DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

They wanted to steal my drone

Hi there Thankyou for your reply . I wasn’t sure if you new what I was describing. Sometimes I go fly at a moment’s notice , say if there is a beautiful sunset etc , so unfortunately I’m alone anyway , and apart from the forum I don’t know any drone flyers at the moment who I could hook up with . ? Thanks again , regards Mick

Perhaps joining those of us who fly and conceal carry would put your mind at more ease?

Reactions: Mick Tonks
If surrounded by potentially aggressive people, the last thing I would do is spray them with red dye! Bit like throwing rocks and sticks at a bear your just asking for trouble!
Speaking of bears, bear spray would be a good deterrent I would think, but you would have to announce that you have it. Overall, I think aiming the drone to a clearing and selecting Land NOW and making a clean getaway sounds safest. Find the drone later.

Hi there , I live in Leeds and took my MA2 to Temple Newsam approximately 7.30am this morning . I hadn’t been there that long and I noticed blokes pointing and looking in my direction . I could tell something was going to happen as they approached me asking about the drone I was flying . I started to panic and the only thing I could think of was to put the drone as far away from me as possible as to slow them down getting my drone if I was over powered , And hopefully I could try to get myself some help . I told them that my drone was well over a mile away as I tried to put some distance between us as I headed toward a footpath where there would be dog walkers . I think the drones distance put them off as they moved away . As anybody had a similar experience and how did you handle the situation. I’ve just purchased some red dye attack spray and a panic alarm from eBay . Thanks for any reply’s . Regards.....Mick .

I was scanning this quickly and thinking - "Gosh, where the (Mod Removed Language))does he live?". Then, after finishing the message I returned to the beginning and saw "Leeds". Say no more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiflyer201 has the answer. You can chuck into the conversation that you are recceing a police crime scene. And as already said, just make sure you are insured...

I also have a minor concern when photing wildlife.I carry several grands worth of camera and lens, and go to quiet country places. But don't let the minor risk spoil your fun....

Perhaps joining those of us who fly and conceal carry would put your mind at more ease?
You will note that the OP is from Leeds in the UK where handguns are largely banned altogether. To be honest, in most situations I don't think I would want to be carrying. I'm more afraid of over-zealous prosecutors and $400/hr+ attorneys fees than the criminals taking my $1500 drone, should there ever be a need to draw one's weapon, let alone fire it.

Hi @Mick Tonks, I also fly in Temple Newsam. I'm not sure how well you know the area but there's rougher parts to it than others. When I fly there I like to be out of sight from anybody else, get the drone in the air and zip it in sports mode at least a few hundred meters away from me over the trees. The best end to fly is the Colton end. Don't fly on the drone on the north/east side near Halton/Whitkirk. I'm surprised that you had ant trouble at that time of day to be honest.

I've done you a map of the place where I fly. The green cross is the best because it's quite high up (good signal) and it's out of the way and behind a hedge. The red bit is where I wouldn't fly because you'll get attention.

Don't use that paint stuff, you'll spoil their tracksuits and it will just escalate things. The police won't do anything even if you did get them

map.png

From that green cross I managed to take this

I think my guidance here is just avoid people! Hope this helps

James

Reactions: dino9832
Hi @Mick Tonks, I also fly in Temple Newsam. I'm not sure how well you know the area but there's rougher parts to it than others. When I fly there I like to be out of sight from anybody else, get the drone in the air and zip it in sports mode at least a few hundred meters away from me over the trees. The best end to fly is the Colton end. Don't fly on the drone on the north/east side near Halton/Whitkirk. I'm surprised that you had ant trouble at that time of day to be honest.

I've done you a map of the place where I fly. The green cross is the best because it's quite high up (good signal) and it's out of the way and behind a hedge. The red bit is where I wouldn't fly because you'll get attention.

Don't use that paint stuff, you'll spoil their tracksuits and it will just escalate things. The police won't do anything even if you did get them

View attachment 112517

From that green cross I managed to take this

I think my guidance here is just avoid people! Hope this helps

James
Hi James , Thankyou for the reply and info . On the red boundary circle on the map I was situated at about 4 o’clock . I wanted to fly towards the house but using the trees as a focal point but then gaining height to reveal the house then towards the small farm yard then onwards to the ponded area and then back on myself to complete the circle . I’m definitely going back to get the clip . I liked your clip also . And James , yes I was surprised especially at that time of a morning. I’m not bothering with the red dye spray as I’ve invested in a body camcorder and if it happens again I’m gunna run like ( Mod Removed Language)??? . Keep safe mate and enjoy your hobby . I know I will . Regards.....Mick .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jamesdc
It's amazing how much an orange vest with an ID hanging off it and a few cones help. Suddenly you're "official." Still attracts attention but its a bit more cautious.

well if you lived in the USA you could buy yourself an AK47. (LOL). Joking of course.
Yep! lol
In America, there's two words WHEN USED LEGALLY
Conceal/Carry
??

I sometimes get approached by people asking about my drone and they always liked the way it looks but I have not had any problems with any one yet
I told one of them that I was using my drone for a early warning system in case of
Danger and etc
lol I think I have a crowd of people liking my drone flying around [emoji846][emoji3][emoji927]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580