DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The real cost of idiots on YOUTUBE?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry not that black and white. In Switzerland for example the recommendation is 150m max above rural areas and 300m max above urban areas.
And as you can read it is a RECOMMENDATION! So nothing stops you legally to go above these limits.

Different countries means different rules....the world does not only consist of the US of A!

I think he's under the impression that all of Europe has the same drone laws.

Reactions: Elliott and Weeron
In Greece it is max 150m height, max 500m dist, but always visual. On top your own national rules, if they are more restricting. It is no recommendation[emoji6]
Since Greece has a lot other problems, I guess you Will Not get caught...
So I remain with a statement: Know what you are doing and if it is illegal, do not post it on the internet!!!!

I think he's under the impression that all of Europe has the same drone laws.
It is the European Union (EU) where there might be some harmonised rules....but NO. Even the EU has different laws for each country when it comes to drones. EU seems to be restrictive as a whole though!

Well.... luckily Switzerland is not part of the EU.....and there are more countries like that in Europe!

In Greece it is max 150m height, max 500m dist, but always visual. On top your own national rules, if they are more restricting. It is no recommendation[emoji6]
Since Greece has a lot other problems, I guess you Will Not get caught...
So I remain with a statement: Know what you are doing and if it is illegal, do not post it on the internet!!!!

I think everyone agrees that you have to be aware of the laws of different countries regardless of what you are doing. As far as not posting illegal activities on You Tube, drone pilots can get in line behind all the other illegal activity videos on the internet! Hahaha!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone agrees that you have to be aware of the laws of different countries regardless of what you are doing. As far as not partying illegal activities on You Tube, drone pilots can get in line behind all the other illegal activity videos on the internet! Hahaha!

That may be true, but it still does not justify, doing the same stupid thing or applauding the idiot for doing it!
I will admit, that I too have flown my mavic illegal (knowing and unknowing;-(), but I would not be so stupid as to post those flights in question on the internet. That would risk to have even more restrictions put on everybody, aside from any possible legal action against myself.

I just pleed, that everybody here uses a little more common sense in what they do while flying with their drone in general and on the internet there after!

Some reports on birdstrikes... Just imagine, if it was something harder...

Incident: SAS B734 at Copenhagen on Jul 23rd 2013, bird strike

Incident: Eurowings A319 at Stuttgart on Aug 13th 2017, rejected takeoff due to one bird strike damaging both engines

This is what the common reader or viewer has in mind, rightfully so or not is not the point, when they endorse the next level of drone restrictions .... And frankly, I do not need that!

Reactions: Drone Police
It is the law;-(
As a commercial pilot flying in and out of Crete, I really do not like the attitude, of "lets fly where the good pictures are and **** the rules".

Of course it is very remote, that a commercial airliner hits a drone like the Mavic, but if it does, we all do not have a problem to get good, awesome pictures, but to fly at all.

If you know what you are doing, than a flight like this poses minimal dangers to others, so who cares...

But as soon as you put it on an public plattform like youtube or this forum, some idiot, who does NOT know what he is doing, will try to get a better picture, a better performance or whatever. And that will eventually kill people and shortly thereafter our hobby!

Lets agree, that this "awesome" illegal footage should stay very, very private. How about that?

If I see something illegal, that puts my hobby and my daily work in danger, I tend to become very, very judging.....

Depends where you are. There is noble in the USA #merica screaming

#justsaying.

It's a recommendation.

That may be true, but it still does not justify, doing the same stupid thing or applauding the idiot for doing it!
I will admit, that I too have flown my mavic illegal (knowing and unknowing;-(), but I would not be so stupid as to post those flights in question on the internet. That would risk to have even more restrictions put on everybody, aside from any possible legal action against myself.

I just pleed, that everybody here uses a little more common sense in what they do while flying with their drone in general and on the internet there after!

Incident: Eurowings A319 at Stuttgart on Aug 13th 2017, rejected takeoff due to one bird strike damaging both engines

This is what the common reader or viewer has in mind, rightfully so or not is not the point, when they endorse the next level of drone restrictions .... And frankly, I do not need that!

#DronePolice

Forgot one. This thread is silly. Posting all this doesn't change anything. No one will stop because they were enlightened by this thread.

So what's the point? To preach? Argue?

Max altitude is 120m and always have visual line of sight.

In Switzerland it's managed by the OFAC, some area you can't go above 150m but other free area there is nothing about limited height

So I guess from the last 3 pages, we have several chains of thought. People seem very emotional about this subject and I can understand to a point that people feel their 'rights' are being attacked. I've flown 'quads' for several years and seen the 'laws' change considerably and often due to the increase of drones, more to the point due to the increase in operators disregarding 'guidelines'.

I also have many friends who are commercial pilots who are currently at least in the UK (BALPA) lobbying to have drones regulated so strongly it will be easier to purchase class A drugs. The government are listening too, they have a whitepaper being reviewed.

So personally I'm eager to highlight the 'best practice' the guidelines that will enable me to continue capturing amazing videos and enjoying my hobby that I've invested thousands of pounds/dollars in. All of which will be wasted if the only answer is to restrict further the limited airspace we have as hobbyists.

Making sense of the reasoning given by some about the lack of danger from a drone is more and more ridiculous as you see Phantoms in the Middle East dropping explosive payloads onto peace keepers or pilots landing aircraft on military vessels unopposed. Whether you agree or disagree with the media and their continued persecution of drones, generally through very little understanding. Anyone with half a brain cell has to agree these toys/aircraft can, could and have been used to bring harm.

I know I'm not going to change the hardened '**** the police' droner, but if asking YOUTUBE to remove a piece of footage that inadvertently stops a 12 year old trying the same thing over a built up area or busy highway and fails causing death then I'll live with the condemnation from the rogue elements with the knowledge that I may get another year of this hobby before its regulated out of existence.

M.

#DronePolice

Forgot one. This thread is silly. Posting all this doesn't change anything. No one will stop because they were enlightened by this thread.

So what's the point? To preach? Argue?

Agreed this may aswell be trolling.
"Without starting a full on them and us battle" BUT..

Some sad angry people on this forum

Same 'rebel alliance' names always pop up. The unqualified, under educated with same BS arguments. Few numbers a Mavic falling from 2000m will hit the deck with the force of around 33000 lbs of force. That's not going to go well if your child is under it.

Okay, now calculate the probability of my child standing under a drone that's 2000m in the sky the exact moment that it falls to earth. Oh and aren't those numbers calculated in a vacuum or did you compensate for air resistance? I mean talk about worst case scenario! Yeesh!

So I guess from the last 3 pages, we have several chains of thought. People seem very emotional about this subject and I can understand to a point that people feel their 'rights' are being attacked. I've flown 'quads' for several years and seen the 'laws' change considerably and often due to the increase of drones, more to the point due to the increase in operators disregarding 'guidelines'.

I also have many friends who are commercial pilots who are currently at least in the UK (BALPA) lobbying to have drones regulated so strongly it will be easier to purchase class A drugs. The government are listening too, they have a whitepaper being reviewed.

So personally I'm eager to highlight the 'best practice' the guidelines that will enable me to continue capturing amazing videos and enjoying my hobby that I've invested thousands of pounds/dollars in. All of which will be wasted if the only answer is to restrict further the limited airspace we have as hobbyists.

Making sense of the reasoning given by some about the lack of danger from a drone is more and more ridiculous as you see Phantoms in the Middle East dropping explosive payloads onto peace keepers or pilots landing aircraft on military vessels unopposed. Whether you agree or disagree with the media and their continued persecution of drones, generally through very little understanding. Anyone with half a brain cell has to agree these toys/aircraft can, could and have been used to bring harm.

I know I'm not going to change the hardened '**** the police' droner, but if asking YOUTUBE to remove a piece of footage that inadvertently stops a 12 year old trying the same thing over a built up area or busy highway and fails causing death then I'll live with the condemnation from the rogue elements with the knowledge that I may get another year of this hobby before its regulated out of existence.

M.

I'm not talking about "rights" here and if you guys stand by in the UK and let that happen, that's on you. I can still walk into a Wal-Mart and buy a shot gun right now so I don't think that my "right " to buy a toy is going anywhere anytime soon. Oh and my classifying it as a "toy" isn't meant to be an insult, it is considered to be a toy by everyone. The store classifies it as a toy. Wal-Mart sold me a toy warranty when I bought my Karma. I mean seriously, i walked into Cabella's, a coupe days ago, bought a CO2 pellet gun and some throwing knives without so much as showing my ID. 15032438496012134150504.jpg

I couldn't make up my mind so i got these too! I think that's a lot of what fuels these arguments. The cultural differences between us. Having lived all over the world, I can just about tell where someone is from based on their replies to these threads. No that is not an insult, just an observation.

Up until a few years ago, kids in this country got driver's licenses at 16 after a week or two of driver's ed. I got my motorcycle endorsement after taking a 10 question written test. An 18 year old kid can buy a 200hp motorcycle and ride away from the dealership! We're a looonnnggg way from making it illegal for a grown man to buy a drone. 15032446376571493382852.jpg

That's an interesting take... The only thing I find amusing is the notion that our hobby can be destroyed through one accident. As I've said, I've heard this kind of thing for over 30 years from motorcycle guys. Does anyone know how many fires have been started from rocketry? How many fingers and eyes to fireworks? Lives to rock climbing, kayaking, sky diving, off roading, dirt biking, skate boarding, jetskiing, etc, etc, etc. I seriously don't understand why so many of you think that drone flying is one incident away from becoming illegal?

I'm pretty sure that you know that's not really a valid comparison. Risking ones own life and limb for the sake of recreation is very different to endangering others by reckless disregard for safety rules and guidelines, especially if "others" are passengers and crew on aircraft.

I think that there is a widespread belief that if a drone collided with an aircraft causing injury or death then quite draconian regulations would get drafted very promptly. I'd be very surprised if it didn't and I'm sure that it would disproportionately affect the unregulated recreational sector.

Aww I'm not "justifying" anything, nor am I "enabling" anything or whatever. Here's the thing that bothers me about this thread, and these threads in general. It's also what prompted me to liken this to the notion that unless you condemn something a member of your "group" does, you're guilty of whatever crime he's committed. In other words, because I haven't condemned this guy, I'm suddenly a "rebel", an "idiot", a "monkey", or any number of other insults. Even though, for all we know, YOU have personally flown in a less responsible manner than I have. I don't feel it's my job, right, responsibility or duty to lecture you, or anyone else in the use of their personal property, whatever that may be. That's where we, and others here differ. You and some others seem to believe that because we all engage in the same hobby, you somehow have the right, from halfway across the world btw, to tell me how I should be allowed to operate my personal property. Regardless of what the actual laws are concerning the subject. That's where we differ and will probably always differ on this and any regulation type subject.

Reactions: reckless
I'm pretty sure that you know that's not really a valid comparison. Risking ones own life and limb for the sake of recreation is very different to endangering others by reckless disregard for safety rules and guidelines, especially if "others" are passengers and crew on aircraft.

I think that there is a widespread belief that if a drone collided with an aircraft causing injury or death then quite draconian regulations would get drafted very promptly. I'd be very surprised if it didn't and I'm sure that it would disproportionately affect the unregulated recreational sector.

Whoa, guys are doing wheelies down the freeway at over 100 miles per hour. There have been many, many accidents involving sport bikes traveling at high speed. I personally know of at least a dozen people that are dead from motorcycle accidents. Then we can talk about sports cars that have killed passengers and innocent bystanders. No one, in this country, is seriously trying to outlaw GSXRs or Corvettes. You Tube is full of videos of people doing crazy stuff and I have yet to even hear of anyone getting arrested. I'm not saying it's never happened, I just saying that I know ALOT of stunters that have posted videos over the years... I may have been in a few myself...

As far as rules following an incident go, I can see that part of your argument holding some water but at worst, I think that the guidelines as far as airports go would become laws, there may be some kind of registration push again and perhaps a license may be necessary. Even that would have a hard time getting passed in this country, in my opinion. People have rented trucks, blown up buildings and run down people, yet I can still walk into U Haul and rent a 24' truck whenever I want. Heck, people have walked into schools and shot people down and I can still walk into a store and buy a rifle or a shotgun. I just don't see this as a one and done scenario, at least not in this country and definitely not nationwide. If something went down in New York, I could see some laws getting passed but it's unlikely that it would affect me in Michigan. You see what I mean?

I couldn't make up my mind so i got these too! I think that's a lot of what fuels these arguments. The cultural differences between us. Having lived all over the world, I can just about tell where someone is from based on their replies to these threads. No that is not an insult, just an observation.

Up until a few years ago, kids in this country got driver's licenses at 16 after a week or two of driver's ed. I got my motorcycle endorsement after taking a 10 question written test. An 18 year old kid can buy a 200hp motorcycle and ride away from the dealership! We're a looonnnggg way from making it illegal for a grown man to buy a drone. View attachment 20172
Slightly off topic but why are you purchasing throwing knifes and replica Co2 pistols? Not the best reflection on your mental state, a little worrying to be fair. Should we be letting the FBI know? ;)

Whoa, guys are doing wheelies down the freeway at over 100 miles per hour. There have been many, many accidents involving sport bikes traveling at high speed. I personally know of at least a dozen people that are dead from motorcycle accidents. Then we can talk about sports cars that have killed passengers and innocent bystanders. No one, in this country, is seriously trying to outlaw GSXRs or Corvettes. You Tube is full of videos of people doing crazy stuff and I have yet to even hear of anyone getting arrested. I'm not saying it's never happened, I just saying that I know ALOT of stunters that have posted videos over the years... I may have been in a few myself...

Now you are cherry picking. The bulk of your post was about recreational activities that rarely injure uninvolved parties, not about reckless driving. Yes - reckless driving, or riding, has claimed the lives of others. It's also illegal, whether or not anyone gets hurt, with license, registration and insurance required and substantial legal and financial penalties to deter bad behavior. If you have never heard of anyone getting arrested for that then you have led a more sheltered life than your posts imply.

Just out of interest - what do you think would be the fallout from a drone/aircraft collision that resulted in injuries or fatalities, even if it were just a small, general aviation incident?

Rather than rush off topic and get personal opinions I think the idea of this thread was to gather a quick idea of how many 'Mavic' specific operators actually condone or at least have no problem with illegal activities. I think it's pretty much a 50/50 split. Those who do and those who don't.

Interesting result, not surprising though. In the sister group for 'Inspire' pilots it seems overwhelmingly that people are against such activities and will actively report individuals. Simple reasoning behind this shift in attitude can be put down to 'investment', most 'Inspire' owners have invested over 4k in their drones and a large number also hold licences to fly for financial gains.

So in conclusion, small investment = disposable life style, large investment = responsibility or large loss.

PS. trying to justify illegal activities in turn condones them and further more incites them. if you are a victim of any crime what so ever, just think about whether you brought it up on yourself....

:)

Reactions: Drone Police
Slightly off topic but why are you purchasing throwing knifes and replica Co2 pistols? Not the best reflection on your mental state, a little worrying to be fair. Should we be letting the FBI know? ;)

Because I can! Because I learned to throw knives from my grand pa. Because pellets are cheaper target practice rounds than bullets. Because I also own several swords from different parts of the world. Oh and another fun fact, switch blades might become legal here and a law was rescinded making it illegal for me to walk down the street wearing a sword! Heck, I live in a state where I can open carry my Dessert Eagle or my real Sig 226 without a permit so there's a little insight as to why we differ so much on this subject. You're worried about how I fly my 2lb drone and I'm allowed to walk down the street with a 357 automatic on my hip, a sword and a shot gun on my back and throwing knives attached to my belt. Hahaha! I'm even allowed to have a silencer on it if I want! Then I'll get on my 180hp motorcycle, with no helmet and ride around town until I run out of 1/2 pound per liter gas! Hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986