climbing, kayaking, sky diving, off roading, dirt biking, skate boarding, jetskiing, etc, etc, etc. I seriously don't understand why so many of you think that drone flying is one incident away from becoming illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada