DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There is NO DOUBT - Magnetic Connectors FAIL on the Mavic 2 RC or Phone Link (Solved)

Rockowe

Reactions
Since I received My AWSOME Magnetic USB Connectors (Very Strong and Robust) - I tested Multiple Ways to Use them on My Mavic PRO and Mavic 2 Setups.
I was so happy about the Quick Pop on/off - Easy of Use - I could get Up and Flying within Seconds - without Damaging the connectors-

I was super excited By the Way I could USE the MAIN USB Plug on the RC - Permanently connected - with Just the (Magnetic) Clip-On, Once My Phone was SQUARELY Seated in the Housing-

- But then (in flight) I noticed My drone was Drifting a Rotating LEFT !!!! - when Hovering.
- It slowly turned 2-5deg per second !!
It was a stronger drift in TRIPOD Mode than in SPORT mode-

To TEST this - The same thing Happened on BOTH setups with the Two Mavics -
It was only when I saw the YouTube Benchmark Test - and the Discussion on how Magnets affect the RC, did I realise that the LEFT Magnet connected to My Phone was the Culprit !!! - It was too close to the Left Joystick-

Solution - AFTER CALIBRATING the RC (DJI Go4) WITH my new Magnetic Setup, EVERYTHING Worked Perfectly-

Just a HeadsUP !!

Ok, here the subject of the USB Magnetic connector has risen again. I am the one that seems to be cursed using them on my MAVIC 2 ZOOM. I have decided to do away with them on that particular AirCraft. SO here it is on the 1st round using and testing them on the MAVIC AIR. I have been using them for 7 days straight on the Air. There have been 0 affects on the Air. What I still have going on which is another topic is the same problem others have. When I first start up the Air and ride up several feet the Air turns about 12 degrees to the right and if it turns to the left it turns about half that 6 degrees. BUT, back to the subject at hand. NO issues with the magnetic connectors with the Mavic Air as of this day.

Are you guys using the whole magnetic cable setup? Or do you just have the magnetic cable end left in? I have a magnetic cable but just for charging. I do leave the part in the remote for convenience, and haven’t noticed any problems. I wonder if the strong magnet is in the cable part?

In my M2Z I had the little connector attached to the RC 24/7. I Used the USB at the bottom of RC for the Data part. Some people took it as if I were using the Magnetic cable system for data and connected to the device. Phone,Tablet etc. Nooooo.....I been having good luck with the Magnetic cable setup with the Mavic Air.....

Ok, here the subject of the USB Magnetic connector has risen again. I am the one that seems to be cursed using them on my MAVIC 2 ZOOM. I have decided to do away with them on that particular AirCraft. SO here it is on the 1st round using and testing them on the MAVIC AIR. I have been using them for 7 days straight on the Air. There have been 0 affects on the Air. What I still have going on which is another topic is the same problem others have. When I first start up the Air and ride up several feet the Air turns about 12 degrees to the right and if it turns to the left it turns about half that 6 degrees. BUT, back to the subject at hand. NO issues with the magnetic connectors with the Mavic Air as of this day.
The turning you speak of IS AN EFFECT of the magnets - Try do a RC Sticks calibration

The only thing about that fix that would concern me is that the phone can move in the holder relative to the RC, and that would change the magnetic field at the Hall Effect sensor in the stick. I'm not sure that it is a robust solution. Easily tested though.
Hi SAR - (Its a Valid Point)
… but The Home Button on My Phone is Positioned in the Fixed Indent in the Holder-
So The Idea is that the Phone Fits snugly into the LEFT Fixed Position each time - ...
ie: same distance - Same effect -
The Best would Be to NOT have any Magnets near the Sticks -
Maybe the Magnetic Part should be designed rather on the LARGE USB connector instead of the Small:

Alternatively Just to Trash the Magnetic Idea-
Although it will preserve the Phone Connector- and more importantly - So Easy!!!
I use the Same Connector (Magnet) on a different Cable for Computer Data to the Phone (USB ADB) etc - while it charges-

But your Point is VALID and taken - but SO far there's no further rotational drift - with the Latest calibration on 4x flights

The turning you speak of IS AN EFFECT of the magnets - Try do a RC Sticks calibration
I will do a RC Calibration for M2Z and update the results......ok my fellow drone pilot friends..

Since I received My AWSOME Magnetic USB Connectors (Very Strong and Robust) - I tested Multiple Ways to Use them on My Mavic PRO and Mavic 2 Setups.
I was so happy about the Quick Pop on/off - Easy of Use - I could get Up and Flying within Seconds - without Damaging the connectors-

I was super excited By the Way I could USE the MAIN USB Plug on the RC - Permanently connected - with Just the (Magnetic) Clip-On, Once My Phone was SQUARELY Seated in the Housing-

- But then (in flight) I noticed My drone was Drifting a Rotating LEFT !!!! - when Hovering.
- It slowly turned 2-5deg per second !!
It was a stronger drift in TRIPOD Mode than in SPORT mode-

To TEST this - The same thing Happened on BOTH setups with the Two Mavics -
It was only when I saw the YouTube Benchmark Test - and the Discussion on how Magnets affect the RC, did I realise that the LEFT Magnet connected to My Phone was the Culprit !!! - It was too close to the Left Joystick-

Solution - AFTER CALIBRATING the RC (DJI Go4) WITH my new Magnetic Setup, EVERYTHING Worked Perfectly-

Just a HeadsUP !!
Can you show which connectors you purchased. Looking into getting some for my MP. thx. Great info.

What are magnetic connectors suppose to do, avoid disconnects?

What are magnetic connectors suppose to do, avoid disconnects?

They comprise a small adapter that stays in the USB socket, with a cable that attaches magnetically to the adapter. It avoids repeatedly inserting and removing the USB plug and breaks away if the cable is pulled without putting much stress on the socket.

Reactions: ff22
Thanks, any links?

Amazon doesn’t show them when you search for Mavic 2 Pro Lightning cables.

For example:

Hmm, those are USB to micro USB with magnet connectors?

I thought you guys were talking about the micro USB to Lightning or whatever for the controller.

But is it more reliable to plug into the USB port at the bottom and then to the phone?

Hmm, those are USB to micro USB with magnet connectors?

I thought you guys were talking about the micro USB to Lightning or whatever for the controller.

But is it more reliable to plug into the USB port at the bottom and then to the phone?

I always use the lower USB-A port. It's much more robust than the micro-USB on the side. And what some people are doing is leaving a magnetic adapter in the micro-USB port for charging the RC.

I always use the lower USB-A port. It's much more robust than the micro-USB on the side. And what some people are doing is leaving a magnetic adapter in the micro-USB port for charging the RC.

So that cable just hang down from the controller and the phone when you're using it?

Or have you found some short cables which work between the USB-A port and a phone in the bracket?

So that cable just hang down from the controller and the phone when you're using it?

Or have you found some short cables which work between the USB-A port and a phone in the bracket?

Thanks.

Any advantage though in having a right angle plug for the Lightning?

I use a NetDot magnetic USB cable with a 'micro-USB-B' tip to charge my RC Controller. I use a short USB-A to USB-C cable from the lower USB port on the controller to my Android phone. I did leave the micro-USB tip in the controller and all was OK for a while. But after a few months, I noticed that on power-up, I would get warning beeps from my controller, with stick calibration error messages. When I removed the NetDot micro-USB tip from the controller, all was OK - no beeps, no errors.

My conclusion was that even though the 'Magnet' is in the block on the end of the NetDot cable, the removable metal tip becomes more magnetic in its own right, the more it's used. Leaving it plugged into the side of the controller means that it then becomes a magnetic influence on the left-side Hall Effect transducers used to interpret stick movement.

I still use the NetDot cable to charge the controller, but simply use the green light in the tip to ensure that I have the connector the correct way round so I don't break the socket!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000