DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The real cost of idiots on YOUTUBE?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's fully off the rails.

By the way, people fly airplanes all the time? No one worries about those falling from the sky?

Now you are cherry picking. The bulk of your post was about recreational activities that rarely injure uninvolved parties, not about reckless driving. Yes - reckless driving, or riding, has claimed the lives of others. It's also illegal, whether or not anyone gets hurt, with license, registration and insurance required and substantial legal and financial penalties to deter bad behavior. If you have never heard of anyone getting arrested for that then you have led a more sheltered life than your posts imply.

Just out of interest - what do you think would be the fallout from a drone/aircraft collision that resulted in injuries or fatalities, even if it were just a small, general aviation incident?

Dang these international forums! I don't know of anyone getting arrested because of a YouTube video. I've gotten reckless driving charges. What a surprise, right?!? I'm not trying to cherry pick, I'm trying to find any example, that I'm personally familiar with, that I can use to at least get you guys to understand my position. I completely understand yours btw. I just don't agree that one instance of a guy flying a drone "irresponsibly" resulting an accident is going to cause a nation wide ban on drones. I also don't see it as my responsibility to try and force or brow beat someone else to operate their equipment in a manner that I believe is responsible, especially if what he's doing isn't illegal!

I've already stated that I can see some local incident causing a locality to enact some laws. We've already seen an individual "pilot" or two get fined after an accident where someone was injured. That I have no problem with regardless of the instrument of injury. If I'm throwing my knives in a crowded park and I miss stabbing someone in the leg, I would expect repercussions. What I won't do is go on every knife throwing forum, you tube video or Facebook post showing someone throwing a knife in public and condemn him for it. I'm all about personal responsibility not group think.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FAA allows amateur rocketry clubs high altitude flights in certain locations. They could do the same for drones I suppose.

Reactions: UAVMan

By the way, people fly airplanes all the time? No one worries about those falling from the sky?
Come on @TheLightSpeed! you can't seriously be comparing the maintenance, pre-flight and licensing involved in ensuring the safety of an aircraft to turning on a Mavic and holding the up stick?

Nope they have licenses! I have friends that fly ultra lights and they don't need a license for that. You'd think that there would have been so many accidents involving commercial aircraft considering how high they can go...weird, huh?

Come on @TheLightSpeed! you can't seriously be comparing the maintenance, pre-flight and licensing involved in ensuring the safety of an aircraft to turning on a Mavic and holding the up stick?

See my ultra light reply... You can buy one for about $4000 and take off from your back yard!

b16dd60503748b11017e4f03ba779d2b.jpg

Can someone please explain how the guy did this? Just so we know how not to do it

PS: Still Stunting at 52 yrs old Lon. Props to you

Rather than rush off topic and get personal opinions I think the idea of this thread was to gather a quick idea of how many 'Mavic' specific operators actually condone or at least have no problem with illegal activities. I think it's pretty much a 50/50 split. Those who do and those who don't.

Interesting result, not surprising though. In the sister group for 'Inspire' pilots it seems overwhelmingly that people are against such activities and will actively report individuals. Simple reasoning behind this shift in attitude can be put down to 'investment', most 'Inspire' owners have invested over 4k in their drones and a large number also hold licences to fly for financial gains.

So in conclusion, small investment = disposable life style, large investment = responsibility or large loss.

PS. trying to justify illegal activities in turn condones them and further more incites them. if you are a victim of any crime what so ever, just think about whether you brought it up on yourself....

:)

Of course people who are more "invested" care more. That is not news. It's why someone invested in any business care more about it than others. Anybody who gets something for free won't care about it as much as if they had worked for it.

I guess @Lon Denard has a good point, this seems to be more of a USA and the rest of the world thing. #wildwest

Yee Haw! Some common ground! Did you see my ultra light example? I had forgotten about that until I got a post from my friend flying his on Facebook! I can literally take some money out of the bank, buy one, put it together and be flying in a matter of hours. 250lb man in a 250lb plane potentially flying as high as 10,000'! I've only been up about 1,000' myself. Then there's paragliders to consider which are even cheaper to buy.airchopper_Kenya3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone please explain how the guy did this? Just so we know how not to do it

Not as much anymore, honey. I still ride fast but I keep the front wheel on the ground these days...for the most part.

Um just don't fly that high.... Hahaha! Heck, you can set your maximum height to 100' if you want.

Of course people who are more "invested" care more. That is not news. It's why someone invested in any business care more about it than others. Anybody who gets something for free won't care about it as much as if they had worked for it.

I think there's the professional or licensed Part 107 crowd vs the average Joe catching a few clips with his kids at the beach. It's the same as me and a buddy jumping into his ultra light and flying around vs a guy flying to Chicago for business. It's two different things with two different attitudes.

Exactly. It's not right or wrong. It just is. It's a fact of human nature.

Exactly. It's not right or wrong. It just is. It's a fact of human nature.

Very true! I always come back to personal responsibility and frankly, the law. It's not illegal to fly over 400' high. That's the bottom line for me. I understand that presumably it is against the law where this guy was, fair enough but I still don't see it as my responsibility to admonish him from the other side of the world. Especially considering, again, that's it's perfectly legal for me to do the same thing if I choose.

Your Mavic has a million less components and wearable parts than a typical jet. Not to mention the small prop planes with VW motors are scary as hell.

Things are in the air all around us. Safety is a perception and state of mind.

The law of averages state something bad will happen eventually. But we can't wait around being scared of it.

You have a 10 trillion more chance of death by a vehicle driving through your home than you do a Mavic falling and hitting you on the forehead

Stupidity doesn't discriminate. A dumb person can kill someone else with a toilet paper roll.

By the way, I can't tell you when I randomly saw a drone in the sky that wasn't mine.

There just isn't as many drones in the air as we all think. One drone for every 3,000 aircraft. It's like hitting the lottery if you get hit by a drone.

Also as for the airplane etc. yes a drone could damage a airplane. But take it down? I'm not so convinced and Pilots I know that fly me around for work agree. Even a Lear Jet can take a bird in the intake and land safely. The odds aren't in this favor.

You would almost have to have TWO OR THREE DRONES to get all the motors and render the jet a falling paperweight.

I guess @Lon Denard has a good point, this seems to be more of a USA and the rest of the world thing. #wildwest

Hey UAVman I can tell you're a good guy with good intentions. I realize you're not arguing for the sake of arguing.

But I live in Arizona. People still pack guns on their hips all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying