DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The smart controller rises.....

amstar

Reactions
Decent run to the usual programmed max. distance.
Occusync II proving it’s worth. Wasted power following a wrong line of direction in the end and had to land in my backyard. A battery mod prob would be useful now.

Last edited:
Decent run to the usual programmed max. distance.
Occusync II proving it’s worth. Wasted power following a wrong line of direction in the end and had to land in my backyard. A battery mod prob would be useful now.

Looks like the 31 minute battery only lasted, barely, 16 minutes.

I will refer to this excellent discussion from the Phantom forum re work, efficiency, optimal flying conditions for these motors:

This was by no means optimal. I knew it and was prepared. Upper atmospheric conditions (6-700feet to go over the mountains) were also adverse. DJI advertised max HD transmission range of 8km and a flying time of 31 mins are two separate variables each achieved under ideal conditions. One is the inverse of the other as you lose efficiency faster you travel.
There were some issues with the range of the SC and that was being tested today, which I'm pleased to say worked awesome.
Under normal flying conditions, SRTH triggers around 3.8 miles.

Agreed on the 31' vs 8k range but you will get more mileage by flying more economically, i.e not in sports modes (except on a slow P-Mode aircraft like the Spark). This has been tested many times.

All the variables can be changed incl flight switch mapping, as I’m sure you are aware. Unless you have a battery mod, flying optimal for range testing is not a good idea under real world conditions. Either you won’t get the range or you won’t make it back. Distance covered per watt*sec spend can be maximized using DJI assistant.

Last edited:
I will refer to this excellent discussion from the Phantom forum re work, efficiency, optimal flying conditions for these motors:

This was by no means optimal. I knew it and was prepared. Upper atmospheric conditions (6-700feet to go over the mountains) were also adverse. DJI advertised max HD transmission range of 8km and a flying time of 31 mins are two separate variables each achieved under ideal conditions. One is the inverse of the other as you lose efficiency faster you travel.
There were some issues with the range of the SC and that was being tested today, which I'm pleased to say worked awesome.
Under normal flying conditions, SRTH triggers around 3.8 miles.
You can also consider the DJI quoted specifications for the M2 which claim max flight distance is achieved at 50km/hr.

You can also consider the DJI quoted specifications for the M2 which claim max flight distance is achieved at 50km/hr.

That is garbage in garbage out. GIGO
Under what conditions is this maximum distance achieved?=> ambient wind, wind direction, Relative humidity And barometric pressure, aircraft altitude, aircraft maneuvers during flight, all up weight of the aircraft, etc. etc. etc.
Do you have any information on any of these from DJI?

That is garbage in garbage out. GIGO
Under what conditions is this maximum distance achieved?=> ambient wind, wind direction, Relative humidity And barometric pressure, aircraft altitude, aircraft maneuvers during flight, all up weight of the aircraft, etc. etc. etc.
Do you have any information on any of these from DJI?
Assume your etc etc etc are consistent for a trial at various speeds. The 50km will still prove out.

Let’s take just one variable: why do you wanna fly into the wind when you start?

Let’s take just one variable: why do you wanna fly into the wind when you start?
Obviously you would fly into the wind if you had the option. Assume you flew various speeds into the wind for the purpose of determining to what extent the factors you mentioned have any relevance.

Let me explain. The behavior of the individual cells in the battery is unpredictable. At the beginning of the flight they can withstand quite severe V fluctuations as in when you are climbing and accelerating forward together (1). IMG_0231.JPG
When the battery gets to 30% add biochemical factors thrown into the mix and so which of the cells has born the brunt is variable. DJI advices to land at approximately 30% battery (2). IMG_0232.JPGBy the time the battery gets to 10% things are all over the place. In the graph you see whereas cell 1 & 4 started the strongest (V)by the end they were the ones that failed (3). IMG_0233.JPG
Hence it’s advisable, to complete the most arduous part of the flight by the time your battery reaches 50%. The first 50 and the second 50 are not the same which is of crucial importance in range flights.
The cell voltage graphs are from the recent Mavic2 16K round trip.

Point taken but this is a bad example to prove it. 15mv deviation is nothing to worry about. Anything up to 100mv seems to be fine in practice. Particularly now that our DJI toys will limit propulsion in a effort to reduce current demand and voltage sag below LVC.

Each AC has an optimum airspeed to realise greatest distance for any given mah used. In the phantoms it is pretty much flat stick. In the M2 somewhat less.

No question heading out into the wind must improve your prospects of making it home.

WTB is going to be in my dreams tonight as he has taken my point.
If you can aim for closer to 50km cruise when your next inclined to go for a distance run. You will have more than 10% remaining on return. Unless the wind changes in you that is.

I have seen more than one video of a DJI UAV landing with 0% battery indicated. This tells me that there is a designed reserve on some level. I'm not a distance guy, and I normally max out what I can do with 20% or so on landing, but I can see why you do it. Respect!!

What wonderful news! I can’t wait until my ‘early adopter’ status puts me in DJI alpha testing purgatory.

DJI’s ‘Smart’ controller has cost me so much more in opportunity lost business.

There are too many UAV options (at better price points) that will earn one’s income objectives.

My M2P was the last DJI UAV I will ever buy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prits_uk2002